inTank Media Baskets

Is chemi clean supposed to do this?

jesseatam

2 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

When the new tank is set up, if some of this shows up say on the bed or rock area, what’s the plan

I don't think I'm doing a new setup, I would like to do what you recommended but I don't know if it's a feasible thing for me to do at this moment. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to or even want to do.

understand. that is on the larger scope of nano work, side benefit getting to keep fish :)

if you do move a tank, then you can start w clean sand, clean setup and just focus more on the aggressive manual removal if it pops up, it wont take over so quick w some focus on it next round. I bet you w be back. I lost a 4 yr reefbowl I was kicked down, harshly. once ur in the hobby got ya, is matter of time rill re rise again

another offer I believe solidly, solidly in

uv filtration

if you ever go with a larger one, or even this tank, really any tank that precludes deep access due to its size, UV is the most important tool Id own. Given a choice between correct UV and a skimmer, id take UV.

skimmers r nice obviously

UV could have stopped this before it ever began due to unique characters associated with matted invaders. they're always pelagic phased (a portion where the swim through the water, to congregate) and in that, intercept-able

UV wont cure a bryopsis invasion.

When you read online of people with uV getting anchored invasions, they didn't consult the properly sized part above. properly sized is grossly oversized, not ever the right size for the tank per the manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

hey

lets consider that

theres this place on the web I hear, offers 30 mbg for things that didn't wow a customer

you must still manual clean, no getting around that.

But now you put a hedge in favor where one cleaning sure might work

don't think this isn't fixable just wanted to mention.

oversized uV is so strong, so powerful, you might can reverse this off just a 100% water change and total top siphoning of all growth. we could make it where you don't take it apart. not trying to press just reducing options while still presenting what I think will be biologically accurate outcome, for brainstorming ideas. You could also consider conscripting a small human in the age range of 13-16 for the cleaning task work, tell them it will help them win a science fair one day. or pay them meager funds, total brainstorming. I have done these things. she did not win a science fair all truth outed.

childreeflol.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

understand. that is on the larger scope of nano work, side benefit getting to keep fish :)

if you do move a tank, then you can start w clean sand, clean setup and just focus more on the aggressive manual removal if it pops up, it wont take over so quick w some focus on it next round. I bet you w be back. I lost a 4 yr reefbowl I was kicked down, harshly. once ur in the hobby got ya, is matter of time rill re rise again

another offer I believe solidly, solidly in

uv filtration

if you ever go with a larger one, or even this tank, really any tank that precludes deep access due to its size, UV is the most important tool Id own. Given a choice between correct UV and a skimmer, id take UV.

skimmers r nice obviously

UV could have stopped this before it ever began due to unique characters associated with matted invaders. they're always pelagic phased (a portion where the swim through the water, to congregate) and in that, intercept-able

UV wont cure a bryopsis invasion.

When you read online of people with uV getting anchored invasions, they didn't consult the properly sized part above. properly sized is grossly oversized, not ever the right size for the tank per the manufacturer.

15 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

hey

lets consider that

theres this place on the web I hear, offers 30 mbg for things that didn't wow a customer

you must still manual clean, no getting around that.

But now you put a hedge in favor where one cleaning sure might work

don't think this isn't fixable just wanted to mention.

oversized uV is so strong, so powerful, you might can reverse this off just a 100% water change and total top siphoning of all growth. we could make it where you don't take it apart. not trying to press just reducing options while still presenting what I think will be biologically accurate outcome, for brainstorming ideas. You could also consider conscripting a small human in the age range of 13-16 for the cleaning task work, tell them it will help them win a science fair one day. or pay them meager funds, total brainstorming. I have done these things. she did not win a science fair all truth outed

childreeflol.jpg

UV filtration, thats something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll definitely look into that. Cleaning everything out might still be an option I just want to see how things are doing first and see if the WC I did and the carbon I'm running make any positive impact before I decide to go all in and get my hands dirty.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

@brandon429 knows his stuff for sure. Can you buy water at a local fish store? @brandon429, is there a negative effect to using a UV sterilizer. Your little girl is adorable-did she grow up to be a scientist and appreciate ocean life?

I might be able to actually, I'll have to check that out.

Just now, jesseatam said:

I might be able to actually, I'll have to check that out.

Really the sooner the better. The longer your corals are under stress the harder it will be to revive them. I use 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and buy all of my water from LFS

• Thanks 1

aw thank you for seeing my rascal we did have scientific fun I can assure you that. My little scientist just chose to become an English teacher and that = yay. when I was 20 I knew nothing of anything Im so glad she found direction :) 

I believe I over reefed the young lady. she w not be owning anytime soon, she said,-> drums, aquariums, anything remote control, small gas powered devices that hurt when you crash and any sort of waste pellet producing animals. HA that's awesome I told her.

UV has no discernible side effects at all. for niches like pod dosing/phyto sure, but normal reefing no its great.

I would never, ever own any reef larger than I was willing to access all substrates in (rip cleaning) without UV

it can prevent any form of unanchored invasion, when sized and flowed right. Im not saying its required, deft reefers don't need it. I prefer force and no luck reqd. I have used it numbers of times in our big peroxide threads to beat cyano, diatoms and dinos. reliably. We can also see  in this MASSIVE dinos thread right here, UV plays a prominent role for a reason (unscientific collections are bulk, not peer reviewed heh, we review our own peers for their patterns and take from them)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/page-94

In that very picture above, that's a 75 gallon planted tank by her and it had a pond sterilizer meant for ten thousand gallons behind it. that's oversized.

BBA, black beard algae, is the bane of new planted aquariums but it has a pelagic (in circulation phase) too, as that's how it gets from leaf to leaf in the typical invaded freshwater system. UV will intercept and stop it, I did it in that tank. Cyano rarely if ever expresses as red variants in planted tanks, in fact Ive never seen it. They express as BGA, blue greens, and I had a real BGA problem right up until UV time came, then never again. If Id have pulled the UV, I guess it would have come back bc I was cheating clean. I still slept OK :)

I had to pre clean the freshwater system of both types of invaders, prune out the BBA leaves and siphon out the mats, before the UV worked as it only helps for items that pass through water. Any in tank-cleaning work done is a partial recirculator of 'bits' which is why Im always pressing for external work. Those bits are zapped by these cheating wonderful machines. I believe they wouldn't help one bit in a bryopsis infestation though, and the like.

• Like 3