Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My torch is a goner :(

BlueBuddha

Hey guys.

im bummed because I most likely lost one of my torch corals :(.  I have had him for about 2 months and started to go down hill a little over a week ago. Just deflated and very sad.  He was by other torch’s and I know it’s super rare that they will sting each other but none the less I moved him.  He did not get better. This morning I saw that he had some flesh coming out of the bottom of his  skeleton.  

This made me think it may have been fragged to close to the interior and had a hole?  Just looking for some advice... if he is done should I pull him out and toss him ?

everythjng else seemes tto be super happy and growing.  Thank is about 8 months old and it’s around 10gallons 

-temp 78

-ph 8.2 

-Nitrates 0

-Nitrites 0

-phos 0 or very low 

-cal 460

-Salinity 1.022 (I know it’s low working on bring it back up) 

795A9DC2-AE52-4BE4-81E8-D7DEF4918792.jpeg

9912AB5C-185E-4019-82AD-B9319D3FD509.jpeg

D2CC90DA-EB81-499E-AF81-61E696D93602.jpeg

6F5EC3EC-67A6-4CA4-B34B-531E71E31AA7.jpeg

076AB148-B61B-4EB9-870E-FD3795456B10.jpeg

Yep, it's not doing so well. Usually when they get to this stage it's too late. Some Euphylia's are harder to keep than you'd think. Sorry dude.

You have to remember that corals are a lot like live plants. Most will take and do really well in your tank if all of the parameters are right. Some just won't do well though for various reasons. Sometimes diagnosing those reasons are damn near impossible for an aquarist. 

If I had to bet, I bet it got into some warfare with your frogspawn or the nearest hammer coral. Frogspawn and hammers usually play nicely together but torch corals always seem to get a combat reaction out of other euphylia and need at least six inches of space around them to prevent stinging. Other considerations are: hitch-hiker pests, bacterial infection, too much flow, too much light, etc..

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info man! I read that they can be picky.  It’s just my first real expensive loss haha.  I’m working on my second tank so I can give my others some more room :) 

I’d also work on getting that nitrate and phosphate a bit up if they’re indeed 0.

Corals don’t like that. 

Others may follow if there’s no nutrients in the water.

Do you have any fish? How’s the feeding schedule? LPS like some nutrients in the water...

Ive lost a torch in the past as well and he was separated on a rock with no corals around but just didn’t survive. They can be sensitive to rapid parameter changes etc

Also you need to be careful handling euphylias . You can damage the tissue easily resulting in infection and death.

• Thanks 1

Yea I also read that water can be to clean which I couldn’t wrap my head around at first but I do get it now after reading a lot.  

I do do have a clown fish in there and a blood shrimp as well as few hermit crabs and snails.  I feed my fish around every other day and I do have reef chili I feed the tank once every 10 days or so. 

I had one little hammer coral head I hit with my knuckle  one time and as soon as I felt it I knew I killed it :( I try to be super careful when I’m moving them.  Meh I’ll work on getting my water a little dirty and the the salinity up. 

Thanks guys !

• Like 1