Innovative Marine Aquariums

6” Maxima

Andreww

Hey guys, I have a 6” blue maxima on hold for the next 24 hours...trying to figure out where to put it...

I have a spot on the rocks but would prefer the sand...now I know they love the rocks but what Im thinking is put it on the sand with a rock under it to attach to. My lighting is AI Hydra 26HD...tank is 14” high with the light mounted 12” above the tank. 

I don’t have a PAR meter but light is at 60% now on all blues/violet/UV, with a diffuser on top so maybe 50% output total.

Opinions on placement? Ofcourse sand would be best for viewing but gotta consider the health of the animal first. 

Here’s her:) I’m concerned on 2”strip of mantle edge is a bit yellowish. What could that be ? Normal or having some type of parasite? Not really visible in this photo unless you zoom in (top part).

4EF9B7DA-53C6-4132-B694-4B715CC468D4.jpeg

It's probably normal but without a good close look at it, it's hard to tell. Tridacnid clams need a fully mature tank. If your tank isn't at least a year old, I wouldn't suggest it. They really do best in a tank with a lot of flora and fauna well established in the water column and rock steady numbers.

If all of that is a go, the next thing i'd look at is the health of the clam. You seem to have a doubt based on a yellow section of the clam. Sometimes it's normal, sometimes not.  I'd go with your gut. If it doesn't look perfectly healthy to you, why risk the money? There are more clams out there. 

Beyond that, have a look at the lighting at the LFS. Is it more similar or dis-similar to your own tank's lights? Brighter? Darker? Different color spectrum or the same? How about intensity? There's a major difference between HO's, VHO's, LED's and a metal halide. Try to find a clam that's being cared for under similar lights on your tank and consider placement in your tank to best suit it's previous light setup.

I'd try acclimating the clam on the substrate if you have a substrate. Byssal glands will only be able to attach to sand grains if it's on the substrate. I've also seen people use a ring of PVC pipe to help lift the clam up off the substrate a bit so the clam doesn't partially bury itself. Anyway, if you put the clam on a rock and it attaches via byssal threads, then winds up unhappy in that location for whatever reason, it's a lot harder to detach it without hurting it.

Thanks for your reply. I was always under the impression the clams needed a solid piece of rock to attach their byssal threads to, hence the rock that can be moved with the clam and not substrate. 

This particular LFS sells only corals and some salt but that’s it, the clam is under Radions mounted about 3 ft high from what I’ve quickly seen at first glance....all their tanks are shallow 7”-ish tall frag display tanks. 

You were asking about my tank...it’s over 2 years old .

If I was to start it on sand I guess it’s gonna get more light than what it is getting at the LFS. 

Tried waving my hand over it to see how it reacts, it reacts although not as dramatically as I’ve seen others do it . 

I shall stop by later today to inspect it again and make a decision ...

Yep. That's about all you can do considering. I'm glad it's a mature tank. Try to match the light levels and intensity of the LFS's light setup if you can. If not, err or the side of too little light vs. too much. If you have any qualms at all about the health of the clam, pass on it. 

You are correct, they do just fine and love to be nestled in rock work, but avoid putting it on a rock that's difficult to move until you know the clam is doing okay. Cutting the byssal fibers puts a ton of stress on the clam. 

So the clam looks good in terms of health and coloration. I still have not picked it up yet since Im debating where to put it. I’ll let it stay there until after New Years, the moment I bring it home I wanna make sure it goes in the perfect spot.

I have space on the sand, but would really like it somewhere half way on the rocks .

Space is limited so I kept reading on where people have put their maximas , and I found at least two guys mounting them on the Monti caps. Coral died right under the clam but the rest of the coral that’s getting light is good to go and the clam attached to the coral and the red cap and blue clam color combo is amazing....the Cap in the picture is green but you get the idea.

Opinions? 

8A4110A1-B3B5-475A-8098-BB4F72B3673D.jpeg

If you’ve got a big enough cap, go for it. As for the sand bed, I wouldn’t put it there without something under it. 

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Clam-Cradle 

Something like that works, or you can make your own., it doesn’t need to be a rock. I’ve seen more than a few attach themselves right to the glass under the sand.

At 6”, it may not attach to anything, though. I’ve never bought a 6” clam, however, the big sand dwellers, like gigas, or squamossas don’t attach to anything once they’ve put on enough size. Maybe maximas don’t either.