Coral Vue Hydros

Dave's Beginner Photo Journal

Fury Reef

Hi Guys! 

I thought I would make a little journal here to chronicle what I've done with a 29 gallon biocube rescue and what I plan on doing with my new 16 gallon biocube I plan on starting. Personally for me I'd just like to see how far my tanks have come.

The Start:

My wife bought me a 16 gallon biocube for Christmas and I was both excited and nervous to get it started because it's been about 17 years since I've owned a saltwater tank. I happened to stumble across a 29g biocube for $120 that came with tank, stand, four damsels, one clown, two tangs, about four snails, live rock, some coral and an assortment of supplies such as food, testing kits, etc.

I made the decision to make this my first project because it would force me to learn a lot and prove to myself that I really do want to get back into this hobby (spoiler alert: I love it). 

The lady who wanted to sell it to me sent outdated pictures and she didn't have an air stone like she had promised nor did she have a net. I wish I took pictures of the tank before I started to break it down, but I felt that was kind of rude. She was a nice older lady, but her health was failing which explained the tank. She just didn't have the time anymore. 

With no net, I decided to leave the fish in the tank and put as much water in 4 five-gallon buckets as I possibly could. I bagged the corals and placed the rock throughout the 4 buckets. 

I did happen to snap this picture of the tank completely empty just before I got my hands dirty cleaning it back at my house. This is January 1st

qROJprG.jpg

I worked as hard as I could to clean this bad boy, but it took me roughly 8 hours, from 7pm to 3am, to start on the tank at her house and finish it at mine.

I worked as fast and as well as I could, but the two tangs (blue and brown) died. I was exhausted and still not fully prepared for what I was up against so this is what the tank looked like just before I went to bed. 

s2TSwY3.jpg

There was still a lot of work ahead of me. You can see the microbubbles which I didn't realize that's what they were until a few days later. It's also tough to see from this picture, but there is cyano all over the most of the rocks. 

On day 3, I could start to see cyano build up on my substrate. 

wnpXeaD.jpg

Each new obstacle created new questions that I had to ask and get answers to. The vast majority of which I've learned from you guys so THANK YOU!

This is when I learned of the importance of a good CUC. I researched different types of CUC, talked to some people and decided that I generally wanted to focus on snails. It was at this point that I bought 1 Nassarius snail, 1 Cerith snail and 1 Trochus snail to go with the 4 snails that I already had in my tank (which I think are turbo snails, but I'm not 100% certain). 

As my water quality improved, some of the coral that the tank came with started to show a little life. This picture is just before I took care of the microbubble issue.

iRppZV6.jpg

wcN467D.jpg

5 days in on this project and I still found myself with a lot of cyano, especially on my substrate, but mostly on my rocks. I siphoned up as much cyano as I could, cleaned the sand and put it back in the tank.

HH12oNk.jpg

I probably overdid it at this point, but I went out to one of my local fish stores (not my favorite one -- they were closed) and picked up 7 Nassarius snails and 3 of whatever these guys are. At least I think that's the type of snails I got. I'm finding that a lot of types of snails and fish have multiple names so I'm finding myself struggling to remember which is which.

fCslmCc.jpg

By the 6th day I could see improvements once I got rid of the microbubbles. 

mg13W8u.jpg

By the 7th day, my soft coral went from white to having two of them go brown (Flash forward: They're all 3 brown right now).

qy0zE8Z.jpg

I spoke to my favorite LFS and he suggested that the lights may be on too long which may have caused this. I've reduced my lights from about 14 hours to 8-9 hours. I'm noticing some improvement. I'm open to suggestions.

Due to my lack of knowledge in all things reef tanks, I took a picture of these white spongy things and learned that they are probably pineapple sponges which is a sign of improved water quality which had me hopeful, however, what I thought was coral I wanted in my tank next to it turned out to be Aiptasia. So I went to my LFS to decide if I should get peppermint shrimp to take care of it. (Spoiler: I'm starting to see a lot more pineapple sponges all over my tank now in different spots)

11pvPSp.jpg

I've been trying to avoid peppermint shrimp altogether based off some things I've read here on the forums and elsewhere, so when I read peppermint shrimp were great at eating Aiptasia, I set out to my LFS to get a good idea on what I could do (these guys are passionate, smart about reefs and willing to talk to me as long as I want). That's when I walked by an Aiptasia File Fish. So we weighed the pros and cons of the shrimp vs this file fish and I decided on the fish. 

By the 10th day I noticed this lettuce looking thing at the base off my soft white tree coral.

