Conner smith

Csreef's 20 gallon long nano reef build

Conner smith

My 20 gallon nano reef!!! Check it out!!!!! Please and thank you!:) I will be doing updates on this tank as well as product reviews, showing some coral I pick up along the way of building this tank fully, and also answering questions if I could! so stay tuned for more...:rolleyes:

Big E reef

Gorgeous tank, love your scape

Conner smith
1 minute ago, Big E reef said:

Gorgeous tank, love your scape

Awesome thank you! Just set it up a week or 2 ago, originally had it in a 10 but this hobby you always wanna go bigger and bigger with the tanks! ;)

Andreww

Looks pretty. I'm gonna say a few things though starting with the clam placement. It looks pretty unhappy and if you wanna keep it long term (if it will survive) you need to move it UP on the rocks..looks like a maxima, a small one at that.

Secondly, looks like you dont have a skimmer or sump correct? That many fish with just a HOB filter will be tough, not to mention the dirty water will irritate the clam contributing to even further stress and finally death.

If you wanna keep the clam please get a HOB skimmer and add another AI Prime or move it up on the rocks right under the light.

Sorry if I sound like a downer, its just the way things are ...

BTW that fire fish needs some serious feeding...that sunken belly is not a good sign.

Conner smith
6 minutes ago, Andreww said:

Looks pretty. I'm gonna say a few things though starting with the clam placement. It looks pretty unhappy and if you wanna keep it long term (if it will survive) you need to move it UP on the rocks..looks like a maxima, a small one at that.

Secondly, looks like you dont have a skimmer or sump correct? That many fish with just a HOB filter will be tough, not to mention the dirty water will irritate the clam contributing to even further stress and finally death.

If you wanna keep the clam please get a HOB skimmer and add another AI Prime or move it up on the rocks right under the light.

Sorry if I sound like a downer, its just the way things are ...

BTW that fire fish needs some serious feeding...that sunken belly is not a good sign.

You’re not complaining I understand! The hobby is all about discussion and helping each other out, I have it low cause I’m acclimating everything to my new lighting setup. I have a hang on filter for now but I’m gonna be doing a sump out of my old 10 gallon. Also buying a skimmer. I just wanna save that stuff for some content I can make some videos out of!! Thank you though for your advice

Andreww

You're off to a good start then. I would still move the clam very high up on the rocks as soon as possible. In my experience with blue maximas they need to be positioned in a high light (SPS 250-350 PAR) and moderate flow and let them attach and be done with it. I would encourage you to purchase one of those clam cradles like this :https://reefbuilders.com/2013/05/01/thrive-clam-kit-bag-tlc-tridacna-clams/#

If yours is attached now then thats gonna be a problem. Ive tried to move mine in an effort to give it more light (that was long ago when I had a weak LED light) and I tore the byssal strands that the clam uses to attach to the rock...you can imagine that it died shortly after.

A cradle like the one I linked to, lets the clam attach to that then you can move it wherever you like.

Good luck!

EDIT: if you dont wanna wait around for that cradle just make one out of reef safe epoxy putty, its going to be cheaper too. Just thought Id let you know since we are in between Christmas and New Years and it usually takes a while to ship some products...

Andreww

In case you haven't read this article yet, I suggest you do so...its a very informative thread about clam care.

WV Reefer
10 hours ago, Conner smith said:

My 20 gallon nano reef!!! Check it out!!!!! Please and thank you!:) I will be doing updates on this tank as well as product reviews, showing some coral I pick up along the way of building this tank fully, and also answering questions if I could! so stay tuned for more...:rolleyes:

Found it!

Looks good so far. :)  I like that giant archway. 

HarryPotter

So many caps ???

looks nice, is this your first tank?

Conner smith
17 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Found it!

Looks good so far. :)  I like that giant archway. 

thank you!

Conner smith
2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

So many caps ???

looks nice, is this your first tank?

:DI know haha attention grabber! 

thank you, no this is my 3rd tank, started off with a 120gallon fish only tank, moved to a 10 gallon for my bedroom, then now with a 20 gallon. 

ended up making the 120 gallon freshwater , going back to salt next week or 2. will make some updates

Conner smith

new corals in my nano reef now!

hollywood stunner chalice

red monti

seasons greetings monti

acans

zoas

IMG_6830.JPG