Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rimless BC29 Questions

TheKMFB

Has anyone gone rimless on the Bio Cube 29 and had any issues? I just want to make sure I don't come home to a mess and insurance claim one day if I decide to take the top rim off of my Bio Cube. TIA

Yea, I got it done over the weekend. Notice there are some flaws in the glass at the corners. Almost looks like fisheyes in paint. But still a better overall look, and doubt they will be that noticeable once filled.

It wasn't bad to do. My oceanic bio cube did not have nearly as much silicone as what I have seen other have. I took a small hack saw blade and made my cuts at the back chamber. Then a sharp razor on inside/outside of the trim all the way around. Took some high test strength fishing line and got it under the trim all the way and just used a sawing motion with the string all the way around the trim and it came off in one piece.  I went through a few razors getting all the silicone off of the glass, but it came out good

• 4 months later...

I just made mine rimless too. I used a Dremel to cut the back and the corners, then I just lifted up the rim, came right off. The biocube I have is the old oceanic so it was easier to take it off. I then used razor blades to remove the excess silicone, then any remaining silicone left, I had a buffer attachment on my Dremel that cleaned it right up.