ReefCleaners.org

ReeferND

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted anything. Tank is doing pretty good I think. I finally (and definitely) found out what was in my tank causing havok. A lot of people apparently have this problem and all you have to do is search "white slime on rocks" in these forums. It is definitely a bacteria as I stained it using methalyene blue for positive ID. Talked with the guys at BRS and they suggested Dr. Tims waste away. Holy moly, that stuff is working. I was truly on the verge of tearing down the tank but I am on day 5 of dosing waste away plus daily scrubbing of rocks. That white stuff is taking a beating. I am so impressed with waste away I may just keep adding it to the tank even when this stuff is gone. I have seen absolutely zero ill effects of using it. Corals are much happier and all color is back. 

Fish are in quarantine and I will be moving them over soon. I have been dosing the tank with One and Only for a while to prep the tank for new bioload. Got 20+ corals coming from unique corals! Super excited. 

Tank is almost 1 year old. I have really adhered to the "take it slow approach" to reefing as I still only have a handful of corals and no fish in the tank. I hope it all pays off in the long run.

Question: do any of you use All-For-Reef? I am about to get a doser and I can't decide if I should get a bubble Magnus T011 or just a single BRS doser. IE should I dose 2 part or one of these all in one supplements?

Thoughts are appreciated.

• Like 1

I just went with a single BRS doser route, and using it to keep the alk steadier than my manual dosing in the past.  so if you go the same route, I'd say try to use it for alk. I got a basic, but nice, APC timer plug strip that can program up to 6 on/off cycles on amazon to control the dose.  right now, it's been on 2 cycles per day, but I'm re-programming it this wknd to spread out more.   

I don't have any experience with the multi-head doser type. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, I was optimistic about the waste away but this stuff came back with a vengence. To be honest, I am tired of battling it for so many months without any success. So, 2 additional routes before I give up and start over. First, the tank started a 3 day blackout period. I know that if it is bacteria it won't do anything but maybe it's something else (even though I did test it with methalyene blue). If that doesn't work, I have ordered some refresh and waste away from BRS. If that doesn't work, I have exhausted all potential methods I have found for this stuff. I got money to burn which I was hoping would be for a doser and such but might end up getting new rock and sand plus some bacteria. The new BRS video came out recently about the 4 month cycle. I will be doing that exactly. I have learned a lot since I first set this tank up so hope round 2 is better. I love these tankantoo much to ever give up. Success will find me eventually!! Hopefully

Also, I have now been through the struggle everyone talked about in this hobby: lost fish, lost corals, fought invaders, and now probable tank tear down. Starting over provides me an opportunity to correct my known mistakes. What I would like to know from you folks, what are some things you have done that you would change if you were in my shoes? Would you even use a skimmer? UV sterlizer? Just curious so I can avoid things I don't need and do things better this time around. Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I just stick with bats and leave this reefing thing to those pros but boy do I love this living peices of art!

8 hours ago, ReeferND said:

Well everyone, I was optimistic about the waste away but this stuff came back with a vengence. To be honest, I am tired of battling it for so many months without any success. So, 2 additional routes before I give up and start over. First, the tank started a 3 day blackout period. I know that if it is bacteria it won't do anything but maybe it's something else (even though I did test it with methalyene blue). If that doesn't work, I have ordered some refresh and waste away from BRS. If that doesn't work, I have exhausted all potential methods I have found for this stuff. I got money to burn which I was hoping would be for a doser and such but might end up getting new rock and sand plus some bacteria. The new BRS video came out recently about the 4 month cycle. I will be doing that exactly. I have learned a lot since I first set this tank up so hope round 2 is better. I love these tankantoo much to ever give up. Success will find me eventually!! Hopefully

Are you still running the marine sphere stuff?  If so I would try removing them before resorting to a tear down. 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:07 PM, ReeferND said:

It's been a while since I posted anything. Tank is doing pretty good I think. I finally (and definitely) found out what was in my tank causing havok. A lot of people apparently have this problem and all you have to do is search "white slime on rocks" in these forums. It is definitely a bacteria as I stained it using methalyene blue for positive ID. Talked with the guys at BRS and they suggested Dr. Tims waste away. Holy moly, that stuff is working. I was truly on the verge of tearing down the tank but I am on day 5 of dosing waste away plus daily scrubbing of rocks. That white stuff is taking a beating. I am so impressed with waste away I may just keep adding it to the tank even when this stuff is gone. I have seen absolutely zero ill effects of using it. Corals are much happier and all color is back. 

Fish are in quarantine and I will be moving them over soon. I have been dosing the tank with One and Only for a while to prep the tank for new bioload. Got 20+ corals coming from unique corals! Super excited. 

