inTank Media Baskets

DaveFason

We have been working on a lighting guide for months and now feel confident to share. The NanoBox Lighting Guide features four new presets that work extremely well for reef tanks. We hope the guide helps new to experienced reef keepers have successful aquariums using NanoBox lighting. 

The guide goes over...

• Overview
  • Lighting Placement 
  • NEW NanoBox Presets
  • Coral Care - Common NanoBox practices to reef keeping

The presets work for all units ranging from the Tide to Hybrids. 

NanoBoxLightingGuidePage1NanoBoxLightingGuidePage2NanoBoxLightingGuidePage3NanoBoxLightingGuidePage4NanoBoxLightingGuidePage5

We want to thank @ninjamyst, @Justind823 @markalot for the incredible photos! 

Enjoy! 

-Dave

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
burtbollinger

I am at 78 on my blues but I like the idea of dropping them to 70 to match the LPS+ preset.  

Is it harmful to drop from 78 to 70 rapidly?

Or with the incoming diffuser, should I just leave at 78 and call it a day?

11 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I am at 78 on my blues but I like the idea of dropping them to 70 to match the LPS+ preset.  

Is it harmful to drop from 78 to 70 rapidly?

Or with the incoming diffuser, should I just leave at 78 and call it a day?

No harmful drops. Even with diffuser try it. 

-Dave

• Like 1
MortalWombat

Question: I have a NB Tide with the coralux storm controller. It's a 3 channel (moonlight is 3rd). The controls go up to 255. Can I cop similar settings by using x% of 255? Thanks.

20 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

Question: I have a NB Tide with the coralux storm controller. It's a 3 channel (moonlight is 3rd). The controls go up to 255. Can I cop similar settings by using x% of 255? Thanks.

Yes!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

You got it. 

-Dave

• Like 1

Currently been ramping up my %s slowly. Currently at 68% blues/cyan/violet and 16% white.

But I have my moonlight on at 0%. How fast can I ramp these up compared to the other light strings?

This is great.  Lowered my fixture immediately.  Only question is how long should the peak lighting period be?  Currently mine is peak for 4 hours with total of 12 hour photo period with a soft and LPS mix.  One monti but hardly countin as a high parameter SPS. 

14 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

This is great.  Lowered my fixture immediately.  Only question is how long should the peak lighting period be?  Currently mine is peak for 4 hours with total of 12 hour photo period with a soft and LPS mix.  One monti but hardly countin as a high parameter SPS. 

Choose one of the presets. It has everything set. Just adjust the start and end time. 

32 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Currently been ramping up my %s slowly. Currently at 68% blues/cyan/violet and 16% white.

But I have my moonlight on at 0%. How fast can I ramp these up compared to the other light strings?

The moonlight is a single LED so adjust right away. You will be fine. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Choose one of the presets. It has everything set. Just adjust the start and end time.

done thanks.  interestingly this is the first time I have ever heard the fan come on even though I had the fan setup.  I assume it is now working the way it should.  sounds like a little jet plane.  good stuff!

• Like 1

Set mine up with the Mixed Reef presets and adjusted it to the 20k look.

It's incredible, especially in the evening - thanks for sharing these!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, henri_1985 said:

Set mine up with the Mixed Reef presets and adjusted it to the 20k look.

It's incredible, especially in the evening - thanks for sharing these!

This is exactly what I like to hear! 

• Like 1

One future feature that may be nice, is to have a toggle that will allow you to adjust the maximum brightness for each preset (all within the set ratios) 

15 hours ago, William said:

One future feature that may be nice, is to have a toggle that will allow you to adjust the maximum brightness for each preset (all within the set ratios) 

Something to look at. The brightness and color ratio is all determined by the current sliders. The new presets however should be rock solid for 90% of tanks. 

13 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Just lowered my fixture too.  Looks like my whites have been way too high. 

Glad to hear! If you like the white look use the mixed reef. 

34 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Something to look at. The brightness and color ratio is all determined by the current sliders. The new presets however should be rock solid for 90% of tanks. 

Ohh I agree, the main reason I wanted a total output adjustment is to acclimate my tank (was using lower settings) to the higher intensity light. 

2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

It's not that I like the white, but my zoas are always stretching. 

19 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Lowering the light will be big for you. Report back!

I need to order a Duo soon, these presets are right up my alley. Perfect for people like me!

• Like 1

It's been about a week since I dropped my light down and set up one of the default settings.  This pic does not do it justice but my acans and candy cane have never been this happy/open.  The heads are huge!!. Not to be overly dramatic but this is game changing for my tank.  

new lights.JPG

• Like 3
zachjohnson65

Just one day with the mixed reef setting on my  RSM retro kit and one of my struggling leathers has opened double wide.  Just wish my kit would allow my fan to ramp.  When it was purchased I thought it was the version that had that feature and  was hoping for the  newer board with mint.   That’s what I get fro going through rapid led  and not dave directly.  But either way I have a nanobox.  Nice work on the setting upgrades.  Are there any other tweaks for a soft coral/ shroom centered tank?   

• Like 1
11 hours ago, zachjohnson65 said:

Just one day with the mixed reef setting on my  RSM retro kit and one of my struggling leathers has opened double wide.  Just wish my kit would allow my fan to ramp.  When it was purchased I thought it was the version that had that feature and  was hoping for the  newer board with mint.   That’s what I get fro going through rapid led  and not dave directly.  But either way I have a nanobox.  Nice work on the setting upgrades.  Are there any other tweaks for a soft coral/ shroom centered tank?   

Stick with those settings and let it roll!