Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Flow for a Pico

weston.bechtold

weston.bechtold

Hello all!  I feel that I need more flow in my Fluval spec 3 2.6 gallon pico reef.  It is a mixed reef with a monti cap some torches GSP zoanthids and candy cane.  I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a good powerhead that will be enough flow but not blow my corals off the rock and start a sand storm.  I want something that has some controllability in order to create a sloshing or standing wave.  Price is of no concern.  Thankyou!

12 hours ago, weston.bechtold said:

Hello all!  I feel that I need more flow in my Fluval spec 3 2.6 gallon pico reef.  It is a mixed reef with a monti cap some torches GSP zoanthids and candy cane.  I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a good powerhead that will be enough flow but not blow my corals off the rock and start a sand storm.  I want something that has some controllability in order to create a sloshing or standing wave.  Price is of no concern.  Thankyou!

You'll have a hard time finding a pump with that kind of controllability that will fit in that size pico. Maybe a jebao or aqamai? Not sure how much controllability they have or whether they will fit in that size tank though. I think an mp10 would likely be way too big even if you could dial down the flow adequately.

I have an jebao sw2 nano and it will be too strong for a Pico. In a 10g on the lowest setting it was too much with the return pump.

I also have an Aqamai, the lowest gph is 370.

I think in a 2.6g, it will be too much.

The best pump you could add would be the hydor Pico which is adjustable, upgrade the return pump to a stronger gph, or add an air stone for added flow.

I have the Pico in my 1g jar and I have adjusted the flow to 50 got and added a nozzle and it's still a lot of flow.