D9VjDc4.jpg

The LFS said to remove it as quickly as I could and I took off the green patchy thing, but as of right now part of it is still there on the rock. I wasn't sure how to get it off the rock as it is this type of algae thing that seems embedded into the rock and would need a good scrubbing to get rid of it. With it being at the base of the coral, I'm still not sure what to do (it has been 4 days). 

By the 13th day I was still noticing cyano on my substrate so I've been waiting to buy some conch snails to take care of it so I picked two up (Side note: I think I could have done just fine with one. I'll probably return one of them). They've done an amazing job at cleaning up my sand. Here's a picture of when I put them in and you can see my file fish photobombing them and my 1 bumblebee snail

4t0hrh4.jpg

So here we are on Day 14 and I cleaned off my glass and snapped a picture of my complete tank. I still have a long time to go to fix all of the things wrong with it, but I think in 14 days despite some mistakes, some possible impulse buys and a huge learning curve I've done pretty well so far. 

I'm going to continue to monitor and preach to myself patience and knowledge. 

pgpAMm9.jpg

I'm open to any and all suggestions, tips, tricks, praise, or ramblings that anyone may have. Thanks again guys!

Here's a picture of one of my coral. I was hoping someone could provide the name of the coral, rate its health and provide any feedback on anything I can do better for it. 

NzSoZZS.jpg

Here's another picture of one of my coral. I was hoping someone could provide the name of the coral, rate its health and provide any feedback on anything I can do better for it. 

fhahGf6.jpg

Here's another picture of one of my coral. I was hoping someone could provide the name of the coral, rate its health and provide any feedback on anything I can do better for it. 

BhQmyRh.jpg

Last coral in my tank. If you look at the beginning photos in my picture it looked a lot nicer than it does today. If someone could provide the name, rate, and any feedback on what I can do to improve it. 

QZjRynk.jpg

I had made some posts on the NextDoor app and Facebook garage sale pages looking for free tanks and this lady gave me a 5 gallon tank that fits perfectly below my nano-cube 28 gallon. 

My plan is to make it a DIY sump and refugium. I ain't be able to do it until the end of February, but wanted to share. 

Clean this bad boy up and get some aquarium  silicone, some glass panels and stick my protein skimmer in the intake section.

I currently have a query out with algaebarn.com looking for insight on the refugium, but would appreciate some here as well. 

The trick is this being a 5 gallon sump and does that change the game at all?

deVmfQQ.jpg

Hello

You've done a lot of work and tank is looking very good.

Have some questions to ask, it will help us, help you.

Did you use new sand or the old sand?

New water or old water?

What is the media being used in the filter? Is it new or the old stuff?

Have you tested nitrates and phosphates?

that is what causes cyano. Siphoning it out removes it but the cause needs to be fixed to prevent it's return.

The bioload in a 29g was very high. 

4 damsals, 2 tangs, and a clown. All very messy fish.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Hello

You've done a lot of work and tank is looking very good.

Have some questions to ask, it will help us, help you.

Did you use new sand or the old sand?

New water or old water?

What is the media being used in the filter? Is it new or the old stuff?

Have you tested nitrates and phosphates?

that is what causes cyano. Siphoning it out removes it but the cause needs to be fixed to prevent it's return.

The bioload in a 29g was very high. 

4 damsals, 2 tangs, and a clown. All very messy fish.

Hey Clown, 

Great questions and thanks for the compliment!

I used new sand.

I was able to save about 50% of the old water.

The media in the back is new (she had unused stuff I put in). I bought some filter floss I plan on putting back there as well and change out some of the media with suggestions from the forum when I'm ready. I'm also kicking the idea around for a DIY sump/refugium. I have a 5 gallon that fits perfectly in the bottom. Just need the light, pump and a refugium starter kit I was eyeballing.

I've been siphoning the cyano each week with my water changes. I have been using tap water, but I picked up some RO just now and will be doing a change here shortly. 

My tests I've done are -- 

Nitrate - 40 (down from 180 since I started doing 50% changes and using stress zyme)

pH - 8.2 

Ammonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 0

I'm hoping since I'm starting to use RO water for my 50% changes will make a big difference and things will continue to improve when I fix up the media in the back and/or the sump/refugium.

Is it RO or rodi water?

RO water still has pretty high tds for reefs. It's good to drink but not pure enough for our tanks.

Rodi or distilled is best to use.

Filter floss should be changed at least 2 times a week.

50% waterchanges will drop the nitrates by 50%.

I'd monitor the fish if indeed your ammonia is at 0.25. 

