Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sarah Ann's Fluval Spec III Pico Reef

Sissy

On 6/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, Sarah Ann said:

I got my IM Hydrofill ATO setup installed! I had to search for the right size tubing and do a bit of rigging with zip ties and a foam pad to secure the inlet and return bracket. I used my old Top Fin Retreat 2.5 as my top off water sump. I razored put the rear chamber so it is just a glass box. 

The pump originally wouldn’t prime, then wouldn’t turn on when the water was low, but that resolved itself when I disconnected and reconnected the sensors. It just started working after that. So far, so good! I will be getting two water sensor alarms that will alert my cell if things start heckin. 

2E4C07FE-3DCC-40A8-8CEA-4B097D9EB41D.jpeg

F4BF1A13-1169-4B9C-9DDE-C88889A5928A.jpeg

77412A0F-797E-475D-9C63-D0E459AB0E67.jpeg

40078949-9D07-47F6-BC09-C8A8D23C6D50.jpeg

0C276F21-EB2D-42E4-8DA0-55FA139115D1.jpeg

I really like that ato. I have one too. I’m surprised they’re not more popular honestly. I would recommend hitting up a hardware store for some small stainless steel hose clamps to replace those tie wraps though. They might work fine but I’d be nervous using them. 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:12 AM, A Little Blue said:

Looking into the same ATO to replace my old Tunze nano. From what I hear, it’s a solid performer. 

You mentioned earlier that you get notifications on your phone...... what did I miss? Did you get Apex or something else? 

Great ato. Worth the money and if you get just the parts you need you can save a few bucks. My dumb ass bought the whole kit and didn’t use all the little extras that it includes. 

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

I really like that ato. I have one too. I’m surprised they’re not more popular honestly. I would recommend hitting up a hardware store for some small stainless steel hose clamps to replace those tie wraps though. They might work fine but I’d be nervous using them. 

Great ato. Worth the money and if you get just the parts you need you can save a few bucks. My dumb ass bought the whole kit and didn’t use all the little extras that it includes. 

I have a bunch of the metal hose clamps, but was nervous to use metal around the salt water, even though they’re not in a wet area. 

3 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

I have a bunch of the metal hose clamps, but was nervous to use metal around the salt water, even though they’re not in a wet area. 

Stainless steel. Get those ones. 

19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Is that HG Gold Torch? 

Tank is getting colored up very nicely. 👍

It wasn’t labeled as such, but looks like it very well could be. Not photoshopped or anything, and this pic was in high light, not heavy blues. There is just a vignette on it to cover the surrounding crap that was in the pic. It is truly stunning. Not quite like the Reefers direct one that was posted on r2r, but that one seems like it was heavily photoshopped and sounds made up, based on all the posts being from shop employees and nothing ever popping up free range after that thread died off. 

Thanks! Due to the small size, I’m going big with every piece I drop in. I need a tiny frag rack. After my aquasd order comes in, I’m going to hit up Jason Fox Corals. Also, my LFS has a jawbreaker clone popping out I may be able to get my hands on soon. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Sarah Ann said:

It wasn’t labeled as such, but looks like it very well could be. Not photoshopped or anything, and this pic was in high light, not heavy blues. There is just a vignette on it to cover the surrounding crap that was in the pic. It is truly stunning. Not quite like the Reefers direct one that was posted on r2r, but that one seems like it was heavily photoshopped and sounds made up, based on all the posts being from shop employees and nothing ever popping up free range after that thread died off. 

Thanks! Due to the small size, I’m going big with every piece I drop in. I need a tiny frag rack. After my aquasd order comes in, I’m going to hit up Jason Fox Corals. Also, my LFS has a jawbreaker clone popping out I may be able to get my hands on soon. 

Those HG go for pretty penny. Yours definitely looks like super premium Gold or baby HG. Either way, an awesome addition that will add some motion to your tank and do it with style. 

Your taste is quite exquisite and colorful. 

By the time you’re done, it’s going to have more verity and collector pieces than your shoe rack. 🤣

3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Those HG go for pretty penny. Yours definitely looks like super premium Gold or baby HG. Either way, an awesome addition that will add some motion to your tank and do it with style. 

Your taste is quite exquisite and colorful. 

By the time you’re done, it’s going to have more verity and collector pieces than your shoe rack. 🤣

I paid $140 for one head, though it does look like it is splitting a bit, so 1.5. . .not cheap, but less than my Jimmy Choos 🙂 

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, Sarah Ann said:

I paid $140 for one head, though it does look like it is splitting a bit, so 1.5. . .not cheap, but less than my Jimmy Choos 🙂 

Hahaha ..... well, that is the price that HG could go for. Of course, some crazies charge way more than that. If it is a HG with 11/2 heads well, that was a $ well spent. I might get one from one of the locals in few weeks, so we can compare. 

And you’re absolutely right, they are waaaaay more vibrant and majestic in person. 

I’m also on the look out for a nice, safe and practical F-rack. But I might hold off the purchase till after Reefapalooza. Hoping to find something interesting at the show. 

25 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Hahaha ..... well, that is the price that HG could go for. Of course, some crazies charge way more than that. If it is a HG with 11/2 heads well, that was a $ well spent. I might get one from one of the locals in few weeks, so we can compare. 

And you’re absolutely right, they are waaaaay more vibrant and majestic in person. 

I’m also on the look out for a nice, safe and practical F-rack. But I might hold off the purchase till after Reefapalooza. Hoping to find something interesting at the show. 

It has better color now than when I first got it, so it seems happy. I'm hoping it continues in that direction.

21 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

No fishy? 

