inTank Media Baskets

LFS frag trade in for store credit

MainelyReefer

MainelyReefer

So I have fragged up 1/2 my neon green trumpet colony making 10 frags between 1-2 heads each, and my hammer colony and a portion of my frogspawn that was becoming shaded by overgrowth.  I have called my LFS's and asked what kind of store credit I could get for trade in, one didn't want them at all, one store offered me 3$ a piece for the trumpets and 10$ a piece for the euphyllia.  Another suggested they would give store credit at 1/3 the full retail which turns out to be between 3-5$ for the trumpets and 10$ for the euphyllia.  I want to get rid of them to reduce Calcium/alk use in my 40 and am aware I could sell them on the local forum for more but it is significantly more work and time to empty my frag rack.  So my question is, do you think it's a rip off? The LFS that will do 1/3 is actually really high end so I wouldn't mind trading 10 trumpet frags for a nice rainbow acan frag but am really curious do other reefers do this? Anyone make out better? Should I be trying for more?  Here is a pic of the trumpets in question.  I know they grow like weeds so the market is flooded but they are really healthy frags.  The frogspawn frags are from the colony in the background which is a relatively common color too I think.  Any insight is appreciated as I will likely bring them in tomorrow.  I guess I can always frag more to sell on the local forum.IMG_2867.thumb.JPG.6732034897074815b040312b5f2475b4.JPG

I've worked at a couple fish stores and at least in our area, that is pretty common. Beautiful trumpets though and wish I could take some of them off your hands!

• Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

It took me around 1 1/2 years to grow those and the remaining colony from a 2-3 head frag I bought for probably 20$ if that helps.  I might even be proud to know they are in the higher end store too, but it just seems like trading your car in, you know someone else is making good money

6 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

It took me around 1 1/2 years to grow those and the remaining colony from a 2-3 head frag I bought for probably 20$ if that helps.  I might even be proud to know they are in the higher end store too, but it just seems like trading your car in, you know someone else is making good money

Yes and the pride of knowing you took care of them well enough to grow them out that much!

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Found the earliest photo I could, I guess they were 3 heads on March 22nd 2016!  And they weren't as happy at all!  And the bicolor trumpets in the same photo are literally only the same two heads still haha corals are so strangeIMG_2877.thumb.JPG.a86ee6253ca309d29f89241a2835debd.JPG

• Like 1

I'm kinda lucky to where I have a really nice give and take with my lfs. So maybe if it's not your most ideal selling price, the owner may have a good memory. 

I've given things to my lfs and know how much they sold them for. I also know what I bring home out of that store and the price it would cost me elsewhere. They've made a customer for life,  I've made a couple of good friends. 

Maybe it's a step in building a relationship. 

Maybe it's one hand washes... 

Maybe it's good karma. 

4 minutes ago, Mark1313 said:

I'm kinda lucky to where I have a really nice give and take with my lfs. So maybe if it's not your most ideal selling price, the owner may have a good memory. 

I've given things to my lfs and know how much they sold them for. I also know what I bring home out of that store and the price it would cost me elsewhere. They've made a customer for life,  I've made a couple of good friends. 

Maybe it's a step in building a relationship. 

Maybe it's one hand washes... 

Maybe it's good karma. 

where do you go to sell???  I need to sell my 20 heads frogspawn.... want some???  =P

I was gonna tell a long story about 20 purple stylo frags and bubble algae but I didn't go there lol.

Reef Plus. Text me you still got it? 

Never mind ill text you 

1/4 to 1/3 retail is about what I’ve been told as well. Maybe 1/3 if you have nicer/bigger frags that they can mark up. I think it might have been better knowing what you want, then just ask for it - with the going rate in mind of course.  I also had used a tactic where I brought in a variety of frags, as to not overload their rack with one type. I usually have a “set” price on something I think the better ones are worth, and then I’ll throw in the frag-pack deal for the LFS for the remainders. It doesn’t do me any good sitting in my tank, I rather get the store credits. 

In the end you win some, you lose some. Good luck selling, the trumpet looks really good. 

• Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

Best way to grow them is to feed them plentifully and have them under lots of light!  I'm an addict to corals with strong feeding response and these were the OG for me, something about those tentacles that pop up out of their mouth begging to be fed that is so alien and cool!  I do the same thing to the stupid bicolor ones too and they haven't even grown a speck though so who knows.

