Coral Vue Hydros

Corals for Shaded Areas

SelectedByNature

SelectedByNature

I was hoping for thoughts on corals for shaded areas.

I like my aquascape but it does provide a lot of shaded areas and also places on the far side of rocks that don't get much/any direct light.

I looked at others sources and threads and this is what I gathered: 

Shade coral possibilities:
- Blasto
- Certain Chalices
- Cynarinas 
- Montipora Setosa
- Feather Duster

Non-Photosynthetic
- Dendros
- Sun Coral 

Aggressive (6-10" sweepers)
- Favia 
- Platygyra.

Thoughts?

You could add mushrooms to the list. They may get a bit washed out bit will show colors with little light I M E . Dendros and sun corals need feeding 

Some of the others may thrive but I think you may not get the colors they are capable of.

SelectedByNature
4 hours ago, jambon said:

You could add mushrooms to the list. They may get a bit washed out bit will show colors with little light I M E . Dendros and sun corals need feeding 

Some of the others may thrive but I think you may not get the colors they are capable of.

I can definitely consider mushrooms (although I have many already). I suppose I could relocate some however they've mostly moved off plugs and onto actual rock at this point so I'm hesitant to relocate them.

I already struggle with nutrients and algae and have several Acans that I feed so I feel that NPS corals are probably a no-go too.

So my other choices will have very limited colour with indirect light?

Thanks for commenting!

Corals that don't require direct or high light won't necessarily look dull in shaded areas because those corals often become dull or lose colour when they are in bright light.

Depends on how shaded the area is.

I've had hammers on the edge of my tank, low light area and they did better than in the lit areas.

My favia dragon soul has done better and it's now 20180110_124018.thumb.jpg.90a56108995348fb11912890fd789ad6.jpgunder a rock crevice and shaded by my leather

Blastos don't seem to do well in high light, chalice are another good choice, brains often don't like high light, fungia plates are another one.

If it's a completely dark area, you would have to go with nps but then they need feeding so feather dusters would be a good option.

20180110_124045.jpg

• Like 1
SelectedByNature
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Corals that don't require direct or high light won't necessarily look dull in shaded areas because those corals often become dull or lose colour when they are in bright light.

20180110_124045.jpg

Wow looking great! Thanks for commenting!

22 hours ago, Sjadet said:

Gorgonians, Bipinnate, Menella, Flower Trees, Sponge (?)

zoas will usually live in shaded areas aswell, but will not have as bright colors.

Excellent thanks. I should be able to find something appropriate within these lists after some research!

On 18/01/2018 at 4:54 PM, Clown79 said:

I've had hammers on the edge of my tank, low light area and they did better than in the lit areas.

My favia dragon soul has done better and it's now 20180110_124018.thumb.jpg.90a56108995348fb11912890fd789ad6.jpgunder a rock crevice and shaded by my leather

Blastos don't seem to do well in high light, chalice are another good choice, brains often don't like high light, fungia plates are another one.

If it's a completely dark area, you would have to go with nps but then they need feeding so feather dusters would be a good option.

20180110_124045.jpg

I like the color of  the edges of the favia corals. And they are quite easy to grow.  I have a war coral with great polyp extension and it eats like a champ.

• Like 1

Mushrooms definitely. Blastos yes. Maze brains yes. Palythoa grandis (cinnamon polyp) comes from depths of around 70-80 feet in the wild and will also do well in low light areas.

• Thanks 1
SelectedByNature
On 1/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, jambon said:

I like the color of  the edges of the favia corals. And they are quite easy to grow.  I have a war coral with great polyp extension and it eats like a champ.

Haha yeah they have some mad colours. They're mad aggressive too though!

SelectedByNature
5 hours ago, OPtasia said:

Mushrooms definitely. Blastos yes. Maze brains yes. Palythoa grandis (cinnamon polyp) comes from depths of around 70-80 feet in the wild and will also do well in low light areas.

Geez, its amazing the sea isn't only mushrooms with how Hardy they are!

Maze brains is Platygyra correct?

flatlandreefer

I have a leptoseris and leptastrea that are both in shaded areas, they seem to prefer being shaded from indirect light and are doing well.  They are close to the edge of my tank so i'm sure they receive some light that bounces off the glass.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SelectedByNature said:

Geez, its amazing the sea isn't only mushrooms with how Hardy they are!

Maze brains is Platygyra correct?

Yes but the mouths will lose their green color and turn yellow/pale without atleast some light. They don't exactly stand out in the crowd :P

• Like 1