inTank Media Baskets

CLOWNFISH FIGHTING PLS HELP

Kasie02

Please help I have a 30 gallon reef tank with 8 clownfish they are all pairs an two damsels idk if that to much fish but the clownfish do have there anemone that they love, but about two or three of the clownfishes are picking on the other little ones, they would chase them all around an nip at them. There always in a corner. Pls help idk if I should move the ones that are fighting into my 180 gallon tank but with no anenome....

BustytheSnowMaam

Move them.  In the wild, they live in groups of 2 or 3 (one is female, the others male or undetermined).  I'm assuming you're talking about oscellaris clowns.  In the 180 they can get away from each other, and they don't need an anemone to be happy.

• Like 1

Yeah 8 clownfish in a 30 gallon is a joke. Or even in a 180.... MAYBE you could have 4 total.  Return 4-6 of them if you don’t want to be directly responsible for their deaths ??

19 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah 8 clownfish in a 30 gallon is a joke. Or even in a 180.... MAYBE you could have 4 total.  Return 4-6 of them if you don’t want to be directly responsible for their deaths ??

Ok thank you so much I’ll try to take 4 of them out an out then in my 180 then by there anemone for them

25 minutes ago, tashayar said:

Move them.  In the wild, they live in groups of 2 or 3 (one is female, the others male or undetermined).  I'm assuming you're talking about oscellaris clowns.  In the 180 they can get away from each other, and they don't need an anemone to be happy.

Ok thank you so much I’m going to try to move about 4 of them into my 180 an leave 4 or maybe 3 in my 30 gallon with there anemone 

33 minutes ago, Kasie02 said:

Ok thank you so much I’m going to try to move about 4 of them into my 180 an leave 4 or maybe 3 in my 30 gallon with there anemone 

4 in a 30 will kill each other. Two maximum in that size. Have a breeder box you can temporarily separate them in before you return some? 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

4 in a 30 will kill each other. Two maximum in that size. Have a breeder box you can temporarily separate them in before you return some? 

Yes I do I’ll do that, thank you 

In the wild there are many males to 1 female but that's in the ocean.

Keeping clown harems in the tank peacefully requires a large set up, all the clowns from the same clutch, 1 female and the rest males.

Unfortunately a 30g is enough for 2 clowns