Coral Vue Hydros

? about Aquatic Life RO/DI

NanoRox

I installed the above and the instructions state to run 30 gallons through the unit before using it.  It is producing 1 gallon every 25 minutes so basically 2 gallons an hour.  Do I really have to run this thing for 15 hours before I can use it?  I have run ~10 gallons through it so far. 

1 hour ago, Duane Clark said:

I installed the above and the instructions state to run 30 gallons through the unit before using it.  It is producing 1 gallon every 25 minutes so basically 2 gallons an hour.  Do I really have to run this thing for 15 hours before I can use it?  I have run ~10 gallons through it so far. 

Do you have a TDS Meter? 

14 minutes ago, tk3445 said:

30 gallons seems a bit excessive unless they are talking waste water included cause 3-4 gallons of waste water is produced for every 1 gallon of pure water.

the way it reads indicates fill water due to some sort of preservative in one of the canisters 

All TFC RO membranes are covered with a preservative(probably a type of oily substance)  to prevent the material from drying out when stored dry. 

most manufacturers I have come across say to run the first 1-2 hours of water down the drain or 10 gallons. This is to wash away the preservative and rehydrate the membrane.

I don't have experience with aquatic life products. That's why I am only able to say it seems excessive. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tk3445 said:

I don't have experience with aquatic life products. That's why I am only able to say it seems excessive. 

yeah...I understand.  appreciate the info.  I agree with you.  Their customer support does not open until 10 am Pacific so I will call them when they open.  I have run 15 gallons of clean water through it so far.