• Like 2

It's RO. I know it's not as good as distilled or RODI, but I believe better than tap. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I almost remember a post on here saying RODI > DI > RO > tap. But I'm not completely sure of the order. 

Are you familiar with this RODI hose adapter? Seems too cheap like I'm missing something, but the company assured me it's all I need.

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Rodi-Hose-Adapter

I'll continue to monitor the fish and corals indeed. The ammonia is at 0.25 but the color was very close. It was closer to 0. 

Kind of why I want to do the Triton method eventually. 

I picked up a reef test kit to get some levels answered for you. This is just after a 50% water change. 

Calcium - 440

dKH - 8 (143.2)

phosphate - 0.25

Nitrates - 40 (looked to be a lot closer to 20 so id say 30 is more accurate)

I believe the unidentified snails may be Marginella's, although the whorls don't look quite right. As for the sump, consider plexiglas instead of glass for the baffles. Easier to cut and work with and much safer. Home Depot, Lowe's ect have it in stock. It's pretty easy to work with as long as you have a plexi cutter, a steady hand, and a good straight edge. Google "cutting plexiglas" and you'll see what I mean.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I believe the unidentified snails may be Marginella's, although the whorls don't look quite right. As for the sump, consider plexiglas instead of glass for the baffles. Easier to cut and work with and much safer. Home Depot, Lowe's ect have it in stock. It's pretty easy to work with as long as you have a plexi cutter, a steady hand, and a good straight edge. Google "cutting plexiglas" and you'll see what I mean.

I actually found a local glass shop that is willing to do it for me. I was thinking three 3/8 or 1/4 thickness depending on the consult with the shop. May go simpler than that. I just wanted the two panels to the right of the refugium to have an overflow and underflow.

That is a good start to a cleanup project. I have never taken over a messy tank before but these are my initial thoughts after reading your posts. In no particular order. 

1. Put superglue over the aiptasia. If it find a way out, cover it up again. I found entombing them is the best way to stop spreading. 

2. Take the corals, fish, sand to a fish store for credit.  Start fresh, especially if those are not your preferred fish/coral selection. Be selective since your space is limited.

3. Thoroughly observe and scrub the rock and see what is on.

4. Replaced the sand (go with a larger grain so you can use whatever flow rate you want).

5. Plan your aquascape and take your time placing it how you want it to look. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MockandRoll said:

That is a good start to a cleanup project. I have never taken over a messy tank before but these are my initial thoughts after reading your posts. In no particular order. 

1. Put superglue over the aiptasia. If it find a way out, cover it up again. I found entombing them is the best way to stop spreading. 

2. Take the corals, fish, sand to a fish store for credit.  Start fresh, especially if those are not your preferred fish/coral selection. Be selective since your space is limited.

3. Thoroughly observe and scrub the rock and see what is on.

4. Replaced the sand (go with a larger grain so you can use whatever flow rate you want).

5. Plan your aquascape and take your time placing it how you want it to look. 

Hey mock,

Thanks for the insight. I have absolutely considered exactly what you're suggesting. I honestly don't feel that the fish (minus the clown) are what I want in a tank and I don't think these are the coral I'd want either, however, I'm in a phase where I want the challenge of seeing if I can make things better again. To help me learn as much as possible, ya'know?

Do you think I'm fighting a losing battle? 

Despite the struggles, I do like what I've been doing. So far lol. It's only been two weeks. That can change. 

So, I'm in the process of receiving shipments to setup my biocube 16 and I received my salt. 

A for effort for UPS in trying to repair the bucket instead of getting it replaced. packaging tape and white plastic lol

D6A3CEF4-4DF1-4035-86B4-AE09E2DC4AA4.jpeg

BDD4BAAB-9E1F-4756-9E87-DEF81668561C.jpeg

Ok guys. Here we are in Day -1. Everything came in the mail. I'm going to pour the sand and bond the rocks together. 

From left to right. 

- CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink sand

- HoldFast Bond

- RSCP salt

- DIY refugium light from a guy here on the forums (LED NET)

- Jebao PP4

- Cobalt Neo-therm

- Algae Barn Ultimate Refugium starter pack

- Algae Barn pure Marine Block

- Algae Barn Turbo start

- 5280 pod blend and phytos coming next week

-  9 pounds of live rock 

130B71CE-164F-4B73-8ADD-4D552E39062B.jpeg

Annnnnd the biocube is broken. It's not properly sealed in the back and is leaking. Recommendations for my live rock while I replace this tomorrow?

The LFS said I'd probably have to let it dry for 24 hours to bond it anyway. Should I do something with it?

This guy is extra salty

That’s terrible to hear 

I read and was following along with your post

Where is the leak located? 

