Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sarah Ann's Fluval Spec III Pico Reef

Sissy

Hello! Long time, no post. 

I've downsized my Nuvo10, which I probably never posted about, to a 2.5 gallon pico tank. It's well established and hasn't had anything real exciting in it due to a move, just a nice little condo for my inverts for the past year, plus two ugly shrooms that survive with the beta light, and a giant aptasia that I just eradicated this week (RIP) to prepare to add some corals and nems I actually like. 

I think the tank is about 8x8x8. It is a cheap Top Fin Retreat from PetSmart. I kept the sand from my old Nuvo10 setup and also a tiny bit of liverock from that as well. I should have my Kessil A80 here this Friday, and hope it fits. I have a fluval heater in the back sump area and occasionally use the carbon filter inserts made for the tank. I am going to "upgrade" the pump to the tiny Tunze, but not today because I haven't measured to see if it will fit. The stock pump doesn't move quite enough water and it's a little loud. It also connects to a branched cord so the light and pump are all on one AC plug, which is a nice feature for the little tank, but won't meet my needs when I put the new light on. I have no algae or other issues in the little tank.

I've had 7 and 10 gallon setups, but never anything this small. I love how easy the water changes are and the simplicity, or non-existence, of my equipment. I am looking for recommendations of inhabitants, such as nems and corals. I don't want to do any dosing, but do like sps corals, though I've never had any. Are they even possible in this type of setup? I love shrooms also and don't know if the lighting will work to support both, due to the small size of the tank. I will only be stocking super BA specimens, and obviously am in no hurry, but will keep this thread updated as I make changes.

11 January 2018:

Upgraded to Kessil A80 light

19 May 2018:

Upgraded tank to Fluval Spec III

28 May 2018:

Added Kessil Spectral Controller

30 May 2018:

Added Inkbird Temperature Controller

09 June 2018:

Added IM Hydrofill ATO system

Setup:

TopFin 2.5 Gallon Retreat

Fluval Spec III

Aqueon 25w submersible heater

Kessil A80 Tuna Blue light

Kessil Spectral Controller

Inkbird Temperature Controller

IM Nuvo 10 Pump (92gph) to replace stock pump

InTank Media Basket 

InTank Clip On Surface Skimmer on intake

IM Hydrofill ATO setup

Homemade Surface Skimmer Intake Mod

Upgrading to a tiny Tunze pump as soon as I shave off part of the housing of it to fit in the back of the tank.

Current critters:

2x  3x Sexy Shrimp

1x Pom Pom Crab

2x Nassarius Snails

2x 1x 0x 3x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (one regular, one little blue leg) Blue leg is missing/assumed deceased. He was 2 years old. RIP. Nobody local has any in stock.

Billions of spaghetti worms and pods running around

Corals & Non-motile Inverts:

1x Rock Flower Anemone

2x Boring mushrooms that were on a piece of liverock. 1 purple & 1 green (Getting traded at some point due to lack of wow)

3x Acans

1x Golden Torch Coral

1x Green Goblin Acro (Probably going to be traded due to lack of wow)

1x Blue Rhodactis Mushroom

1x Green & Yellow Rhodactis Mushroom

An order from AquaSD.com will drop in soon, including:

1x Alienware Palys

1x Strawberry Shortcake Acro

1x Rainbow Pox Discosoma Mushroom

1x Aussie Bloodshot Discosoma Mushroom

1x Aussie Yellow Eye Long Tentacle Red Gonipora

Wish List (I would LOVE suggestions):

Beach Bum Montipora

More ultra colored RFA's

More ultra colored mushrooms

A really nice chalice or Monti Cap

B3CD1436-AF32-4C00-98DB-697A5FA1BBC7.jpeg

Edited by Sarah Ann
Updated Tank Details
  • Like 3

Thanks! I'm glad I had the black sand since the back of this little tank is silver. . .which I don't love, but will live with. It will help keep the contrast of future corals exciting I think.

• Like 2

I had a Tunze in my Nuvo10 and was really happy with it. The greatest part about this little pico is that this massive upgrade is going to set me back about $19.00 haha

• Thanks 1

Very cute! You can definitely do some SPS in a pico and weekly water changes will replenish the elements that get used up. I suggest maybe montipora digitata or birdsnest to start. Also zoas and blastos are favorites of mine. :)

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Very cute! You can definitely do some SPS in a pico and weekly water changes will replenish the elements that get used up. I suggest maybe montipora digitata or birdsnest to start. Also zoas and blastos are favorites of mine. :)

Great! Thank you!

Once I get my wishlist in place, I will probably rearrange the liverock to accommodate my desired additions, so I'm glad to hear that some sps will work without dosing and such. The welfare of all of my livestock is top priority, so I want to make sure that I'm not trying to add or mix species that require different environments to thrive, but I want all super colored specimens. I've never had a tank just full of all super awesome rare finds. Even at 2.5 gallons, I know better than to have any sort of expected budget, so the hunt should be fun.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome back to the community @Sarah Ann!

A Kessil A80 on a pico reef, how cool! With that small of a footprint you should be able to keep SPS coral no problem.

It's super easy to uploads and share photos right here to Nano-Reef.com now, even from your phone or tablet! Check out the attachment area beneath the post editor :happy: 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back to the community @Sarah Ann!