You could use some nice pink or red sps for contrast 😉

I have a nice acro with pink polyps coming, and also a red Goni that will go on the left side of the tank. A beach bum monti is in the future. I may swap out the current green SPS for something a little more color diverse. I’m eyeballing several sps from Jason Fox, so things will get exciting. 

Also, here’s some pics under heavy blues, raw images, zero edits. 

4F4636EF-F518-4E49-B91B-77F4F16498C6.jpeg

0C5DEAA9-6889-4F66-A07D-7EBEB88D4970.jpeg

9E9836A4-C081-4EF8-B7BD-E4EAA28A121C.jpeg

305BC89B-F2FA-40D1-B209-B81A1C7C9659.jpeg

• Like 1
A Little Blue

CB Maleficent Acro is probably the most beautiful red that you can find if you want some red in your tank. 

If you need some more sofisticated green as a replacement 4 your green acro, LRO Komodo Island comes to mind. 

Both extremely beautiful but a bit too rich for my coin. 

Awesome contrast under actinic blues. 

Torch PA looks kinda puffed up.  

What’s your flow like in that area? 

Edit

looking forward to see your new additions 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

CB Maleficent Acro is probably the most beautiful red that you can find if you want some red in your tank. 

If you need some more sofisticated green as a replacement 4 your green acro, LRO Komodo Island comes to mind. 

Both extremely beautiful but a bit too rich for my coin. 

Awesome contrast under actinic blues. 

Torch PA look kinda puffed up.  

What’s your flow like in that area? 

Edit

looking forward to see your new additions 

Thanks! I'll check those out. The flow was off for the pics, so they are definitely more puffy in that pic than when the pump is on. The tentacles on this torch are definitely fatter than regular run of the mill torches I see though.

A Little Blue
10 minutes ago, Sarah Ann said:

Thanks! I'll check those out. The flow was off for the pics, so they are definitely more puffy in that pic than when the pump is on. The tentacles on this torch are definitely fatter than regular run of the mill torches I see though.

Hmmm interesting. I have seen few HG in person. Tentacles were usually super long and a bit on the thin side. However, online seller’ pics usually show a bit shorter and more puffed up flames. 

TTYS 

edit:

pics to save you some google time

7E5CC975-F778-4173-8A3F-37CF69574063.thumb.jpeg.c2a69156cd9de1e378620b432f52d78e.jpegA1F1D979-8E38-4297-893E-3FC51B5066DF.thumb.jpeg.f19f1d07b27d15ed3ee0639c5bfd5348.jpeg

I think your decision to go big on every piece you drop in is a terrific idea.  I regret buying some "meh" pieces just to fill a spot without considering that even if it does serve the purpose of filling a spot, I could've shopped around for something nicer that I wouldn't regret later.  I'm excited to watch you fill this up!

4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I think your decision to go big on every piece you drop in is a terrific idea.  I regret buying some "meh" pieces just to fill a spot without considering that even if it does serve the purpose of filling a spot, I could've shopped around for something nicer that I wouldn't regret later.  I'm excited to watch you fill this up!

I think I'm going to get a frag rack to let things hang out before committing and attaching anything, just to be sure they look great in the tank.

My Aqua SD order comes tomorrow morning!! I did a water change to prep my tank for new sea friends. I obliterated the aiptasias, and cut my extra 1/4" tubing on a steep angle to wedge the bubble algae off as it siphoned it out. Seems to be a good method, and hopefully extracted any spores that might have popped out in the process of removal. I ordered some really small, clear, magnetic frag racks from amazon, but I don't think they'll be here until the weekend. I really want to get to know everything before I start placing them. Things are pretty exciting.

I thought I lost one of my tiny new blue leg hermits, but it turns out, he just rehomed into a huge extra shell that was in the tank.

I'm having second thoughts about tearing off the mediocre green and purple big shrooms. They're not great, but I think I would be sad to part with them since I've had them for so long. 

• Like 1

They’re in, and opening up already! 

They gave me a freebie that is in the back left of the tank, but I’m not sure what it is yet. Any ideas?

DAF9863B-8895-471E-A32F-01F4FA1D8AC2.jpeg

F840E0C9-A842-425A-9801-122954019813.jpeg

2F9B087C-091A-47F4-A7A9-F2460F36AE62.jpeg

0279BF75-442F-492C-885A-6D23DDBC072C.jpeg

B8F78F2A-B723-49F6-B0AC-EBBA77795DA0.jpeg

45DEBD55-CBD6-4C95-B39A-4B8D8B3B5B52.jpeg

665BCD4C-BC63-4F7D-8513-5DAF8476E23C.jpeg

624124B5-9A99-468C-B16E-022A9523C5AE.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Didn’t want to say anything but I am glad you took care of that aiptasia outbreak.  

Oh, I knew about those guys and the bubble algae. They just weren't bothering anything else at the time and I was waiting until they were big enough to effectively cover in Aiptasia X. Both came on one of my live rock pieces and have always been a minor nuisance.

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Sarah Ann said:

Oh, I knew about those guys and the bubble algae. They just weren't bothering anything else at the time and I was waiting until they were big enough to effectively cover in Aiptasia X. Both came on one of my live rock pieces and have always been a minor nuisance.

Usually I get one on frag(s) from “guru” hobbyists or friends. Bc that’s what friends are for. 😉

I got my mini frag racks. I put them in place around the levels I’d like each to go. We’ll see how they like it. 

Also, I broke a tip off of my acro while heckin around with the racks 😞 

20559751-7C6C-411B-8FF1-15D1B3D444B1.jpeg

E0795768-FB76-4BB7-AA1E-34ADEF1C18FF.jpeg