ReefCleaners.org

Noobie Aquascape - Any feedback is appreciated

Mozby's Reef

Mozby's Reef

Hi All,

Total noob here. Tank isn't even running yet. The tank is a Nuvo Fusion 20g. I bought a mix of pukani and fiji dry rock and tried my hand at aquascaping based on ideas I've seen. Basically the effects I wanted were shelf, cave, tunnel. Also I was trying to keep in mind surface area for coral placement. This is what I came up with.... only ended up using 8lbs out of the 14lbs I bought. Should I have used more rock? Pls let me know your thoughts and opinions. Any feedback would be helpful, thanks!

Aquascape1.JPG

Aquascape2.JPG

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Mozby's Reef!

I would try to use more rock, have you fiddled with it any more this week? The arch on the right is slick, but the spire on the left is kind of uninspiring. I think maybe because it's about the same height as the arch, there should be more visual differentiation in height between the two elements.

Mozby's Reef
On 1/6/2018 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Marks said:

I would try to use more rock, have you fiddled with it any more this week? The arch on the right is slick, but the spire on the left is kind of uninspiring. I think maybe because it's about the same height as the arch, there should be more visual differentiation in height between the two elements.

That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.... thank you! I've gotten tired of messing around with it and hence my judgement must've lapsed. The rocks are already in the curing bin but there's not reason why I can't tinker with or make adjustments to it other than dealing with the hassle of wet aquascaping and also increasing my curing time. I will take your feedback into consideration and try to re-work this. Thanks!

• Like 1
Mozby's Reef
On 1/6/2018 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Would you recommend the spire be taller or shorter? Also would additional rock that joins up the 2 pieces make it better?

Christopher Marks

Adding to the spire might be nice, although if it gets too tall it may be difficult to mount much coral on it. I think you could get one more rock under there so the spire is just a little taller. If that takes it too close to the water line, then perhaps shorter is the way to go with the spire, so the arch becomes the main focal point? Fortunately there's no right or wrong way, it just takes some tinkering until it feels good :D 

• Like 1
Mozby's Reef

How does it looks now? I've added a piece under it like you suggested. It now stands at about 10" tall, while the arch is 7.5". I've also put the spire in the tank so you can see how high up it sits. The tank's height is 13" and I figure water would be up to 12". Cutting it too close?

tallerspire1.JPG

tallerspire2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...