Cultivated Reef

SPS help.

jorahx

The person is different. The tank will go through the uglies in a few months worth but you have to ride them out, if algae covers your precious sticks and you start going at them Rambo mode, then is it as easy a mature tank? Not saying SPS are easy, but easier after the tank and the owner have some time together learning a few things.

Maybe seasoned reefers starting a new tank will have no problems or minimal problems in the beginning but for a beginner with no experience with SPS there’s really no room for error. I am far from an SPS guy, I like them sticks but like the movement more (LPS/anemones).

@HarryPotter, not trying to sound smart, please share your opinion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Andreww said:

The person is different. The tank will go through the uglies in a few months worth but you have to ride them out, if algae covers your precious sticks and you start going at them Rambo mode, then is it as easy a mature tank? Not saying SPS are easy, but easier after the tank and the owner have some time together learning a few things.

Maybe seasoned reefers starting a new tank will have no problems or minimal problems in the beginning but for a beginner with no experience with SPS there’s really no room for error. I am far from an SPS guy, I like them sticks but like the movement more (LPS/anemones).

I have to agree Andrew, a new person getting into Reefing is still learning so much as they are understanding how thier tanks run.  

like myself I thought my water was perfect but couldn’t keep sps easily for several months, now they grow with no issues, part tank maturity  (sponges growing,thriving tank Copepods all sorts of little critters breeding, and adding to the ecosystem, and part my experience with sps has improved.

Harry Potter, we are not all created to be TOTM legends , witb the skills to weave a full sps tank from the get go lol. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, John L said:

I have to agree Andrew, a new person getting into Reefing is still learning so much as they are understanding how thier tanks run.  

like myself I thought my water was perfect but couldn’t keep sps easily for several months, now they grow with no issues, part tank maturity  (sponges growing,thriving tank Copepods all sorts of little critters breeding, and adding to the ecosystem, and part my experience with sps has improved.

This is very similar to the experience I'm having with my tank as well. When my tank was newer, acropora would die if I looked at it wrong, despite great testing parameters. Now, I could probably pee in the tank (an exaggeration), and everything would still ride through without much issue. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Andreww said:

I was just hoping for elaboration to  "Not seeing how a tank so new can support SPS even with stable parameters. But that’s just my opinion". A tank with stable parameters is arguably is the perfect tank for SPS; but in your response  you described the ugly stage and evil algaes that will inevitably harm them. I agree that for most starting a quick acro tank is the beginning of a disaster!

8 hours ago, John L said:

Harry Potter, we are not all created to be TOTM legends , witb the skills to weave a full sps tank from the get go lol. 

Re response above :), and believe me I had my share of disasters!

• Like 1