Pod Your Reef

Where to place HOB skimmer on 28G Nano-Cube?

SaltySquid

So, I want to add the Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer to my 28G Nano-Cube but I cannot figure out how I can install this/where since I don't have a traditional sump and the lid fully encloses the top of the tank.  Has anyone installed one of these on the "sump" in the back or have any suggestions, plus will the tubes fit into the 2" space available in the back.  It makes since to me to put it where the water overflows from the tank, but that is where my filters are located.  Does it matter if the skimmer intake is placed after the filters?

Picture of the "sump" I'm working with ~2" from tank to back wall, and only 3 spots that maintain a constant water height, one being the overflow/filter area.

Uploaded Images

•  
    •  

Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB Protein SkimmerPreview attachment 20171231_001603.jpg

If you can't re-arrange sump #2 to make it fit, you might want to arrange for a different skimmer. A lot of people are favoring the Tunze 9004, but again you'll need to remove the media tray/basket from sump #2 to make it fit. Check youtube for videos and mods for your model AIO tank and see what's working for other people.

The beauty of a HOB skimmer is that it doesn't care about water levels. So long as the intake tube is below the water line it will stay primed and running as it should without any adjustments needed.

Thanks both of you!  I really like everything I've read about the reef octopus (plus it's the only way I can say I own an Octopus) so I'll definitely research a little more into the install for this.  Hopefully someone on here has had luck with this skimmer and a similar tank they can provide input on.

Does it matter if the intake or output nozzles are placed after my water goes through my filter media?

Traditionally it goes skimmer media return in AIO tanks. However if you have to put your skimmer after the media people do that too. I did that on my BioCube before I got an HOB. Sometimes necessity / space dictates where the skimmer goes in those chambers.

Well I am disappointed to say that this HOB does NOT work with the JBJ 28G Nano-Cube with out doing some serious modifications.  The pump is to large and will not fit into any of the compartments due to the louvers.

So does anyone know of a good skimmer I can get for this tank instead? 

Wait - So this IS the one you have pictured above, correct? It's the HOB? You say the pump won't fit in the chambers - do NOT put the pump inside the water!! It's HOB. The TUBES go in the water. One sucks up, one dumps out the water. the skimmer doesn't go inside the tank. I'm a little confused at how tubes (the only part that should be in the water) don't fit in the tank.