Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitch's FIshes "Not Another Fusion 10..." Fusion 10

Mitch's Fishes

Mitch's Fishes

Hi Nano-Reef! Mitch here and I'm finally all settled in after a big cross country move. I am going to be setting up my Fusion 10 again and reusing all of my equipment from my previous build. I'm hopefully finally going to be settled in place for a while (I've moved from AZ to WI to CA all in the past 2 years) so I am going to try and keep a thread going for more than a few months.  

Here's what I'm working with:

MVIMG_20180103_134222.thumb.jpg.d136a1dd4944d056e1862def95dca6c5.jpg

Tank- Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10

Light- Kessil A80 with Spectral Controller

Circulation- Sicce Syncra 0.5 with Spinstream attachment

Heater- 50w Eheim Jager with Inkbird temperature controller

ATO- Tunze Osmolator Nano

Filtration- IM Aqua Gadget caddy w/ filter pads and Seachem Matrix

Reactor- AquaMaxx reactor converted to algae reactor

Sand- 5 lbs Special Grade

Rock- approx. 8 lbs Reef Saver rock

I have been cycling my rock in a bucket for the past 6 weeks so I should be ready for livestock soon!

Mitch's Fishes
2 hours ago, mantisman379 said:

What do you plan on keep in this lovely glass box? 

I was hoping to keep this one simple and just do a clownfish, some sexy shrimp and a bta. However, I'm not sure how a BTA would do in a small tank and under the A80. Any thoughts?

The last time I had this set up, I tried a mixed reef but found it too hard to manage all the corals in such a tight space. So I'm hoping to be able to resist the temptation of throwing in a bunch of beautiful frags this time and keep it simple.

Yea I found it difficult after about a half year my bta, hammer and frogspawn have real close to one another. Never underestimate those sweaper tentacles! If only you were in the mke area id sell ya some frags cheap ??

Mitch's Fishes
18 hours ago, mantisman379 said:

Yea I found it difficult after about a half year my bta, hammer and frogspawn have real close to one another. Never underestimate those sweaper tentacles! If only you were in the mke area id sell ya some frags cheap ??

Bummer, I'm still looking for my local frag guy here in SD haha

Mitch's Fishes

My rock has been cycling for about 2 months now so I have decided to scape it and add livestock! Going to be adding Seachem Stability for peace of mind.

I picked up a Snowflake clown at my local Petco for $30. I normally don't buy my fish from Petco but this store had some of the best looking tanks and healthiest fish I have seen in any store ever. I also got a scarlet and blue leg hermit from a LFS.

I'm not a huge fan of my scape right now and the lone purple "Life Rock" isn't doing any favors but hopefully, in time, everything will start to blend.

FTS:

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
Mitch's Fishes

This build has been pretty boring but that is how I want it. I am trying to take this one slow and keep maintenance to a minimum.

With that being said, I did pick up this little Black Ocellaris. He is getting along well with my other clown and is already showing signs of submission. Hopefully they will pair up soon. 

IMG_20180116_172222 (1).jpg

IMG_20180116_172232 (1).jpg

• 1 year later...
Mitch's Fishes
On 1/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, Mitch's Fishes said:

I am going to try and keep a thread going for more than a few months.  

Lol...

On 1/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, Mitch's Fishes said:

The last time I had this set up, I tried a mixed reef but found it too hard to manage all the corals in such a tight space. So I'm hoping to be able to resist the temptation of throwing in a bunch of beautiful frags this time and keep it simple.

This tank has pretty much been on autopilot the past year. I've decided to just stick to softies, especially the "weedier" varieties like GSP, xenia, and kenya tree, and I have to say, I have been loving it! Sure the colors are fairly pastel and nothing really pops, but I love how easy these corals are to maintain and how much movement they add. And the thing I find most satisfying is just watching them grow and take over the tank. I know that the unchecked growth of soft corals is the bane of many reefers existences, but I have really been trying to find enjoyment with simply watching the corals grow. With my last set up, I would add a coral, be happy for a few days, and then set my sights on the next coral, without really taking the time to appreciate the coral I just bought. So this time around, I am trying to find satisfaction in maintaining a balanced, healthy reef. I will admit, I haven’t had much luck with zoanthids, but I think they are getting crowded out by the xenia and GSP.

I still have the two clowns I started with and have since added a yellow clown goby. All pretty basic fish, but again, the goal here is low maintenance. I even have the original nassarius and margarita snails, and one of the hermits that I started with. So, she may not seem like much, but this tank has been a blast for the past year!

IMG_1985.thumb.jpg.6d1b17550c68479601c6893489b658d2.jpgIMG_1986.thumb.jpg.27f59c498c527c9d6b4ee9e767d84820.jpgIMG_1987.thumb.jpg.da667224ee8c4736abf4a8db0b4120b0.jpgIMG_1997.thumb.jpg.6684e12851513997b21785c77e498a03.jpg

• Like 2
Mitch's Fishes
On 4/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, Couesfanatic said:

Any details on the fan? looks the same USB fan I use.

I'm pretty sure it's this, an Artic Breeze USB fan. I have it connected to the Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller and it does a nice job at keeping the tank 78 degrees, +- 1 degree. 

• Like 1
Mitch's Fishes
17 hours ago, Couesfanatic said:

Thats the same one I have, good to hear its working. Did you silicone the ink bird probe?

No... Am I supposed to? 😅Lol are you talking about the metal temperature probe that is submerged?

• Like 1
Mitch's Fishes
14 hours ago, Couesfanatic said:

I've seen a few on here that were rusting. I'm not sure if it matters or not. I've seen people silicone them

Good to know, I'll keep an eye on it.