Coral Vue Hydros

pumps and flow

NanoRox

Hi guys. Hoping you can provide me some direction. I have a 14g nano with a total of two pumps...the return pump cobalt mj900 and a Current USA 6000 eFlux wave kit (660 gph max). I have the wave maker set to pulse and I am getting some coral movement but when I watch videos of larger tanks there is a much more flow and back and forth motion. I have my eflux pump on the left side pointing across the tank (so water flow bounces back). My total turnover is a little over 40x/hour so that's great (assuming my flow is what is actually reported on the product boxes)...probably a little less though...my wave maker pump is not turned all the way up.  Issue is I have some dead spots I just cant reach. Anyway, I am considering getting another pump so I can lower the flow of both but have alternate flow patterns across the tank. does that sound ok to you guys or just overkill?

Probably overkill. First, your pumps flow are a dry rating, meaning they test those pump speeds when the pumps are brand new without any water. Figure on your actual pump speed being about 15-30% lower than the package rating.  If you want more flow out of the wave maker pump, turn it up. If it's a new tank, consider re-arranging the rock work so that you have better flow. A popular design is to create an island in the center of the tank so that your flow can be directed 360 degrees around the center island, eliminating a lot of dead spots. Having a lot of rock piled up at the back wall of the tank is asking for dead spots.  If your tank is over crowded with base rock, consider how you can remove some of the rubble. For example, our 32g. cube has just four rocks in it. I've seen so many tanks that are crammed full of base rock when they don't need to be. Cross flow is pretty easy to create by aiming the flow of your pumps at alternating levels. Overlap the flow a little bit from alternate directions to create more turbid conditions.

• Thanks 1

I went ahead and lowered the wave pump by about an inch so it hits the rock a bit more. It's on the opposite side of the return.   The dead spot in question seems to be receiving more flow now.  I am probably being too anal in wanting the "perfect" motion.  I cant seem to stop tweaking it. 

I went ahead and lowered the wave pump by about an inch so it hits the rock a bit more. It's on the opposite side of the return.   The dead spot in question seems to be receiving more flow now.  I am probably being too anal in wanting the "perfect" motion.  I cant seem to stop tweaking it. 

For decades, reef tanks survived without wave makers. :) In my biocube, I have the sump return pump blasting straight out at the front curved glass. On the opposite side, I have a 600 gph aqueon pump blasting water out to the curved front glass but at a different level. The flow is circular, blowing around my rock island. In places, the streams cross creating cross currents. I have sections of the island in high flow and sections in low flow, which is perfect because it's a mixed reef tank. You just have to play with it until you get it the way you want it for your specific coral's needs.

Just now, OPtasia said:

For decades, reef tanks survived without wave makers. :) In my biocube, I have the sump return pump blasting straight out at the front curved glass. On the opposite side, I have a 600 gph aqueon pump blasting water out to the curved front glass but at a different level. The flow is circular, blowing around my rock island. In places, the streams cross creating cross currents. I have sections of the island in high flow and sections in low flow, which is perfect because it's a mixed reef tank. You just have to play with it until you get it the way you want it for your specific coral's needs.

The corals are happy so cant complain.  As I add more I know I may need to make changes  I would love to get a Seriatopora in the future so will revisit then.  Thank for all your help.  I am stepping away from looking at another pump.  

Bird's nest is a great, very forgiving, SPS coral. Pocillopora is likewise a great choice for SPS. I put a small frag of pink pocillopora with sky blue polyps directly underneath my lights dead center about two weeks ago. It's loving life in that spot. 

Monti is okay. Most varieties from deeper waters do well (really almost too well) in a reef tank. My Wife and I debated putting encrusting sunset monti in our tank but opted for a frag of Tangerine Juice Leptoseris instead. Leptos really hold their color well no matter where you put them in the tank.

We have a reefer friend that has some purple and green chalice frags he wants us to adopt attached to an old mag float. I'm debating attaching it to the back wall of our biocube in the rear upper corner. Someplace that it can grow out where it: A) won't come into close contact with another coral (chalice likes to fight), B ) won't shade out anything beneath it as it grows out and C) provides a more interesting look to the back wall without blocking any of the sump overflows.

Birds nests are hit and miss. Some as sensitive as Acros. Some are pretty resilient .

As for flow, need to hit the coral from multiple  points not just one side...unless you have a gyre pump, even that works best in pairs.

Im debating on a second MP-10 for my 18gallon...just because it’s better to have medium flow from multiple directions than strong flow from one point.

On My 24” long tank it’s all good in the hood on half the tank but the other half is way too turbulent blowing corals to one side. If I was to add another pump on the other end slightly offset, the flow currents would intersect and I’d also have less dead spots . 

• 2 weeks later...