Seems 1/3 the price should be fair and help clear my rack, and I'll hopefully have some cool new coral for my contest tank tomorrow!  Thanks for all the replies, makes me feel more comfortable.

This guy is extra salty
4 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

1/4 to 1/3 retail is about what I’ve been told as well. Maybe 1/3 if you have nicer/bigger frags that they can mark up. I think it might have been better knowing what you want, then just ask for it - with the going rate in mind of course.  I also had used a tactic where I brought in a variety of frags, as to not overload their rack with one type. I usually have a “set” price on something I think the better ones are worth, and then I’ll throw in the frag-pack deal for the LFS for the remainders. It doesn’t do me any good sitting in my tank, I rather get the store credits. 

In the end you win some, you lose some. Good luck selling, the trumpet looks really good. 

I have actually sold a quite a few pieces of my SPS to my local fish stores but 9/10 times I would just trade for some different pieces or midsize colonies. One of my LFS owners keep asking for frags of my neon highlighter acro which I have seen them turn around and sell for a pretty penny.. supply and demand sadly is what it is... personally I would’ve left the trumpets as a 3 head piece since it would’ve been a better/bigger bargaining chip.

MainelyReefer

Not sure if the 3 headed frags would pan out to be more.  Let's say I start with 15 total heads, that's five 3 headed frags which would likely sell for $6.66 if the store planned on selling for $20 like my original purchase, that's $33.30 for all.  I got 10 frags and they have their $15 frag tank these will likely go in, they cut people deals where 5 of the 15$ frags are $60 or $12 each.  So assume they give me 1/3 that price so $4 trade that pans out to $40.  Technically I have 3 singles(3$) and 7 doubles(4$) or 37$ total for 17 total heads. best case scenario on the triples would then also include a 4$ double so $37.30 total. Even if they gave me only $3 on every frag its not a crazy difference between $30 and the $36.30 the larger frags would then catch.  And I frag corals where the growth points want to be fragged, they likely would've been uglier as 3's than as a blend of 1's and 2's.  I'll update later today after I see what happens!  the numbers are so close I think it's negligible.

My lfs will buy frags at 1/4 the price of thier retail value, for store credit only.    Not loads but It’s better than nothing, goes toward another Coral or dry goods.

And it’s gd to know yr actual coral u have been caring for and nurturing , is continuing and potentially being spread (across the country !

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Ran to lowes this morning to solve the frag transport issue, under 20$ for a nice little set up and egg crate to make more for years haha.  Used a 2 g bucket with sealable lid and a portion of the eggcrate cut to size then wedged/glued in about 2" off the bottomIMG_2879.thumb.JPG.ef92e4b6159ddb037b624d16940a517a.JPG

• Like 3

LFS are there to make money... on us. I sold a huge trumpet coral with over 100 heads for about 75 bucs to mine. I try now to get the more desirable corals for if and when I frag them they are more in demand for a higher $$$.

Even at 3 buks a head you are still ahead of the game because you enjoyed growing them out. I would be happy to break even... 

MainelyReefer

Made out way better than expected, for the 10 trumpets, 2 hammers, 2 frogspawn, 3 single headed blasto merlettis, and 5 GSP I got 125$ trade!  Rather than smaller items I splurged and finally purchased a bleeding apple scoly, which was labeled at 140$ and he was willing to trade outright so I ended up getting 140$!  Now he has a customer for life and he said anytime I have more frags to bring them in!  It was really nice seeing my frags go right into his 15$ display, definitely a proud moment as a reefer knowing someone else will go get their first trumpet and love it and it was grown in my tank.  If anyone's from New England or find yourself in the area I highly reccomend Love the Reef, it's the nicest store around, both in cleanliness, customer service, and selection.

Bleeding Apple Scoly

IMG_2880.thumb.JPG.438f20f0b55a75a604ddab66301cf76a.JPG

I'll post a shot of it in my tank once it's acclimated.  Now I want to frag all my colonies and get variety rather than have quantity of a few corals!  The owner even remembered me from my first visit in October and asked about my competition Pico!  That's good memory!

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

If anyone has any experience with scolymia feel free to comment with best placement, lighting intensity, favorite foods, feeding intervals, or anything else you feel would help for a healthy happy scoly!