Cultivated Reef

I'm new to the forum and I have questions

Lianne

Someone referred me to this forum and so far I like it. What exactly is nano-reef all about? I looked at some of the members tanks and their all small 15 gal or less, is that what nano is for? What does nano stand for? I'm not new to the hobby, I did have a 55 gal salt setup that was beautiful. I would like to set up a small tank though. This I have never done and would like to know more about. And who is this Dave people keep warning me about?

Thanks,

Lianne

Ok I found out more about nano-reefs. I read about them on this site.How do some of you afford the many reefs you own. What an addiction. Good job to all of you.

PEEK A BOOOO ! I EAT U !

People warn others about me? awwww shucks... Thanks :blush:

Nano: referrs to " small "

Reef: referrs to ..... uhhh uhhhhhhhh I donno.... Im still trying to figure out that one.

Oh and I said hi in yer thread in "members Tanks section" ;)

Afford? no one affords their tanks, they just support them... its kinda like having Kids.... ya Plan and plan and plan, ya make one, yer happy fer 1 hour, then ya smoke a cigar, pop open some champaine...... and Kiss yer financial future , yer Independance, and "excess" money good bye......

Welcome to reefing as a hobby. :D errrrrrr LIFESTYLE this aint no hobby anymore.

Oh and I transship and do tank services, so I get lots of leftovers and hand picked goodies at a great price.... Having 10 tanks running can be VERY expensive at times.

PS: got somespare change? :*(

how do we afford this hobby? i'll let you in on a secret : : "crime DOES pay!" :P

i'm negotiating with my wife on the 300g+ setup next. i figure it'll cost me triple what a normal 300g setup would to buy her off. :*( but at least i'll have the tank and not another ex-wife. :D

printerdown01

ROTHLMAO!! Sorry guys, but those were some FUNY responses! Anyway, now that I'm done laughing any my belly hurts as much as my wallet (though my wallet is hurting more from tuition than my reef) I'll answer some things seriously. Welcome to the hobby. If you actually get a chance to see a nano-reef in person you will be hooked no questions asked! Lets start with the question everyone else answered first, finance: I spent under $15 three days ago and picked up 1) a porcelain crab 2) a gorgonia frag and 3) a pipe organ coral frag. I too used to have a 55 gallon reef... but then I went to college, needless to say I couldn't fit the 55 in my dorm (where I had a hard time finding a space for my backpack) much less find space in my wallet for the thing. So now I have a 12 gallon w/ one 32W SmartLight on it. It is AWESOME... I think I'm one of the few people that has actually enjoyed down-sizing. I had never heard of nanos until I began looking for someway to keep something similar to what I used to have when I had the "space (-in both meanings)." Now I highly doubt that I will ever desire to keep a 55 again. I would rather keep 4 nanos, and set-up radically different tanks! As much as we spend on the tanks they are MUCH cheaper than larger ones!

*also just for fun: micro-reefs were the original names given to reef tanks (aka mini-reefs) the prefix micro indicates a multiplier of 0.000,001. Thus, it followed that the next step down should be a nano (multiplier of 0.000,000,001) and the step down from that would be pico (multiple of 0.000,000,000,001). These are often used in the metric system i.e. millimeters, micrometers, nanometers, and picometers. There is no real set definition of the size regulations set for nanos, but generally they are considered to be 5-20 gallons... But a 30 gallon is not usually considered a micro, so it falls somewhere in between... the general ranking system is very vague, and has lots of holes... :) Dive in and enjoy the hobby!

I've got a post around here somewhere on doing a nano on a budget... look it up (follow search directions below) and you'll find out how to save some $$ if you decide to do one of these. :)

Affording a nano 101.

First, any household items that aren't yours are easily sold.

Second, those other wallets in the house? Empty them. Finders keepers is my rule.

Third, you have pairs of organs for a reason. That extra kidney? SPS Corals. That other lung? Can you say refugium? Here is the best part of organ farming. Your liver has regenerative powers. Yes, that's right, you can sell a portion of your liver, wait a while and it will grow back so that you can sell it again. Hell, if planned correctly, you can use the liver to fund your start-up needs, cycle your tank, sell some more liver, purchase a clean up crew, let them acclimate and adjust to the tank, sell some liver and stock with corals fish. I am harvesting a large chunk of my liver for the 500 gallon reef that will go in my next home.

Fourth, steal. Now, this is a tough one but if you are fast enough you can actually load up your plastic baggie lined pockets with water and livestock and quickly exit the lfs. Unfortunately this method works best in lame fish stores such as petland and petco, where the help is clueless. On the plus side, the livestock is so miserable they will practically jump into your pockets.

Best of luck,

Crakeur the half liver, one kidney, one lung, one eyed reefer.

Originally posted by tinyreef

livers regenerate? ???    

Yup, they sure do. Do a little research and you will be amazed at how much the liver does and how it effects almost every aspect of your life. That and a quarter of it is good for a real sweet reef tank.

well they (nanos) are cheaper dont get me wrong but it's DEFINENTLY more cash than you plan. for example i had a pwrhead from my old tank i wanted for my 2.5 gallon, guess what? its too big to even fit. there goes 15 bucks which may seem miniscule but it all adds up plus im only 14, any way what im saying is figure how much ya think ur set up will cost then add 1/4 of that price to it for things you forgot or will need in the long run (more test kits, salts, and additives if ya dont do h20 changes weekly) etc etc etc. good luck and welcome to the boards they are to me a major part of the hobby and can be very funny like you mentioned.

P.s when you go to a lfs that is not nano supportive dont get discoureged like i did, ill be sending bargain basement pet shop (urgh!!) some pics of my reef when the corals come in tommorrow and ill post them here too. that place looked at me like i was a ghost when i told em i had a 2.5 gallon tank!

YA im 14 also, and I started out saying, im not paying over $400.00. and look at me now I am at like $850.00, but i love it!!!

I work 3 jobs, get $9 allowance, and most of all i hae PATIENCE, I can wait til i get the money! I have had my tank for like 3 months and I just put in my first fish a week ago.

Daniel

Just had one question for you nano's. Well, say an eclipse system at petco or something between 5-15 gallons. It comes with pretty much everything. Ok, can you use the filter they provide in the system, which I believe is an under gravel. Can you use the same filters as freshwater? Gravel? Lighting? Do you have to have a chiller?

The eclipse systems souldn't come with undergravel filters... But just in case you run into something that does: DON"T USE THEM. This type of filtration on reef tanks was discoverd to be problematic in the mid 80's (ok possibly even before then, but that is when I found out!). It will actually CAUSE your tank to crash at about 1 year!! X) Other eclipse comments, you will need to up-grade the lighting (this is actually REALLY easy, especially if you have the Eclipse 1 hood), and remove the bio-wheel (if you wish to, I run mine).

Archived