Innovative Marine Aquariums

Montipora skin faded but polyps colored

Andreww

What could it be? Polyps are well colored but skin is slowly fading away. (See red frag)

Too much light?

Tank 18gallons w/20 gallons sump

Alk 9.5

Cal 440

Mag 1450

Salinity: 1.026

Temp 79

I feed the fish every day, run carbon in reactor once in a while.

What could it be? Adjusting to my lights? It’s been in my tank for about 2 weeks...thenfrag is in a pretty high flow area...would that influence color? Polyps are well extended...

D4EF0CF3-E034-40B1-BB73-83D13017902C.jpeg

6 hours ago, Andreww said:

Was sold to me as a forest fire monti. I see some green skin but very very pale....

Looks fine to me, might just be acclimating to your tank’s lighting. 

Also, I only knew of a forest fire digi.  Unless this is some special encrusting type, the rounded, faded area could be a branching growth point which is typically whiter than the rest of the colony. 

Interesting stuff. Will have to let it be and see what it does I guess. Only reason I was concerned is because it used to have some green but now seems to be fading and becoming white/grey.

Ill wait and see , maybe it’s just acclimating...

thank you everyone!

• Like 1
burtbollinger

no...I'd be very proactive here and lower your whites.  youre watching it slowly fade because of too much light.  NOW is the time to adjust your whites. 

I've had very little luck with rainbow, superman, and wwc cherry tree...all encrusting montis....my lights seem to always overpower and fade them....just like you are describing, which is what happens in the beginning.

Did that last night thanks for your suggestion.

Funny though, my wife made a comment that my tank looks kinda white and should make it a little more blue right when I was playing with the lights. I like a 14-16k look so we are not talking 10k here.

Lowered whites a few % , but I might lower blues a bit too if things don’t improve.

Light is at 50% intensity except for red and white which is at 10% and 18% .

Light mounted 12” above water, tank is 14” tall

Gosh, I really need a PAR meter.

4 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

no...I'd be very proactive here and lower your whites.  youre watching it slowly fade because of too much light.  NOW is the time to adjust your whites. 

I've had very little luck with rainbow, superman, and wwc cherry tree...all encrusting montis....my lights seem to always overpower and fade them....just like you are describing, which is what happens in the beginning.

I don’t mean to be a contrarian, but I don’t necessarily agree with this. The polyp extension is a sign of relative good health and all coral colors adjust to the lighting of a new environment. I have cut frags to place them at different levels in my tank to see how they change to the differing intensities/par values.

i recommend what others have and say give it a couple weeks of adjusting. 

I have a Rainbow monti and a Jedi mind tricks that all about closed up, lost all color and at a time the Jedi even appeared lost, and I let them be because my Params were solid and other corals were healthy—and they are thriving now. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Looks fine to me, might just be acclimating to your tank’s lighting. 

Also, I only knew of a forest fire digi.  Unless this is some special encrusting type, the rounded, faded area could be a branching growth point which is typically whiter than the rest of the colony. 

There is an encrusting forest fire as well. Check out this thread and picture.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-forest-fire-montipora-or-digitata-or-are-there-2-types.67411/

59DBDFBB-F3D6-4D6B-99C8-38A9241BAF55.png

• Wow 1