A Kessil A80 on a pico reef, how cool! With that small of a footprint you should be able to keep SPS coral no problem.

It's super easy to uploads and share photos right here to Nano-Reef.com now, even from your phone or tablet! Check out the attachment area beneath the post editor :happy: 

All of my photos are too large lol. I will resize them and post them when I have good ones :) Is there a good app to use to access and post on the forum? Last time I was actually posting, I'm pretty sure was prior to the release of the first iPhone. haha

I've always been more of a lurker, but for quite a while. I've been in and out of the hobby over the years, but in it for the last 3 or so, but just pretty dormant and inactive. Nothing exciting to report.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

That pump is so cute. I almost want to buy one it says only 2 left. But I do not need one. Good luck with the tank. Did you get rid of the other tanks? Happy Hunting. 

I did get rid of them over the years. I still have the Nuvo10, probably in my in-law's garage...I gave it to them and I guess they couldn't figure out how to use it. It's super nice, but I just don't know where to put it or want to invest in it right now. I will keep it around though.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, Sarah Ann said:

All of my photos are too large lol. I will resize them and post them when I have good ones :) Is there a good app to use to access and post on the forum? Last time I was actually posting, I'm pretty sure was prior to the release of the first iPhone. haha

I've always been more of a lurker, but for quite a while. I've been in and out of the hobby over the years, but in it for the last 3 or so, but just pretty dormant and inactive. Nothing exciting to report.

The community has definitely had to evolve with the modern web and mobile devices, now more than ever! Back when you joined the iPhone was nothing but a top secret project :lol:. We don't have any special app to access the site, it's fully featured now on smartphones and tablets, although the design changes over to act more like an 'app' with mobile navigation. I adjusted some settings here so hopefully you can now upload photos directly, let me know if you still have trouble with the file size.

I'm glad you decided to share your system and start a journal, building out a new one is half the fun! Having something to look back on as your aquarium grows out is nice too, and it can inspire all those other lurkers out there :happy: 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The community has definitely had to evolve with the modern web and mobile devices, now more than ever! Back when you joined the iPhone was nothing but a top secret project :lol:. We don't have any special app to access the site, it's fully featured now on smartphones and tablets, although the design changes over to act more like an 'app' with mobile navigation. I adjusted some settings here so hopefully you can now upload photos directly, let me know if you still have trouble with the file size.

I'm glad you decided to share your system and start a journal, building out a new one is half the fun! Having something to look back on as your aquarium grows out is nice too, and it can inspire all those other lurkers out there :happy: 

Having 45 posts in almost 13 years may qualify me as the creepiest member of the forum.

Yay, the pic of my ugly tank will post now!

IMG_20180109_213425.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, I have done a lot of searching on WWC and Cherry Corals. I am definitely going to add Rock Flower Anemones, especially since my preferred critters are anemone hosts in nature. These seem to get along well in colonies?

I really like a lot of the vibrant acropora varieties, but am not sure if they will grow too big?

Five.five-six

Orange digitada, purple stylapora, various  monti caps.  You can find frags of these for most nothing and they should do fine in your tank with that light and a tunze pump.     

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

Ok, I have done a lot of searching on WWC and Cherry Corals. I am definitely going to add Rock Flower Anemones, especially since my preferred critters are anemone hosts in nature. These seem to get along well in colonies?

I really like a lot of the vibrant acropora varieties, but am not sure if they will grow too big?

When your acros start to outgrow the tank, just means it's time to frag! Or upgrade, but ya know. 

• Haha 2

Thanks for the recommendations and input. That'll be something else for me to learn, but doesn't seem too hard when the time should come. I think I will have to just see how things do, but I'm trying to go in with a plan, as for the super colored frags I like, I'm expecting to pay $50-100 each, so I want to make sure I'm making good species choices too. 

One of my new tiny sexy shrimp died and vanished. He seemed healthy, but was new. The new ones replaced my previous ones that lived for two and three years. All of my other inverts thrive, so I'm not sure what happened. I think I'll get two more to have a trio of them. I've had hit or miss luck with sexy shrimp. They either die fast or live for a few years. There aren't any predators in my tank, but I'm sure the hermits get them once they're toast. Even my brown/red hermit doesn't bother anything, besides being kind of an idiot.

• Like 1

I got my Kessil A80. Here are the pics to compare with the before pics. It seems really blue? The last real reef lights I had were PC lights, so maybe I just have to get used to the LED.

IMG_20180111_200155.jpg

IMG_20180111_200210.jpg

17 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

I got my Kessil A80. Here are the pics to compare with the before pics. It seems really blue? The last real reef lights I had were PC lights, so maybe I just have to get used to the LED.

IMG_20180111_200155.jpg

IMG_20180111_200210.jpg

I think the A80 does tend towards blue, but I think your old light was also pretty white, more freshwater spectrum (6700k~).

20 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think the A80 does tend towards blue, but I think your old light was also pretty white, more freshwater spectrum (6700k~).

It's looking less blue now. The last one was for freshwater plants, so very yellow. I only really had it on there so I could see my seafriends. I haven't added anything exciting yet, but may go to the LFS (are they still called that?) this afternoon.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...