Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval EVO 13.5

JeffM83

I have had my tank set up for 23 days now with live rock , parameters are all good. Just a few questions before I really dive into stocking.

Other than the Prime, Stability and Marine Buffer do I need to buy any additives?

I will have Corals , do I need any additives for them ?

10 hours of light ok with the Stock LED lights ?

Corals or Fish first ? What is the best first coral to add ?

Thanks 

What does parameters all good mean? Can you post your test results? Stock EVO lights are fine for soft corals and most LPS. The stock filtration is crap. What is your filtration?  

Sorry, don't mean to sound so negative and know it all, but I also own this tank. I can tell you most of you most of the stock equipment is crap. 

2 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

What does parameters all good mean? Can you post your test results? Stock EVO lights are fine for soft corals and most LPS. The stock filtration is crap. What is your filtration?  

Sorry, don't mean to sound so negative and know it all, but I also own this tank. I can tell you most of you most of the stock equipment is crap. 

What filtration are you running?

InTank media basket in chamber 1 with filter floss on the top shelf, purigen on the second shelf, and a bag of chemipure elite hanging from the bottom of the second shelf.  IM minimax reactor with phosguard in chamber 2. 

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

I have the same tank which I started on 11/21/2017.  Right now things are going quite well.  I second the immediate replacement of the stock filter.  I also purchased @steviet InTank Media Basket for chamber 1.  I have filter floss on top and bottom shelves and ChemiPure bag in shelf 2.  I also have a carbon bag hanging in the empty second chamber.

InTank Media Basket

ChemiPure on Amazon

I run my stock Fluval lights from 2:00 PM to 9:30 PM, I have the Fluval Light timer

TImer on Amazon

which works amazingly and replicates sunrise and sunset, my moonlight runs when the main lights are off.  This timer was only $18 and allows you tons of adjustment and works with the stock light.

Here is my EVO at week 6/7

• Like 2

Cool! Nice looking tank!

That amount of light is sufficient for your corals ? Sorry I'am use to 10 hours with my Freshwater. I'm going to see how far things go with my Stock Filtration system, I've read some people have had no issues with it so I will wait and see how it goes 

11 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I have the same tank which I started on 11/21/2017.  Right now things are going quite well.  I second the immediate replacement of the stock filter.  I also purchased @steviet InTank Media Basket for chamber 1.  I have filter floss on top and bottom shelves and ChemiPure bag in shelf 2.  I also have a carbon bag hanging in the empty second chamber.

InTank Media Basket

ChemiPure on Amazon

I run my stock Fluval lights from 2:00 PM to 9:30 PM, I have the Fluval Light timer

TImer on Amazon

which works amazingly and replicates sunrise and sunset, my moonlight runs when the main lights are off.  This timer was only $18 and allows you tons of adjustment and works with the stock light.

Here is my EVO at week 6/7

Can you do a full review and demo including sunrise, sunset, moonlight, and a clear showing of the fading option?

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
12 hours ago, SXReefer said:

Can you do a full review and demo including sunrise, sunset, moonlight, and a clear showing of the fading option?

The people at Fluval have done this for you lol.  This is the exact timer I have, and it works perfectly with the stock Fluval EVO lights.

7 hours ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

The people at Fluval have done this for you lol.  This is the exact timer I have, and it works perfectly with the stock Fluval EVO lights.

Yeah, I saw the video but it doesn't exactly show it done in a tank.  I went to read the reviews and 50% of all reviews gave it a 1 star lol (amazon).  Youtube has barely any videos, if any, on the product hooked to an actual tank.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
23 hours ago, SXReefer said:

Yeah, I saw the video but it doesn't exactly show it done in a tank.  I went to read the reviews and 50% of all reviews gave it a 1 star lol (amazon).  Youtube has barely any videos, if any, on the product hooked to an actual tank.

So the stock light has a power adapter, the power cord has a connector down near the adapter itself (the wall plug).  You disconnect the power cord from he power adapter.  The portion of cord that directly connects to the light (which is the longer cord) plugs directly into the top of of the Fluval timer, the smaller cord leftover which is shorter and connects to the power adapter gets plugged into the bottom of the Fluval timer.  Just make sure you are on the same side of the timer (it has the ability to control two lights).

In a nutshell this Fluval timer works with any tank light that has that basic power cord connector like the Fluval has.  

As far as programming it its super super simple.  You set the time you want the "sunrise" to start, and then you set the time you want the "sunset" to start.  The third setting is the "moonlight" which you can have set to 0% (off) or any single percentage.  Mine is set to 1%, which means when the "sunset' cycle is done, the moonlight stays on at 1% power until the "sunrise" starts the next day.

If you leave the moonlight at 0, the light turns off at the end of the "sunset", and will turn back on at "sunrise" the next day.  Both the sunrise and sunset will fade over a 15 minute time frame.

I would totally buy this again, it works PERFECT with the stock light.  Seriously.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

The third setting is the "moonlight" which you can have set to 0% (off) or any single percentage.  Mine is set to 1%, which means when the "sunset' cycle is done, the moonlight stays on at 1% power until the "sunrise" starts the next day.

