Cultivated Reef

Engineer/convict Goby in BC29

FizxVix3n

Hi all, I’ve been doing some reading about the engineer/convict goby and various resources state the minimum tank size is anywhere from 15g to 30g to 45g (ah!). I know they can get to be a foot long (they are so neat!!) and are probably not suited to a Nano tank. However, has anyone had one in their tank? If so, what was your experience? I probably know the answer to getting one (?) but I’m curious if anyone has had luck anyway! Thank you! ~Lindsey

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.

they get huge and dig a lot. Given the small footprint of a BC29, I don’t think it would be an ideal candidate. I’ve never had one myself, but have seen them in a tank as small as a 20 long. I can tell you, every coral close to the sand bed was killed by getting buried. If you’re cool with that, and can keep up with maninance, I think the fish itself would be fine in that size tank. That would probably be the only fish you could keep in there, though. The bio load of a 12” fish would seriously test yours, and the tanks ability to deal with nutrient issues.

Thanks for the welcome! I know he's not an ideal candidate, and for the safety and happiness of the goby I'll probably wait until I have a larger tank. Boo! Hehe, thank you for your input, I appreciate it!