Hey everyone. Looking for some suggestions of gyre placement in the tank. As I start to set everything back up again, I am curious as to where my gyre should go. Before I had it on the right side about 2" from surface. I would have it on alternate gyre mode ramping from 10 to 50%. I am not sure if I liked that flow because the left side of tank always had detritus buildup. With all the money I have spent on this tank, I can't even consider asking my wife it's ok to buy another gyre for the left side. 

Got any suggestions about better placement? What about in the middle of the back wall between the returns? What about on the side but orientated vertically either toward the front glass or back wall?

Would really like to hear you thoughts.

Hello again. Update here. So the tank was tore down. I literally took every peice of equipment, disassembled it, soaked in a vinegar solution then in a bleach solution. This included all the tubing for the return, literally everything. I also scrubbed using test tube cleaners each peice as well. I soaked in vinegar and bleach for 12 hours each. Then I did another 12 soak in rodi water, followed by 5 thorough rinsings in rodi water over the course of 2 days. Letting it dry in between. I figured I was safe when I could no longer smell any bleach on anything. I then got some help from a buddy and set everything up again. Used Carib sea Fiji pink sand (1 20lb bag) and Carib sea shapes (20lbs). By the way, the shapes rock is awesome and 20lbs fits perfect in the tank. Put a small raw shrimp in and a bottle of one and only. I am not going to be checking ammonia or nitrites or nitrates at all during the cycle. Personally, I think testing these at this point just makes me want to rush it. I will leave the tank alone for 2 months, maybe add another bottle of bacteria after 1 month. At 2 months I will check for ammonia, if none, I will add another bottle of bacteria and my first 2 fish. I will also turn the lights on at this point and add 2 bottles of helix coraline algae spores. My serpent star and cuc will go in at this point as well. Then I wait for the uglies to fade....

Question: I am very ignorant on fish. I know my local lfs pretty well and they took back the fish I purchased earlier. I must have clowns for my daughter but what other fish should I add? The first 2 will be a pair of clowns, but at 2.5 months I will add the remainder of fish to the system. I am really into personality and behaviors before looks but I want them to be utalitarian as well. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Still curious of gyre placement......

This is a 30 gallon? If so, a pair of clowns and one more fish would be plenty. I would probably add the clowns last as they will soon become territorial. My favorite stocking for our 29 was a pistol shrimp/goby pair along with a clown pair.  

Number of fish depends on your filtration system ability to keep up with the bioload. I keep 5-6 fish in my 30l without issues. Pair of Clowns, Tailspot, Chromis, Circus Goby. Will probably add Pink-Streaked wrasses soon to replace MIA Firefish. 

@Newsteadi am so happy you mentioned a shirmp/goby pair. Like I said, I am very into behaviors and that is a very cool behavior. Could you tell me what species of goby and shrimp make good pairs?

@A Little Blue I agree with your statement. My filtration is going to be minimal. I will be relying on carbon, and occasionally gfo if needed. But mainly water changes. At this point I plan on doing a 20% weekly water change. I also will have UV and filter pads. Do you think that system is capable of handling more than 3 fish?

I do have a skimmer on hand if needed but I am hopeful I won't need one. Trying to keep it simple

14 minutes ago, ReeferND said:

@Newsteadi am so happy you mentioned a shirmp/goby pair. Like I said, I am very into behaviors and that is a very cool behavior. Could you tell me what species of goby and shrimp make good pairs?

@A Little Blue I agree with your statement. My filtration is going to be minimal. I will be relying on carbon, and occasionally gfo if needed. But mainly water changes. At this point I plan on doing a 20% weekly water change. I also will have UV and filter pads. Do you think that system is capable of handling more than 3 fish?

I do have a skimmer on hand if needed but I am hopeful I won't need one. Trying to keep it simple

With minimal filtration, overstocking at this stage could be an issue. You don’t want to overwhelm the system if you’re not sure if it can handle it. However, 3 fish in 30l is not an issue and if you keep up with WC regiment, you might even get away with 4-5 fish (be cautious tho and don’t rush) . Just pick your fish wisely, based on aggression, comparability, diet and ofcause size. 

Having skimmer on hand doesn’t hurt. 

Have a plan, baby steps, don’t get crazy and you will avoid major setbacks. 

I had a candy cane (A. randalli) pistol shrimp which paired very fast with a yellow watchman goby. When we lost the goby in a move, the shrimp paired up with a high fin goby. I prefer the A. Randalli pistol as they are brightly colored, and though active builders, they are small enough that they don't create the mess that the bigger pistol shrimp can make. 

The little shrimp died after almost 4 years. I just today got a new one with a Tangaroa goby for our new Waterbox 10. Hope they do as well as our last pistol did - this one is tiny, not quite 3/4 inch but was already scoping out the sand and rock work as soon as acclimation was finished.

20190125_180333.jpg

@A Little Blue very sound advice and I appreciate that. So my plan now is the first fish in about 2 months, and then another fish and shrimp 2 weeks after that. 

From the awesome response of @Newstead I will be getting 2 clowns, a goby and shrimp pair. Would it be smart to get the goby and shrimp before the clowns? I know clowns are territorial. 

In line with this, what size cuc are you folks running? Those "packages" out there seem like way too much.

Here's a picture of the scape for you. Be honest about it. I am not sure how I feel about it.

20190125_213630.jpg

It depends on the type of clownfish you are getting.  If of the maroon variety I would definitely put those in last.  If you are getting percula or oscellaris you should be ok putting them in first.  The clownfish will more than likely be captive bred and may be your best bet to introduce first for hardiness.  Once things stabilize even more, you could add in the goby and shrimp.  The goby and shrimp are going to occupy the bottom portion of the tank/sand bed so the clowns shouldn't harrass them.  I know both of my clowns stay on the left side of my 30l and the six line wrasse swims everywhere.  

I have about 10 hermit crabs and 15 snails in my 30l.  Snails are nerites, cerith, astrea, and a couple nassarius.  

• Like 1

Update. Thanks everyone for the support and advice. Tank is about a month into the BRS 4 month cycle. Tell you what, this is the most stress free way to get a tank going bar none. Literally, keep the ato filled and check on shrimp....that's it. I have been checking ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates because I am crazy and just have to know but it's overkill. Keeping alk, calcium, and mag steady (doesn't take much....why do they drop in a tank with nothing??)

Everything else is looking good. 

• Like 2