Cultivated Reef

What are your favorite big public aquariums?

vlangel

Have been to :

Dallas World Aquarium 

Dallas Aquarium @ Fair Park

Sea life Aquarium  

Oklahoma Aquarium

Mandalay Bay Aquarium

Texas State Aquarium 

Sea World (if that counts)

On my wishlist  :

Georgia Aquarium

Steinhart Aquarium 

Monterey Bay Aquarium

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I've only ever been to Malaysia and Singapore in terms of going overseas, so I am limited to the aquariums I've been to, so it would have to be the Singapore Aquarium. Although it may not have the worlds largest tanks, or have the most reef tanks, the quality of the displays are off the charts. The diversity of tanks is superb as well. All of the small and medium sized reef tanks are top notched. Plus the fake coral looks almost real, which is a testament in itself. Don't have any photos, but I'll try to find some.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

Forgot to mention that the river safari, next to the Singapore zoo, has the best freshwater and estuarine displays I’ve ever seen, sturgeon fish, to freshwater stingrays, a mudskipper tidalarium, plus pandas in what I believe to be the most heavily aircon’d building in south east asia. It’s bloody brilliant.

• Like 1

There was an aquarium on Montreal years ago. Not sure if it is still there.. they had a large reef tank with a huge clown triggerfish about a foot long among other things.

Ripley aquarium in Toronto as well.

On 13/01/2018 at 5:48 PM, Nola Bear said:

Love ATL aquarium

Tge Florida Aquarium in Tampa is pretty nice, I guess, but I think many would expect more. 

The aquarium at Atlantis are pretty nice too. 

Ive heard about the Chattanooga one, sounds awesome. 

• 2 months later...

If you're ever out on the Olympic Peninsula of WA State, there is a little aquarium in Port Angeles called the Feiro Marine Life Center right down on the waterfront.  Like I said, they are small, but worth a stop if you are out on the peninsula.  Lots of neat local sea life with great information.

If you are interested in the ecology of the Great Lakes, they Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth, MN has about anything you could think of related to the Great Lakes and surrounding waterways.  Plus, there are great views of the Duluth harbor and Lake Superior from the aquarium galleries.

Mine would be in order:

1. Newport KY

2. Charelston SC

3. Shedd in Chicago 

4. Chattanooga (FW displays are best)

5. Georgia 

6. Wakiki in Hi - small but well done.

We love the Georgia aquarium I can literally spend hours there in front the reef tank and the whale shark tank. While I agree with others that it can be a little amusement parkish if you get lucky enough to go when it’s not overly crowded it’s a pretty nice time.

Also really enjoy the New Orleans Audubon Aquarium. A lot of locally themed exhibits and well layed out. 

squamptonbc

Forgot about the aquarium at work. Its just one single aquarium but still cool.

Located in the international terminal at Vancouver Intl Airport in Canada.

Only way to see it is as a passenger flying international or work at the airport.

23270332_10154995088771787_6830546889936432713_o.jpg

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
1 hour ago, Segalplayer said:

1. Georgia Aquarium SO DOPE! Whale sharks! (pics are from here)IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.39accc05dbfa58cff314870ab582a273.JPGIMG_0567.thumb.JPG.108dfd71d290a03dc3fbcd87fc49007e.JPGIMG_0551.thumb.JPG.4089123a7672d44fcefc882a813596b9.JPGIMG_0563.thumb.JPG.3d791a8b146768b824feb3bd1e8f33cc.JPG

2. Monterey Bay 

3. Long Beach Aquarium

Kind of sad to see a whale shark in captivity unless they’re rehabilitating it ? still cool though lol 

• Like 1
Segalplayer
7 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Kind of sad to see a whale shark in captivity unless they’re rehabilitating it ? still cool though lol 

yep they do,  they have 3 they were at the time

• Like 1
tdannhauser30
1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

Forgot about the aquarium at work. Its just one single aquarium but still cool.

Located in the international terminal at Vancouver Intl Airport in Canada.

Only way to see it is as a passenger flying international or work at the airport.

23270332_10154995088771787_6830546889936432713_o.jpg

Thats a pretty sweet airport for having that lol, are those local specemins as well?

squamptonbc
55 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Thats a pretty sweet airport for having that lol, are those local specemins as well?

Yeah. Local sea life from the area waters.