inTank Media Baskets

Sarah Ann's Fluval Spec III Pico Reef

Sissy

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Are you keeping frag plugs? 

No, I just don’t want to commit them to a specific spot on my rocks yet because my space is so limited. 

Five.five-six
On 6/21/2018 at 7:32 PM, Sarah Ann said:

They’re in, and opening up already! 

They gave me a freebie that is in the back left of the tank, but I’m not sure what it is yet. Any ideas?

F840E0C9-A842-425A-9801-122954019813.jpeg

What’s that one? I really want a frag of it

A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

My red goni is all retracted and some of its polyps have popped off 😞

Sorry to hear that. I wonder what could caused it to retract and lose polyps? After seeing yours I got one myself. 

On 6/23/2018 at 12:45 PM, Sarah Ann said:

No, I just don’t want to commit them to a specific spot on my rocks yet because my space is so limited. 

Got it. 

A Little Blue
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Those little frag racks are cute! Do you mind linking where you found them?

I saw them on Am@zon. But not sure if those are exactly the same. 

8 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Sorry to hear that. I wonder what could caused it to retract and lose polyps? After seeing yours I got one myself. 

Got it. 

Sadly, I have no idea. Everything else, including the freebie goni they sent is doing super. The little polyps are literally just dislodging and floating off. No discoloration or any sign of disease. Maybe it hates my light and water? I know they're tough to keep. I don't think it's coming back though.

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Those little frag racks are cute! Do you mind linking where you found them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5XOPEI/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really LOVE these! They are compact and the magnet is super strong. The clear acrylic is super non-invasive looking in my tank as well. Highly recommended!

• Like 1
A Little Blue
7 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

Sadly, I have no idea. Everything else, including the freebie goni they sent is doing super. The little polyps are literally just dislodging and floating off. No discoloration or any sign of disease. Maybe it hates my light and water? I know they're tough to keep. I don't think it's coming back though.

Part of reefing. Sometimes, it’s just hard to tell why corals hate our tanks. I have had cases of unexpected mood swings and even death.  It was certainly frustrating and for a while, it drove me away from this hobby.

The fix?

I stopped stressing about it and  took more laidback approach. 

There are countless corals that will appreciate your tank and make it better then ever. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5XOPEI/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really LOVE these! They are compact and the magnet is super strong. The clear acrylic is super non-invasive looking in my tank as well. Highly recommended!

Thanks for the link, I've been on the lookout for small frag racks, I'm tired of my soap dish frag racks falling down all the time lol. 

• Like 1

Some of the polyps look like they’re holding on and trying to extend a bit. I’m hoping for the best. 

The ones that are gone we’re literally like the nannies in Mary Poppins when the wind comes. 

4F1C1F5A-F682-4719-85FC-5C634FD99B6F.jpeg

Keeping that goni will be hard. What’s your feeding regimen? They do good with reef roid or smaller sized food . Probably more flow is required as well

how is the strawberry shortcake doing?

10 hours ago, Ranjib said:

Keeping that goni will be hard. What’s your feeding regimen? They do good with reef roid or smaller sized food . Probably more flow is required as well

how is the strawberry shortcake doing?

I tried moving it to higher flow, and the polyps started flying off, so I moved it back to moderate flow for now. I have been feeding reef roids, but to no avail. Hopefully these polyps hold on and recover.

I tested my water with my API master test kit, but don't have any others:

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

pH=8.0

Nitrate=10ish (due for a water change this weekend anyways)

I'll get more test kits, but I haven't really needed them, as I only had inverts and a couple hardy shrooms prior. 

The strawberry shortcake is doing amazing and starting to branch another little tiny arm already. From the top down, it really shows its green/fuchsia contrasts.

My leptoseris is getting a really nice deeper color.

My green and yellow rhodactis has split and has a much richer color than when I got it. The rest of the shrooms are super.

My torch is doing great.

The freebie white goni seems super happy, and it was right next to the red goni.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

I don’t think you need to dose Alk/Ca in such a small tank. Water changes should certainly suffice. Small weekly WC and some trace elements/fuel should help. 

Glad to hear everything else is happy tho. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I don’t think you need to dose Alk/Ca in such a small tank. Water changes should certainly suffice. Small weekly WC and some trace elements/fuel should help. 

Glad to hear everything else is happy tho. 

Thanks, I wouldn't think I would need to dose. I'll be doing a water change later this morning. Hopefully it will perk up a bit.

A Little Blue
5 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

Thanks, I wouldn't think I would need to dose. I'll be doing a water change later this morning. Hopefully it will perk up a bit.

How often do you WC on your tank?

9 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

How often do you WC on your tank?

About once every 10 days. I may shorten to once a week in smaller amounts. 

If you have some Lugol's iodine, you might try a dip on the goni. A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  It's not a cure-all, and I've never had a goni, but I've seen it help a lot of ailing corals. 

• Like 2
On 7/1/2018 at 4:52 AM, Lula_Mae said:

If you have some Lugol's iodine, you might try a dip on the goni. A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  It's not a cure-all, and I've never had a goni, but I've seen it help a lot of ailing corals. 

Totally gone. Everything else is still doing great. 

In other news, our houseplant seems to be really enjoying its newish spot by the tank and soaking up the light by leaning into it. 

2FADBC7F-D3F5-4343-8663-5EE03567C780.jpeg

• Sad 1

Today’s installment of “Any hermit is going to be a nuisance”:

There are six large shells. Only one has a coral attached to it. I just moved it to a good spot on the sand yesterday, and this morning was like, how the hell did it get up there?

930F37AD-EDB1-472B-B0BA-0C6BB5407023.jpeg

• Like 2

So, my strawberry shortcake acro is completely white. It was thriving yesterday. I did a water change on the 4th. 

I have no idea what happened and am feeling super defeated by it, as I don't know much about SPS and am new to keeping them. Everything else seems fine.

Could the idiot crab with the mushroom shell have rubbed against it and stung it maybe? It's a yuma type shroom attached to it.

dferrari13
On 6/28/2018 at 11:32 PM, Sarah Ann said:

My red goni is all retracted and some of its polyps have popped off 😞

I struggled to keep my pink goni alive...but it eventually died....gonis are awesome but sometimes tough to keep for some reason