Pod Your Reef

RealReefer

On 1/23/2018 at 11:09 PM, Big E reef said:

Man, you take diy to the next level! Can't wait to see what you make the coral out of?

On 1/24/2018 at 1:57 AM, ReefingRelapse said:

This is impressive AF. :eek:

On 1/24/2018 at 2:31 AM, bbetta said:

This is absolutely amazing! I love everything about your project. Even your rock scape is stunning.

Can’t wait to see the progress.

What are your Stocking plans? 

:lol: thanks guys your comments are so positive. It puts a smile on my face! Still unsure about the stocking plans, but i'm working on it . Definitely looking at some SPS frags. Also looking at 1 or 2 fish at most. Something really small. Clown Gobies come to mind.  

Week 4 and waiting patiently. Light cycle started on week 3. 8 Hours a day on 100% intensity. Diatoms appeared on the rock and sand bed. It's just a matter of time. Still in 3 worlds about what i want to run in this tank. SPS only. SPS and LPS or a complete mix with some softies. At this stage i'm leaning towards a SPS & LPS reef.

Some pics to keep this thread alive :swim:

2018_18.jpg

Macro shot of the aragonite

2018_19.jpg

2018_20.jpg

Have an AWESOME week!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess its time for an updated. :m38:

Week 8 is in full swing. Tank is looking good and i am happy with the results so far. Running seachem vibrant salt at the moment. Will be changing salts once this batch is finished. Not too happy with how it mixes. Cloudy even if you add salt bit by bit and giving it a chance to mix first. The mixing pump and heater are white after each mix. Haven't decided on a new salt yet.

Made quite a bit of progress on the housing for the ATO unit and fan contoller. Also added my 1st coral frags. No fish at the moment :swim:

Fan controller is up and running. Still need to finish the dosing head and float switch wiring. Temp controller is working really good. Temperature between 25.7-26.3 deg. Most off the time constant on 26. Set temp is 26 and the fan kicks in on 26.3 deg. Takes about 5 mins to cool back down. Evaporation is minimal.

The mini temp controller. It's a 12v controller with 12v output. You can also wire in a lower volt adapter to the output if you want the fan to run at a lower voltage.

201802_01.jpg

Perpex part received from laser cutting. Some pics off the build progress and a final one on the tank. I'll post some pics on the frags a bit later. Hope you enjoy. Have a GR8 week!

201802_02.jpg

201802_03.jpg

201802_04.jpg

201802_05.jpg

201802_06.jpg

201802_07.jpg

Perspex stand offs for the top lid

201802_08.jpg

201802_09.jpg

201802_10.jpg

201802_11.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update. Let's put the build on the sideline for a minute. I have added a few frags to the tank. Still struggling with cloudy water. :confused: Corals settled better now that i have added the wax paper over the leds. Happy with that for now!

Here some pics of my first frag batch. I used buttons to mount the frags. They are small and they a natural color that blends well with the rock. I didn't want to mount the frags directly to the LR. If growth is slow i can easily move it without breaking the physical coral and putting stress on it. If its totally encrusted and grown over the LR there is no need to move it. It means it's in a happy place.

201802_13.jpg

So this is my first batch of frags. an unknown acropora? green bali slimer, gsp, green branching montipora, green pocci, pink pocci. I mounted the GSP on a piece of acrylic disc. Later found that its way to light and just flies over the sandbed like a hovercraft when the GSP opens up.

201802_14.jpg

not long after that this little beauty arrived. Yellow / Purple Turbinaria

201802_16.jpg

and not long after that this good looking favites

201802_17.jpg

and not too long after that this trio. Purple digitata, yellow acropora and acropora secale

201802_18.jpg

201802_19.jpg

and not long after that....just kidding :m16:

Some closeups and FTS.

201802_20.jpg

201802_21.jpg

201802_22.jpg

201802_23.jpg

I added an extra flow pump just to make the acros happy. not the best looking piece of equipment but it works for now. Already ordered 3x 12v dc pumps that i'll be adding for flow. 

Some more pics

201802_25.jpg

ID on this one?

201802_26.jpg

Pipe organ already showing good growth!

201802_27.jpg

Bali slimer and secale

201802_28.jpg

201802_24.jpg

Water is really cloudy. I already added some carbon. Even ran some filter wool. Thought it could be a bacterial bloom so i stopped dosing seachem stability. Still no change. Looking forward to a salt change.

Thanks for following and have a GR8 week!