Pod Your Reef

8G Bio Reef

MortalWombat

MortalWombat

Welcome! This is my "8 gallon" (probably closer to 5) softy reef. It's been running since about August I think. The goal was low-maintenance, no testing, just the occasional WC and salinity check. 

38604994055_51f3922c05_z.jpg

It has a Nanobox fixture, an ATO and a cheap-o airstone skimmer (for aeration, not intended to control nutrients). I keep a small bag with some AC that I change out every month or two. I do water changes (~1 gallon) once or twice per month, using IO salt. 

27724301979_75e8b4e86a_z.jpg

The focus of the tank is the bubbletip nem, but it features a variety of mushrooms, some zoas, a ribbon gorg and a lobophytum. The damsel is a recent addition from my now-defunct frag tank, he has been happily gorging himself on all the pods. There is also a brittle star and a bunch of cerith snails. 

27724310499_ddb858166d_z.jpg

That's pretty much it, happy reefing! 

• Like 6
MortalWombat
5 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Neat little tank!

You should get a porcelain crab or Pederson's shrimp for the anemone to host!

Yes indeed! I might just do that today.

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Everything seems to be thriving - looks great!

Thanks! 

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Oh my god!!! you are running a nuvo 8!!! I am so fond of that tank. Following.

23 hours ago, MortalWombat said:

39541442721_f42720f9cc_z.jpg

Awesome choice. Have you thought about getting a pair?

• Like 2
MortalWombat
34 minutes ago, Polarcollision said:

Oh my god!!! you are running a nuvo 8!!! I am so fond of that tank. Following.

Awesome choice. Have you thought about getting a pair?

Thanks for following! I've been a fan of your builds for years! I hadn't thought about getting a pair (but now I am), do they reproduce in captivity or do a special friendship dance or something? This is my first time keeping a pom pom crab and I really don't know much about them. 

Polarcollision
33 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

Thanks for following! I've been a fan of your builds for years! I hadn't thought about getting a pair (but now I am), do they reproduce in captivity or do a special friendship dance or something? This is my first time keeping a pom pom crab and I really don't know much about them. 

We can be mutual fans then. :-) Yeah, I got a male and female for my 8 gallon and they carried eggs at least once a month or more. They're in the 24 g now that I gave the Nuvo 8 away, so I see them less but I've seen her with eggs in the 24 g too. You can tell male and female by shape. It's harder to tell in pom poms, so I told the LFS what I wanted to do and they pulled all the crabs so I could check. It was really very similar on all of them. My female has richer/more salmon coloring, but that could also just be an individual thing. I ended up buying 2 that had different looking under-shells. There's a fancy word for it, but I can't remember it right now.

image.png.a8bc0f650e66434c97eb108b0eab177b.png

• Like 2

Crab larvae are planktonic, so you won't end up with extra live crabs in your tank.  But having a pair lets them engage in their natural pairing behavior, and will produce free fish/coral food.

• Like 1
Polarcollision
23 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

Nice! Is carapace the word you were thinking of earlier?

Yeah, that one came to mind, but google said it's the top part of their shells. If you do try to find the gender of pompoms there's a little square above and a line just below. Trying to remember back that far, but I think the difference in my two is the length of the line and the distance from the little square.

• Like 1

Cool little freshwater tank. Do you have any shrimp or fish in there?

That Pom Pom crab is a good call! I just picked one up myself.

Btw, every time I see your username I start singing the Mortal Kombat song in my head with Mortal Wombat in it's place. Thank you for that :lol:  MORTAL WOMBAT!! Dundundundun

• Like 1

I have a nuvo 8 too and always wanted a bubbletip in it. I was scared away by too many people though since it’s “too small.’’ Glad you’re having success with it though! I might have to try this summer after I move but my tank might be too full of other corals. My next purchases are gonna be some poms too. Inverts are great in such tiny tanks :)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Cool little freshwater tank. Do you have any shrimp or fish in there?

That Pom Pom crab is a good call! I just picked one up myself.

Btw, every time I see your username I start singing the Mortal Kombat song in my head with Mortal Wombat in it's place. Thank you for that :lol:  MORTAL WOMBAT!! Dundundundun

Haha, FINISH HIM! I have some little dwarf shrimp that are hybrids of a cherry and amano shrimp I put in there years ago. I'm not sure what generation I'm on since the originals died years ago. They stay tiny and only grow to be about 1/2" max, and hardly any of them are reddish. I'll try to get a video of them uploaded soon. I did have some neon tetras in here a while back, but they invariably found their way through the overflow into the back of the tank. 

4 minutes ago, Hobbs said:

I have a nuvo 8 too and always wanted a bubbletip in it. I was scared away by too many people though since it’s “too small.’’ Glad you’re having success with it though! I might have to try this summer after I move but my tank might be too full of other corals. My next purchases are gonna be some poms too. Inverts are great in such tiny tanks :)

My approach with this tank is that the nem is king, if it wants to move and sting something to death that is fine -they are just cheap-o mushrooms and a finger leather anyways. I would be upset if it nuked the gorg however... I'm planning to keep adding inverts to this tank little-by-little. Sexy shrimp, porcelain crabs etc. 

• 1 month later...

So I hadn't seen the pom pom since around the time I added him to the tank. I had given it up for dead, but I saw him yesterday morning before the lights came on. His anemones have grown noticeably and he appears to be doing well living in the tunnel he excavated under the rock. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
MortalWombat

41059796401_092ac3c51d_z.jpg

40167011425_93f2f57ff8_z.jpg

26189482837_89ba5bb214_z.jpg

The tank doesn't look nearly as windexy blue in person,my iphone makes it look that way. The gorg was getting tickled by the nem so it got moved to my 65 gallon tank where it is thriving.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...