SaltCritters.com

Stocking for 8.5 gallon bowfront

ClownGobie

I am setting up a 8.5 gallon bowfront. It will have a sump/refugium and i will run chemipure blue, plus live sand and live rock for filtration. I am starting to think about livestock. I definitely want a yasha goby paired with a pistol shrimp, and want to get a yellow clown goby and a tailspot blenny, or just one if thats too much. Thoughts? 

You could maybe do all three if you take it slow, also depends on how big your sump is going to be. I'd mainly be worried about territory issues between the blenny and the clown goby though since they're both perching fish.

Thanks! 

If i take it slow and add them about a month apart, could i do the YCG and the yasha/pistol shrimp? If so which should be added first? The sump is going to be 10 gallons. 

Having the sump will help with water quality and stability, but not how many fish should be in the display.  You still have less than 10 gallons.  But having the sump you can add them at the same time.  

That aside, you can find a paired Goby and shrimp.  It may take some time.  They normally go fast.  

• Like 1

If you have a good LFS, I prefer to support them.  But that is just my opinion.  Even if they don't have something, they can special order it for you.  We have an entire thread on LFS somewhere around here...

I kept a Tasha goby with a randalls pistol shrimp. I had a sand bottom and the shrimp managed to burrow under the live rock. Any cave ins and they just constantly fix it up. It could and would move pieces up to 1/4 inch with no effort. You may not want any corals on your sand bed but anywhere an inch or so above should be ok. I think a YCG would be higher up in the live rock. If it were my tank I would look for a barnacle Benny... small and interesting also less bioload than the tail  spot Blenny. The sand is just crushed coral, I think the brand may mean some come wet with bacteria to help your cycle.

I have tsb and clown goby in a 5.5

They get along well but if you can only add one, get the blenny. 

The blenny is more active and has lots of character.

My clown goby hides 95% of the time in the rocks and it's not due to the blenny.