Pod Your Reef

Steph's 13.5 Invert Haven

StephLionfish

StephLionfish

Welp, time for a tank crisis. Came home today and the corals are in terrible shape (after looking great for  week). Only thing I can think of is some of the herbivorous nudis in my tank got moved to the chamber with the live rock and died (releasing toxins). I did a 50% water change, pulled the liverock and nudis from the chamber (which killed me, hate removing live rock), and renewed my carbon and filter pad. All I can do now is wait :tears:

• Sad 1
  • StephLionfish changed the title to Steph's 13.5 Invert Haven (tank crisis #2)
StephLionfish

Thanks, both of you. Things aren't better today, but they aren't worse, either. 

Here's some iPhone pics of how things are doing...

Left polyp distressed

25826361917_c2de7f7cbc_c.jpg

froggie shrunken. both acans were both severely yesterday.

39987506984_6395a54981_c.jpg

palys and shrooms not happy

40697623141_eb2301f8c3_c.jpg

Here is a pic of the tiny nudis I have. They are now mostly orange with less black. I've read that types of Elysia, which I think this may be, lose their dark coloration when they have eaten less. I'm not 100% sure that these are the culprit, but I'm pretty convinced. If anyone knows anything about these guys, please chime in.

40218633072_dc762aea74_b.jpg

StephLionfish

Did another water change today, a 40%, and everything is much happier! I might order some sexy shrimp from liveaquaria this weekend!

39839496255_044a9d985a_c.jpg

39839495205_a6068c1b1b_c.jpg

25863223807_633ce141f4_c.jpg

25863223037_401d3cea29_c.jpg

25863222347_74ecc58151_c.jpg

• Wow 1
  • StephLionfish changed the title to Steph's 13.5 Invert Haven
StephLionfish

This morning's delivery-

Zoas/Palys:

King Midas

Nuc Green

Candy Apple Red

Utter Chaos

Pink Zippers

Pink Kraks

Fruit Loops

Ricordea floridas:

Green, Blue, Teal, Rainbow, Two-toned

Blasto wellsi:

Red&green

There was a mix-up with my original order, with a few of the things on my list being out of stock, but the wonderful Holly threw in a freebie Fruit Loop for the confusion. All arrived in perfect condition aside for a couple of aiptasias on the Candy Apple Red frag, for which I went and picked up a Peppermint Shrimp to (hopefully) rid them. Half of the zoas are still partially closed, so pics of them will come later, however the rics are expanded to full glory :wub:

39118801120_862cd5be5d_c.jpg

As you can see, I plan on having the right bottom side of the arch be a ric garden

39118802050_6e2982b47c_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
StephLionfish

Sure enough, the aiptasia is gone this morning and the frag has opened up beautifully. I also caught the shrimp f****ing up a digitate hydroid last night  (which was something I was curious about).

I’m debating on whether or not a skunk cleaner is too big for my tank. Gut is tellin me yes, with the antennae and all. Plus, I plan on having many of the smaller shrimp (sexy, pederson etc), and I don’t want there to constantly be a larger guy looming over them.

StephLionfish
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Lovely new additions @StephLionfish! I really like the florida ricordea in particular! 

I think you have the right idea with the cleaner shrimp, probably not a good fit with your other plans.

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, PapoReef said:

Wow, beautiful tank! I aspire to have something like this set up in the near future :).

Good luck and keep up the nice tank!!

Cheers!

Thank you! I appreciate it :happy:

--

26073574427_457d3d1c4b_c.jpg

26073579357_b5a523d344_c.jpg

26073578627_53c9367357_c.jpg

39136563950_642bca8111_c.jpg

27075120478_4b207940d5_c.jpg

27075122788_414801d98e_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • StephLionfish changed the title to Steph's 13.5 Invert Haven [Losing Zoa!]
StephLionfish

As of 30 minutes ago, my Candy Apple Red (picture above) has had RAPID polyp loss. Getting worse by the minute, the only thing I see is a small colony of hydroids on the side of the frag, but I don't see them touching the polyp in crisis. I also see no nudis, and I haven't seen the peppermint shrimp anywhere near the frag. Advice?

40955103372_1db2f7f816_c.jpg

• StephLionfish changed the title to Steph's 13.5 Invert Haven
StephLionfish

Lost the peppermint shrimp. It was moving in strange lurches, then died that night. Had a nasty cyano outbreak that seems to be dwindling. Added a couple more corals, narrowing my wish list.

I'm in the market for a powerhead, I think. I just can't get much movement on the left side of the tank. I also may be getting an ATO soon, because there may be a vaca in the near future. Pictures after my water change.

The tank looks great and I love the scape! Did the bryopsis go away on it's own? 

It's probably for the best that the peppermint shrimp died. As long as it got all the aiptasia first :)

StephLionfish

Hey, thanks! Yeah, the brysopsis died off a couple of weeks after it flushed out. And yep he got all the appies... and then died. :huh:

Rics are on the sandbed on rubble right now. Hopefully they attach soon so they'll stop drifting around the tank.

40639418104_c0665acdd2_c.jpg

Fruit Loops have opened up beautifully. Ignore the poopy looking CAR. 

40639417274_a246bf3db9_c.jpg

As you can see, cyano has moved its way in on the left side of the tank where the flow is minimal. I'm looking into pumps, but the more I look the less certain I am on what I want. I love seeing tanks with inconsistent flow shuffling the corals (wavemakers?), but I don't have more than $50 to cough on a pump right now. I suppose a koralia nano would work.

41353090601_3f647d8dba_c.jpg

How ya'll take your amazing full tank shots is beyond me. 

• Like 2

I think your FTS looks great! Personally, I'd wait on the additional circulation until you know whether the cyano is just a phase your tank is going through, or if it's something more permanent. Since your algae went away pretty much on its own, you might get lucky. Of course, if you're going to keep sps you'll want more flow.

I've had good luck tying rics down to pieces of rock with monofilament (clear) fishing line.

• 1 month later...
StephLionfish
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, teenyreef said:

I think your FTS looks great! Personally, I'd wait on the additional circulation until you know whether the cyano is just a phase your tank is going through, or if it's something more permanent. Since your algae went away pretty much on its own, you might get lucky. Of course, if you're going to keep sps you'll want more flow.

I've had good luck tying rics down to pieces of rock with monofilament (clear) fishing line.

Yo, sorry I never responded! Well, I followed your advice and didn't add additional flow, and my cyano went away on its own. However, I do want a little more flow to knock out a dead zone on the left half, so I'm going to look into powerheads. 

Kinda ignored my tank for a couple of weeks while I had to work some personal stuff out, but everything (esp the zoas and palys) are growing nicely. Went to a frag swap today and got almost all of what I wanted (sans grandis paly because nobody has them). Left with Rastas, Green trumpet, Green tipped hammer, and a walking Dendro (that I've never owned one of, so hopefully I don't kill it). 

Pictures after I've done a water change and cleaned the glass!

• Like 2