Top Shelf Aquatics

3 month old Duncan suddenly has shortening tentacles

Atarius

Hoping someone might have an idea as to why the tentacles on my Duncan have suddenly started getting shorter over the last few days. Don’t think anything changed other than i’ve been broadcast feeding pure mysis for months (of which the Duncan always got a couple bits), but the last week i’ve been broadcast feeding marine cuisine feed (still mysis in it, but much less compared to other food types). 

Image one shows how it looked when it was new, and it’s looked the same for months just with many more heads then it had originally. Second image shows how it looks now.

thanks in advance! 

7185CF5A-095B-44AE-919D-01865449DCFE.jpeg

ABFEFEC0-8A6C-4C12-9589-ED72CC838905.jpeg

hope this helps:

above all corals you could possibly stock, duncanopsammia are the least reliable indicators of anything based on polyp behavior. judge their health by the other corals in the tank over time, and how they do with the flesh that goes down the skeleton vs whats on the top polyp/tentacle details. they do weird stuff for no reason for 100% sure.

if you got a colony that had coral flesh covering way down on the skeleton, and its creeping up over time only to allow polyps with no more lower flesh, then feed that Seymour much better and reverse that condition.

even after typing this, mine would close up for a month sometimes and I was just sure it was on the way out, not. it got so big I had to frag it out. duncans causing concern regarding polyp behavior is the same false alarming that goes on when we see a molt and am darn sure, this time, we lost the little crab :) 

then he pops out six months later. after you've already taken the tank apart and declared him for sure dead, twice. that part of reefing is funny

if a Duncan ever has a brown jelly invasion that's obvious and needs targeting cure work

• Like 1

Thanks both for the response. I’ll just leave it for a while and see what happens!!

34 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

hope this helps:

above all corals you could possibly stock, duncanopsammia are the least reliable indicators of anything based on polyp behavior. judge their health by the other corals in the tank over time, and how they do with the flesh that goes down the skeleton vs whats on the top polyp/tentacle details. they do weird stuff for no reason for 100% sure.

if you got a colony that had coral flesh covering way down on the skeleton, and its creeping up over time only to allow polyps with no more lower flesh, then feed that Seymour much better and reverse that condition.

even after typing this, mine would close up for a month sometimes and I was just sure it was on the way out, not. it got so big I had to frag it out. duncans causing concern regarding polyp behavior is the same false alarming that goes on when we see a molt and am darn sure, this time, we lost the little crab :) 

then he pops out six months later. after you've already taken the tank apart and declared him for sure dead, twice. that part of reefing is funny

if a Duncan ever has a brown jelly invasion that's obvious and needs targeting cure work

22 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

My Duncan closed up for the entire summer and just recently started to grow out. Absolutely no idea.