Top Shelf Aquatics

Criticism needed for first tank

Neopixal

Substrate is too deep and the porosity is too fine. You'd be better off with a coarser grained substrate and much less of it, say 1/2" to 1" covering the bottom of the tank. 

Just my 2 cents.

49 minutes ago, Neopixal said:

5a5cb84bbf904_Firstcollegereeftankgettingreadytocycle-Imgur.thumb.jpg.f64bf8f01c6a57fefe98377e66513f58.jpgI a

I think it’s a good start. I would watch your spacing near the glass because you will need to be able to get in there and clean. (From the pics it’s hard to tell how close they really are.) 

When aquascaping, I always try to imagine what Corals I would want and if there is enough space for them. 

I think your sandbed looks fine. :)  

• Like 1

Sandbed looks fine. I agree with what WV Reefer said regarding considering what corals you want and where you can place them and also ease of cleaning the glass. My other concern with rock placement is that your highest rock is a bit close to the water surface. If you put a coral with much height on that top point, it will end up out of the water. You can always break up big chunks of rock with a screw driver and hammer to make smaller pieces that you can fit together into more of the shape you want.

• Like 1

I agree the high rock is too high and big.  That entire structure is near the front of the tank which means there is a lot of wasted space behind it.  I like the perception of depth it creates but maybe move that structure to the back and bring the smaller structure to the front?  Besides that, it's really nice and clean.  

8 hours ago, Felicia said:

Sandbed looks fine. I agree with what WV Reefer said regarding considering what corals you want and where you can place them and also ease of cleaning the glass. My other concern with rock placement is that your highest rock is a bit close to the water surface. If you put a coral with much height on that top point, it will end up out of the water. You can always break up big chunks of rock with a screw driver and hammer to make smaller pieces that you can fit together into more of the shape you want.

I'm most likely going to go with majority SPS and some LPS, I'll probably switch the small structure with the large rock at the top left since it's a bit too close to the surface for my taste. I tried breaking the rock with a chisel and hammer and it's really tough so I'll doubt I can make it any smaller, it took me a few hours to get the concave on it like that, the left structure has a mini cave under it, a much larger cave hole or entrance on the back, should I just push the left structure up against the wall? Since there's barely any space at the front and back. This tank is mostly going to be a Medium to high flow tank, but the Nepthea highly interests me, but I read that they prefer low flow...

MainelyReefer

Wouldn't change a thing.  You will just have to find the right coral for the highest point, yellow scroll stays short(sometimes) and grows slow and is one of my favorite random corals I own that I dont often see(it's an LPS that looks like an SPS).  I disagree with the post on larger sand grain size as it will just trap more detritus.

What about one of those ole timey divers with the king fu bubbling action? No? Eh, worth the try. I think it looks great (besides the lack of an ole timey diver).

Looking forward to seeing this tank develop.