Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP Aussie gold torch DEAD??

medinar83

New to the reef world, any help would be awesome,

I’ve had this coral for 4 month and just the past 2 days it started to show this behavior, the skeleton is red and as you can see from the pics one head is retracted. Should I trash it? Don’t want to mess with other coral. Everything else looks happy. 

Thank you in advance 

DBA2116B-7C6B-458C-A7D1-E7C79F5A048E.jpeg

76433817-A2BA-41FD-BEB0-8A4337109B8F.jpeg

9E949198-67AD-41C6-898D-E34371A838AD.jpeg

Now I do not know much about euphilia coral, but I would say if part of the coral is thriving and the other part is not, just keep it. worst case scenario the pissed off half dies and you can cut it off and save the good head. You might want to try and look at night and see if there is something eating the coral because it shouldn't be showing skeleton like that unless it's being attacked by another coral or a pest.

• Like 1

Not dead but definitely not happy. A number of things can cause a Euphyllia to retract. Water conditions, water flow, irritation from a pest or the simple fact that they are pooping. I'd dip the coral first if you are concerned. There does look like there is a little bit of die off at the top of the left hand side of their piece. If the tissue has been damaged in any way this could set off brown jelly infection from which the coral will have little chance of recovering from. Brown jelly can and will spread amongst all other Euphyllia so keep a close eye on it.

18 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

Not dead but definitely not happy. A number of things can cause a Euphyllia to retract. Water conditions, water flow, irritation from a pest or the simple fact that they are pooping. I'd dip the coral first if you are concerned. There does look like there is a little bit of die off at the top of the left hand side of their piece. If the tissue has been damaged in any way this could set off brown jelly infection from which the coral will have little chance of recovering from. Brown jelly can and will spread amongst all other Euphyllia so keep a close eye on it.

Awesome thanks for the info, just looked up brown jelly, that might be it, you are correct you can see some damaged/missing tissue on the top left corner. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, medinar83 said:

Awesome thanks for the info, just looked up brown jelly, that might be it, you are correct you can see some damaged/missing tissue on the top left corner. 

If it shows any sign of tissue degradation due to brown jelly remove the piece immediately and keep a close eye on your other Euphyllia. I recently lost  3/4 of my Euphyllia to brown jelly over a 3 week period. It really is a horrible disease and unfortunately we don't know enough about it to have any guaranteed treatments against it. Aussie gold torches are also notorious for being hard to keep, they just don't seem as hardy as other torches. Even here in Australia, quite experienced reefers struggle to keep these pieces long term. I hope it's simply an unhappy coral, that would be the best case scenario.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, RollaJase said:

If it shows any sign of tissue degradation due to brown jelly remove the piece immediately and keep a close eye on your other Euphyllia. I recently lost  3/4 of my Euphyllia to brown jelly over a 3 week period. It really is a horrible disease and unfortunately we don't know enough about it to have any guaranteed treatments against it. Aussie gold torches are also notorious for being hard to keep, they just don't seem as hardy as other torches. Even here in Australia, quite experienced reefers struggle to keep these pieces long term. I hope it's simply an unhappy coral, that would be the best case scenario.

Thanks for the advice. I feel bad for giving out bad advice now xD 

• Like 1