ReeferND

30l Build

billygoat

Sorry to hear about the blenny. 5 inches is a pretty good size; it's possible he just got old. But it sounds from your description of his behavior that he may have had an internal parasite or some similar condition that ended up starving him out. That's the thing with fish; a lot of the time you just never really know what happens to them, and that can be pretty vexing. 😓

ReeferND

@billygoat Yeah, it's never easy to see something you care for die. I have a UV sterilizer on the tank in the hope to avoid any parasites, it has been on since day 1. I always have to remind myself of the countless fish that die in LFS around the world. At least I gave Benny a solid 7 months of a good life (I hope anyway) as opposed to just dying at the store. My LFS are awesome guys and great reefers but they are constantly getting new orders in and I know there is no way they are selling that many fish in my small town. I am probably fooling myself but it helps me sleep. 

Anyway, enough whining,  I have a legit question for anyone reading...... I have an algae problem. Pretty sure it is just green hair algae. Its red under my lights but green when I turn lights on or take some out of the tank. Most of it is in the "sump" of the tank but I do have some on the rocks too. Benny never ate the stuff, he (from day 1) always just ate the pellet and mysis I fed the other fish. GFO didn't work and I hate running gfo for very long. I would prefer a natural way....like a fish. Any suggestions besides algae blenny

• Like 1

billygoat
15 hours ago, ReeferND said:

@billygoat Yeah, it's never easy to see something you care for die. I have a UV sterilizer on the tank in the hope to avoid any parasites, it has been on since day 1. I always have to remind myself of the countless fish that die in LFS around the world. At least I gave Benny a solid 7 months of a good life (I hope anyway) as opposed to just dying at the store. My LFS are awesome guys and great reefers but they are constantly getting new orders in and I know there is no way they are selling that many fish in my small town. I am probably fooling myself but it helps me sleep. 

Anyway, enough whining,  I have a legit question for anyone reading...... I have an algae problem. Pretty sure it is just green hair algae. Its red under my lights but green when I turn lights on or take some out of the tank. Most of it is in the "sump" of the tank but I do have some on the rocks too. Benny never ate the stuff, he (from day 1) always just ate the pellet and mysis I fed the other fish. GFO didn't work and I hate running gfo for very long. I would prefer a natural way....like a fish. Any suggestions besides algae blenny

I know just how you feel about all the fish languishing in little cubes in LFS all around the world. I really do feel bad for them, especially since so many of them are cared for by people who know very little about their individual needs and probably would not have the resources to meet those needs even if they did know. But I like to think that we hobbyists are at least helping out by taking what few of those fish we can and trying to give them a better life after all they have been through. 😞

Of course, it's also true that if it wasn't for us and the demand we create, LFS in general wouldn't even be a thing... so there's certainly a lot to think about there. 🤔

As for the algae, hermit crabs and emerald crabs can be great for eating hair algae. Certain larger snails (Turbo, Trochus, etc.) will also plow through the stuff, though many other snails will probably not be very interested. Sea urchins are also great for removing hair algae, but can also bulldoze your rockwork unless everything is very firmly glued together. If you go for an urchin I recommend one that will stay small, like a tuxedo urchin if you can find one.

ReeferND

@billygoat thanks for the suggestions!! I would like to avoid hermit crabs as they (in my last tank) just started eating all my snails 🤣. I think I am going to up my CUC game here and see if that doesn't help. I am thinking trochus snails but my lfs will probably only have turbo but that's cool. I really love urchins but the vast majority of my corals are not fixed in place yet. So bull in a China store situation there I think. But perhaps I will get some small ones, let them feed for a couple months, then take them back. I will gladly pay 30 bucks for the algae to be gone even if that means not having a permanent resident in the tank. 

Tank is doing awesome. All corals are attaching to the rock work (now my headache begins with controlling these buggers). All have grown, my torch is doing something wierd though.....see picture. It feels really hard, like skeleton. Will they do this to attach themselves? What I am referring too is the white, almost slime looking, masses on the left of the two headed branch and the right of the single headed branch. Again, the are very hard. I would need a knife to actually brake them away. Thoughts?

15632483635451218711458580028862.jpg

ReeferND

Hey everyone, quick update. I have decided for the moment not to get any new fish. I think in this young system, 3 should be good until I really hit that stable environment. Everything is doing amazing, corals are encrusting their plugs and everyone seems happy. Other fish are still eating like pigs and have no signs of illness. This has lead me to believe that algae blennys are just delicate in terms of their diet. There was lots of food for it to eat and it did not. Darwin award was handed out.

I am truly considering getting a Facebook page to let the guys and gals at BRS know that their 4 month cycle really works! I wish I would've done this the first time...noob.  For a new tank, it just seems incredibly stable compared to my friend's tanks that rushed it. All of them are struggling with this and that and are envious of how easy I have it. 4 months for corals is a long time (I actually got closer to 5 months before corals) but it seems to be paying off. 

So, I know this will be looked down upon by some but hey it's my tank.....does anyone know of where to find or have some gsp? I really want the back wall to be apart of the tank and I love the gsp walls. I am aware of the risks but it looks awesome and I want to do it. My LFS never has it, my go to online shops never have it. I would like quite a bit of it but just cant find it. Any help would be awesome!!