Tank is almost 1 year old. I have really adhered to the "take it slow approach" to reefing as I still only have a handful of corals and no fish in the tank. I hope it all pays off in the long run.

Question: do any of you use All-For-Reef? I am about to get a doser and I can't decide if I should get a bubble Magnus T011 or just a single BRS doser. IE should I dose 2 part or one of these all in one supplements?

Thoughts are appreciated.

And I would recommend spending the extra few dollars for the Drew's Dosers from BRS.  They are dead silent and have a better reputation for longevity than the standard BRS dosers. Mine have been great so far. 

8 hours ago, ReeferND said:

Also, I have now been through the struggle everyone talked about in this hobby: lost fish, lost corals, fought invaders, and now probable tank tear down. Starting over provides me an opportunity to correct my known mistakes. What I would like to know from you folks, what are some things you have done that you would change if you were in my shoes? Would you even use a skimmer? UV sterlizer? Just curious so I can avoid things I don't need and do things better this time around. Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I just stick with bats and leave this reefing thing to those pros but boy do I love this living peices of art!

I have been battling some sort of uglies as well.  Not too bad, but definitely there.  If I were starting over I would go back to good old fashioned live rock and run nothing other than a little carbon/gfo along with 20% weekly water changes and 2 part. Bare bottom is great as well if you can handle the aesthetic aspect of it. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, specore said:

old fashioned live rock

This was going to be my suggestion. Even now before tearing anything down, just add some live rock from LFS. It should help introduce (presumably) different varieties of bacteria. 

6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

This was going to be my suggestion. Even now before tearing anything down, just add some live rock from LFS. It should help introduce (presumably) different varieties of bacteria. 

Of course, I'm not even sure you can get "old fashioned" live rock these days.  Haven't bought anything other than dry in probably 10-12 years and it looks like the good old Fiji rock is not out there.  

Thanks @specore and @micoastreefing for your responses! Yeah, finding live rock is quite difficult. I have looked at ARC life rock before (as I like their conservation mindset) but since Irma they lost their offshore reef. I am still using the marine pure balls.....could you enlighten me as to why removing them would help? Not that I don't believe you, I am just looking for an education on it. Is it because they could be harboring the bad bacteria? This idea gets as to why I am trying lights out. When I scrape the sump area out or just move things around, there is none of this stuff back there! None that at least I can see. It seems to only be in the display. Now that could be because I am working furocously to trap any and all of this junk before it gets into the sump. But if it is a bacteria, random sprays should seed it enough to find it back there. Today is the first full day without light and I will have to change the skimmer cup since I am using waste away so I will take a quick peek to see if anything has happened....I am figuring not but here is to hoping. @specore do Drew's Dosers have a higher flow rate? Would it be recommended to place a cheap powerhead in the sump as to avoid precipitation? I really like the idea of going "old school" and keeping this whole thing simple in the future. Another question for you two, I have 1 gyre pump (2300), and spin streams (running off of sicce 1.5). Is this too much flow? Not enough? I was thinking of getting another gyre to place on the other side so I can actually utilize the functionality of the controller. Right now I am only running the gyre at 20% max (short periods) during the day and sporatic 10% at night. I was thinking of putting a gyre on the other side at those same intensities.....worth it? Not? Again, just trying to think in advance should I have to tear this tank down.

3 hours ago, ReeferND said:

Thanks @specore and @micoastreefing for your responses! Yeah, finding live rock is quite difficult. I have looked at ARC life rock before (as I like their conservation mindset) but since Irma they lost their offshore reef. I am still using the marine pure balls.....could you enlighten me as to why removing them would help? Not that I don't believe you, I am just looking for an education on it. Is it because they could be harboring the bad bacteria? This idea gets as to why I am trying lights out. When I scrape the sump area out or just move things around, there is none of this stuff back there! None that at least I can see. It seems to only be in the display. Now that could be because I am working furocously to trap any and all of this junk before it gets into the sump. But if it is a bacteria, random sprays should seed it enough to find it back there. Today is the first full day without light and I will have to change the skimmer cup since I am using waste away so I will take a quick peek to see if anything has happened....I am figuring not but here is to hoping. @specore do Drew's Dosers have a higher flow rate? Would it be recommended to place a cheap powerhead in the sump as to avoid precipitation? I really like the idea of going "old school" and keeping this whole thing simple in the future. Another question for you two, I have 1 gyre pump (2300), and spin streams (running off of sicce 1.5). Is this too much flow? Not enough? I was thinking of getting another gyre to place on the other side so I can actually utilize the functionality of the controller. Right now I am only running the gyre at 20% max (short periods) during the day and sporatic 10% at night. I was thinking of putting a gyre on the other side at those same intensities.....worth it? Not? Again, just trying to think in advance should I have to tear this tank down.

