Coral Vue Hydros

Red Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus armatus) Killing fish?

William

I think my red snapping shrimp is attacking my fish/inverts at night, I have had 2 fish and a large red cleaner shrimp go missing over the last month, with increased snapping at

Night. Thoughts?

I am having similar issues with a blue legged pistol shrimp. I lost a pepprmint shrimp and springerii dottyback. I think it was the pistol shrimp. I should ha e never put it in there, but I settled for that over a randaĺls because of availability.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, William said:

I think my red snapping shrimp is attacking my fish/inverts at night, I have had 2 fish and a large red cleaner shrimp go missing over the last month, with increased snapping at

Night. Thoughts?

That’s what they do. 

3 hours ago, jambon said:

I am having similar issues with a blue legged pistol shrimp. I lost a pepprmint shrimp and springerii dottyback. I think it was the pistol shrimp. I should ha e never put it in there, but I settled for that over a randaĺls because of availability.

It’s weird, for the longest time he never did anything, and then all of a sudden he started increasing the size of his burrow and that is when fish started going missing ....

MainelyReefer

It took over a year for my green pistol to go rogue, he even attacked the YWG he had previously been paired with.  He is now banished to the Poopico(bathroom pico). I think many species behave when small but then once grown and comfortable they become independent/aggressive.  Alpheus Randalli is the only fully trustworthy ones, but they have a tendency of going towards overflows as they are so tiny they fit through most systems inlets.  Keeping IM fishguards on is the only way I can keep them in my display.  Sorry about the losses, put him in a dedicated pico they are fun to watch and mine loves his pellets that are for Aquatic shrimp crabs and lobsters, otherwise post him for free on your local forum with an explanation to his needs, someone will offer him a life.

• 1 month later...