Pod Your Reef

ORA blue hypnea macro

Andreww

So where exactly can I buy this? Do I just tell my LFS to order some for me or is there a place online that sells this? liveaquaria is out of stock at the moment.

Reason I want to try it because its supposed to like high light. My grow light is too strong for the chaeto and its bleaching all over the place. Cant really raise the light nor dim the intensity...was looking into a different macro and this seems like it fits the bill. 

Let me know if the LFS would be the best option. Thanks

MainelyReefer

Only one LFS in my area has access(or is willing to) to order ORA products, but I would assume the same issue with it being in stock at ORA would arise.  Perhaps try adding a light diffuser to underneath the grow light, any clear mesh or screen would work at reducing the light levels. Perhaps a hobbyist has some blue hypnea available, check the for sale forums too or make a WTB post.

I believe Gulf Coast Ecosystems carries blue hypnea if it is just the macro and not the ORA name you're looking for.  www.live-plants.com.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Andreww said:

I do not care for ORA. Is there a difference ?

Not sure what you mean, ORA is just a company that aquacultures many things including this macro, I believe GCE collects it wild.  GCE is a good company with generous portion sizes.

What I meant to say : 

Is there’s any difference between aquacultured macro vs wild one because one is cultivated under artificial lights and the other from the ocean. Like aquacultured corals tend to be hardier than wild ones, I was wondering if that’s the case with the macro algae as well...

12 hours ago, Andreww said:

What I meant to say : 

Is there’s any difference between aquacultured macro vs wild one because one is cultivated under artificial lights and the other from the ocean. Like aquacultured corals tend to be hardier than wild ones, I was wondering if that’s the case with the macro algae as well...

Oh, I have no idea. I haven't noticed a difference, really, though most of my macros have been cultured. Pico tanks aren't the best for ordering from GCE due to the portion sizes lol.