If you leave the moonlight at 0, the light turns off at the end of the "sunset", and will turn back on at "sunrise" the next day.  Both the sunrise and sunset will fade over a 15 minute time frame.

I would totally buy this again, it works PERFECT with the stock light.  Seriously.

Ahh...this was what I was looking for.  I've read that the buttons don't work or it would cycle itself or reset itself.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for you.  I'll try it out.  Thanks!

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
14 hours ago, SXReefer said:

Ahh...this was what I was looking for.  I've read that the buttons don't work or it would cycle itself or reset itself.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for you.  I'll try it out.  Thanks!

I saw those reviews too, apparently Fluval made upgrades / updates to new stock that went out.  The one I ordered from Amazon is the "newer" version the buttons look slightly different than the video.

This was one of the best investments.  The "fade" works great, it slowly brings the lights on and off over a 15 minute period, this has to be better on the livestock rather than a jolt of 100% light on, or 100% light off.

I have also been happy with leaving the moonlight setting to 1%

Once you plug everything in the menu is easy to navigate.  Set the current time first, then go to "output 1" and set the sunrise, sunset, and moonlight.

• Like 1

I saw those reviews too, apparently Fluval made upgrades / updates to new stock that went out.  The one I ordered from Amazon is the "newer" version the buttons look slightly different than the video.

This was one of the best investments.  The "fade" works great, it slowly brings the lights on and off over a 15 minute period, this has to be better on the livestock rather than a jolt of 100% light on, or 100% light off.

I have also been happy with leaving the moonlight setting to 1%

Once you plug everything in the menu is easy to navigate.  Set the current time first, then go to "output 1" and set the sunrise, sunset, and moonlight.

Updated versions?  Sold.  Thanks again!

Just ordered one, than was the main negative to me in buying the Evo....I really wanted a ramping timer light. Have a good light on my planted freshwater that does all that and I really enjoy it. 

Thanks for sharing! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

So the stock light has a power adapter, the power cord has a connector down near the adapter itself (the wall plug).  You disconnect the power cord from he power adapter.  The portion of cord that directly connects to the light (which is the longer cord) plugs directly into the top of of the Fluval timer, the smaller cord leftover which is shorter and connects to the power adapter gets plugged into the bottom of the Fluval timer.  Just make sure you are on the same side of the timer (it has the ability to control two lights).

In a nutshell this Fluval timer works with any tank light that has that basic power cord connector like the Fluval has.  

As far as programming it its super super simple.  You set the time you want the "sunrise" to start, and then you set the time you want the "sunset" to start.  The third setting is the "moonlight" which you can have set to 0% (off) or any single percentage.  Mine is set to 1%, which means when the "sunset' cycle is done, the moonlight stays on at 1% power until the "sunrise" starts the next day.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison...I'm assuming that the moonlight setting is just the white/blue lighting dimmed with the stock lighting? Or is it intelligent enough to only turn the blue LEDs on?

1 minute ago, Strat1127 said:

ThisPlaceIsAPrison...I'm assuming that the moonlight setting is just the white/blue lighting dimmed with the stock lighting? Or is it intelligent enough to only turn the blue LEDs on?

It just dims the blue and white lighting, at least that’s what mine does anyway!

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 1/24/2018 at 2:03 PM, mpugh said:

It just dims the blue and white lighting, at least that’s what mine does anyway!

On 1/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Strat1127 said:

I figured as much...thanks!

NOT true unless the "newer / updated" ones have changed and yours is the older model.  The "moonlight" mode on my Fluval timer switches to blue lights only, and you select the % of blue light.  I keep mine down to 1% when the lights ramp down.  This can be tested by touching the light button manually.  

3 minutes ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

NOT true unless the "newer / updated" ones have changed and yours is the older model.  The "moonlight" mode on my Fluval timer switches to blue lights only, and you select the % of blue light.  I keep mine down to 1% when the lights ramp down.  This can be tested by touching the light button manually.  

mine is the newer model and if you look very closely you can still see the white lights, the moonlight mode turns the white down more than blue. When I test mine on moonlight setting, I have to press the button twice before it turns off. The timer can't switch from full lights to the blue lights only

ThisPlaceIsAPrison
On 1/26/2018 at 8:20 AM, mpugh said:

mine is the newer model and if you look very closely you can still see the white lights, the moonlight mode turns the white down more than blue. When I test mine on moonlight setting, I have to press the button twice before it turns off. The timer can't switch from full lights to the blue lights only

I must be lucky, or the US and UK models are different.  When mine goes to "moonlight" mode the only lights when any power are the three "blue only" lights.

Light Hood.jpg

I must be lucky, or the US and UK models are different.  When mine goes to "moonlight" mode the only lights when any power are the three "blue only" lights.

Light Hood.jpg

You are right, but like you said there must be variations in the UK and US models. At least I hope so and I haven’t got a faulty one!!

• 9 months later...

I know this topic is old but when you set the fluval timer to 1%, only three blue lights stay on. Anything else above that and the white less come on but at low power. The only way to get blues only is to set the intensity to 1%.