Jordan Coltman

Any Ideas?

Jordan Coltman

Hi guys, any help with this would be much appreciated! I started my tank just over 3 weeks ago now and the cycle seems to be going great. I started with live sand and all dry rock...however over this past week there's been bacteria/Algae growing initially on one rock and now spreading to the rest of the rock within the tank. Please help! 

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

seabass

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

Looks like freshwater cyanobacteria. :)  However, I assume this is a marine tank.  Not all cyano is red.  You could brush it off with a toothbrush and siphon it up.  What type of flow do you have in this tank?

Jordan Coltman

Should this be something I want to get rid of as soon as possible? Yes this is a marine ? The tank is a Red Sea reefer with a Jecod marine DCT-2000 return pump and a Jecod SW-4 power head. 

seabass
32 minutes ago, Jordan Coltman said:

Should this be something I want to get rid of as soon as possible?

It's not critical that you get rid of it ASAP.  However, it's probably something that you should take care of before you add any livestock.

Jordan Coltman

Okay cheers! When you say livestock, Does that include CUC? 

seabass

Yeah.  Although there are critters that will eat cyano, I'd try to get rid of the cyano prior to introducing a cleanup crew.  After all, if they are eating, they are pooping.  You can take care of this pretty easy.  Just brush it off and siphon it out (replacing the water with fresh new saltwater).  When it stops showing up, feel free to add your crew.

Jordan Coltman

Okay, will do! Do you think it's best to wait until the cycle is complete as replacing the water will ultimately slow the cycle down. Or try and rid of the Cyano as soon as possible? 

seabass

If ammonia is on the decline, then you can change out water without delaying the cycle.  That said, it's not critical to get rid of cyano immediately.