inTank Media Baskets

crazy coral prices

NanoRox

This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

supply and demand.  someone out there is buying those "ultra" frags.  it's same as designer handbags or brand name clothes.

You are 100% right 

I’m still looking for a decent priced 

JF bobafett milli, lowest I found was 500$ 

:furious:

I don't even think my local store brings in corals anymore, they do sell a small selection of them, but they are almost all on consignment or have been traded in for store credit, prices are typically reasonable, but nothing rare or exciting.

If you've been in the hobby for a long while, then all the hoopla just doesn't get to you (well, most of the time, anyway).  Certain organizations/individuals who brand their names on corals are selling to those who want to be 'hip' with the latest in fancy named corals, those that want a coral with a certain lineage (makes it easier to find other reefers who have experience with the same strain) or are new and don't realize that good, and certainly much cheaper alternatives, exist.  No judgments as it's 'each to his/her own' in this or any other hobby.

While I've bought a specimen or two that was approaching $100, it had to be something quite special (to me at least).  Almost all my corals are from a vendors '10-pack', the $5 - $10 LFS bins (as long as it at least has some color in the LFS bin, it'll almost always get much better in a well maintained reef system given time), mini-frags scrounged from the bottom of the LFS bins and local reef clubs/reefers.  With patience and a good eye, it should be possible to stock a small nano for around $250 or so and be very pleased with the end result in a year or two once everything grows out.

• Like 5
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I have a fairly large ( 11 to 12 inches long)live rock covered in mushrooms. I have to sell it but have no idea what to ask for it. The tank was my brother's, he passed away and I have tried to take care of it but I don't know what I'm doing🙁  also, 2 beautiful mature black Onyx spawning clowns. 

Appreciate any help

• Like 1

It might help some if we saw a picture.  Some mushrooms are common and don't sell for very much, while others command higher prices.

The pair of clownfish might sell for as much as $120.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, vcam said:

Hi

I have a fairly large ( 11 to 12 inches long)live rock covered in mushrooms. I have to sell it but have no idea what to ask for it. The tank was my brother's, he passed away and I have tried to take care of it but I don't know what I'm doing🙁  also, 2 beautiful mature black Onyx spawning clowns. 

Appreciate any help

Sorry about your brother. We would need pics... you could also start a thread and everyone here will help you maintain the tank if you wish to keep it. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, vcam said:

Hi

Appreciate any help

Welcome to NR. Sorry it’s under such circumstances.  😕

Everyone here would be happy to help with any info you may need.