@Clown79 correct me if I’m wrong aren’t the back of the biocubes glass? 

If so you can get a piece of glass cut to your back measurements and silicone the piss out of it... (of course while the tank is empty) 

It is a cheaper alternative than buying a whole new set up.

4 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That’s terrible to hear 

I read and was following along with your post

Where is the leak located? 

@Clown79 correct me if I’m wrong aren’t the back of the biocubes glass? 

If so you can get a piece of glass cut to your back measurements and silicone the piss out of it... (of course while the tank is empty) 

It is a cheaper alternative than buying a whole new set up.

I'm not sure if it's glass. I know the IM's are glass.

If the tank is new, it should be under warranty.

Yea, I still have the receipt. I'm taking it back today. 

I put the tank back in the box, but I should of taken a picture. The back of a biocube is a mixture of glass and plastic. 

There is a gap between the plastic in the left side (where I'd store my heater). I was messing with the filter cartridge it came with to see if I would want to use it and how it fit 

That's when I noticed I could see the cartridge from the back because the plastic in the back was separated and the water I used to wash it was pooling out. 

@Clown79 this may be a dumb question, but is fresh water okay?

For your rocks? No if they are liverock. 

If they are completely dry, uncycled rock, they can sit out

Use sw. While they are in the bucket it will start the cycle process which means less waiting after you set the tank up.

• Thanks 1

The post I've been waiting to make. This will officially be the very first saltwater tank I've ever set up 100% alone so I was both nervous and excited and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get it right. In the end, despite a mistake or two, I think it came out great! Here's my photo journal from last night.

For the back left, I am starting out with the stock filter and my Cobalt heater (By the way, I LOVE this heater. It's so sleek!)

For the middle I have filter floss up top and I have MarinePure Block from Algae Barn. I had decided to get the Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack. I'll be getting my second shipment with my chaeto, pods and phytos. For now it's just the five 2" blocks and Turbo Start. 

Zm6nuYi.jpg

A shot of the blocks and my DIY Refugium light that I picked up from someone here on the forums. I wish I could remember who it was so I could give a shout out. 

M7WGS2p.jpg

Being as this is the first tank I've set up by myself, I talked a lot to my LFS guy who is incredible. If you live in Northern California, you should make a trip to Splash Aquarium in Sacramento. He suggested that I start with the water, mixing the salt. Then add the sand and then the rock. So that's what I did. 

I initially had anticipated doing the rock first, putting the sand around it to "cement" it into the tank and then add the water softly by letting it splash off my hand or the rock or the side of the glass to avoid a long cloudy period. I'm so glad I listened to my LFS. 

Water - I had picked up RODI water from my LFS and tossed it in. I filled it to about 80% to allow for the sand and rock.

xVu8F0a.jpg

Salt - I decided to go with RSCP

q1RFFyE.jpg

Sand - I decided to go with CaribSea Bimini Pink sand. I have found that my Jebao PP4 wave maker does kind of toss it around a bit, but I have it dialed down to a sweet spot so it's not blowing it on my rock. I used a cup to gently scoop and place into the tank to minimize the cloudy effect. It probably wasn't necessary, but I was being overly cautious. 

xVLLldg.jpg

Rock - I went with about 9 pounds of live rock from my LFS. I used some IO HoldFast to bond them. This was probably my first mistake, but I don't think it's too bad. I may have used too much in some areas, but I wanted to make sure it would stick. Overall, I got the desired effect. I'll spare you the pain of making this too detailed and sharing the picture of my wife putting the rock into the tank. She's my nano maintenance keeper since she has tiny hands and arms and I'm a giant. Something I didn't think about when I decided to take on this hobby lol.

RBItOhy.jpg

The rock is set, the tank is full, my lights are configured and my wave maker control unit is securely fastened to my wall. You may notice a towel under the tank. This is because of where the tank is located. It's under a cupboard so to get into the tank and back is a challenge and I didn't want to drag it out and scratch up either the tank or the marble counter top. This makes it easier to pull it up or push it back.

bnylrLd.jpg

I'm sharing the moonlight just because I love the way it looks. 

wDzqBCm.jpg

After all of the steps I took I feel I made the right decisions because after about 4 to 5 hours this is what the tank looked like. I'm really digging my rock setup. The left rock extends a bit further out to act as a shelf for coral when that time comes. And there are 3 holes (two that you can easily see in the photo) for the fish to weave in and out of. 

I0mtXcx.jpg

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, tips, things to look forward to in the future or not freak out about, positioning of the wave maker, etc.