I don't honestly have a great answer.  I do think milky/cloudy water tends to mean there is a bacteria bloom and I know the marine spheres can be very efficient.  Removing them and letting the live rock do its thing just seems a logical thing o attempt before giving up.

As far as the Drew's dosers they dose 1.6 ml/minute, I believe the regular dosers are 1.1 ml/minute.  I have also read a lot of complaints about the regulars being on the loud side, but I have to look at the Drew's to know if they are on or not.  Lastly they have a smaller head, which should help them in the longevitiy department.  

As far as flow I think it isn't too much unless your softies and lps are getting pissed, which even then it is usually just a matter of making sure they aren't getting a direct blast more than having too much overall flow. 

A Little Blue
Just now, specore said:

Maybe mine are just that much better than yours 😉

Corrected, thank you

Never took you for guy aiming for a quick finish. 😂

BTW you got me convinced on Neptun. Just pulled a trigger. Need to watch some tutorial vids for technologically challenged. 🙄

• Like 1

Just read the thread.  Have you tried a uv sterilizer? Someone on this forum was having a cloudy water issue and it helped.  Don't give up yet.  All of our tanks have gone through bad periods.  It's very rewarding when you fix the problem and/or it resolves itself.  I'm running a 30l as well.  Just rock (no sand), skimmer, filter floss, bag of carbon and a little gfo once and a while.  Took me 10 months or so before the tank really settled in.

@DreC80 thanks for the information. I am struggling to decide what to do. The tank is almost a year old and I have been fighting this stuff for at least 3 months. The water is now pretty clear (on 3rd dose of refresh) but rocks, glass still covered in this stuff. I am currently dosing refresh and waste away on opposing days, essentially throwing the kitchen sink at it. I have noticed that the more this stuff grows the darker it gets, rocks look brown with this stuff waving back and forth in the flow. I am changing filter pads every day and within that day they are completely covered in this stuff and are deep brown and slimy. I haven't fed the tank anything for at least 2 months. However, I was stupid and bought one of those clean up crew packages a while back to fight this and since most have died. Wonder if that isn't fueling this outbreak......when I scrap the rocks, tons of detritus comes out but I can't seem to win. It never gets better, just more stuff coming out the next day. The blackout period did nothing except make it worse because it wasn't getting scrubbed everyday. Corals are suffering. Not sure what to do. Very frustrating. If anyone out there knows what this is and how to fix it I would be greatful!! 

@DreC80 I agree. I just ordered one. We will see what it does. I agree with the sand too. I am going to get rid of a lot of it. No sand just doesn't suit my eye but if that fixes the issue, maybe I could add more later....

@DreC80 @A Little Blue @specore, I chatted with my amazing wife today and she has convinced me to just stick with it at this point. She figures even if I just stay away from the tank for a while eventually it will die off. I am going to keep fighting it with refresh, waste away and uv. I will continue to scub the rocks everyday and replace filter pad everyday as well. Here is my big question for you folks, would adding fish to the system help? If I went and got some hardy clowns and maybe an algae blenny would they help me through this or would I be making some animals suffer?

I don't know that I would add fish at this point.  Just another variable to deal with.  You have to take into account that you'll be adding food to the tank and fish waste which could potentially fuel this algae/bacteria bloom even more.  Additionally I believe bacteria blooms can contribute to lower oxygen levels in the tank which might affect the fish.  I would try to eliminate things at this point instead of adding them.  Can you post a current full tank shot and an up close shot of what you are dealing with?

@DreC80 great advice. I gave the tank a deep cleaning yesterday so I will take some pictures tomorrow when it grows again on the rocks. I removed about 10% of the sand yesterday and really gave the tank a deep scrubbing. My filter pads are getting really dark really fast so I am wondering if the refresh is working and taking this stuff out a bit. I am changing them 2x a day now. Gave the tank a water change yesterday too. I was warry about doing this assuming I must be adding some nutrients for the bacteria but not changing it wasn't helping. I think I will do another 6 gallon change tomorrow. If anyone has additional advice please bring it. I am spending about 3 hours  everyday fighting this stuff so one of two things is going to happen. Either the bacteria will die or my wife will divorce me 😂

Let's hope for bacteria dying off lol. Really hoping the UV sterilizer will work.  Have you confirmed this stuff is not dinos?  Is it kind of stringy and does it have air bubbles attached to it?  From what I've heard/read dinos can be a nightmare, but some people have beat them.

Don't let this consume you to the point it affects family life/time.  Looking at the big picture, the worst thing that can happen is a tank reboot...and it's only 30 gallons of water😀