Cultivated Reef

Do I need to dose my mixed reef?

Jphom

Hi all,

I have been following TeenyReef's Nuvo Fusion 10 and I see that he has a very thriving mixed reef. All while only dosing Reef Energy A/B and No Pox, so that being said my fusion 10 is nowhere nearly as stocked as his tank.

Currently I have an Acan Frag with 4 heads, Hammer coral, GSP and a rather large monitpora plate. The only thing I am doing right now is just dosing No Pox, using red sea pro coral salt and that's it. My future stock plans to have a few softies such as Zoa's and Mushrooms, maybe a few more LPS and a couple SPS.

So that being said, should I worry about dosing trace elements?

Jack

You probably could get away with not dosing if you are doing some regular water changes.  I have only montis as my sps and all lps in my 40g cube and I just do a weekly 5gal water change.  Test every few days and if your alk and cal are not changing much then you don’t need to do anything else except enjoy the tank. 

Thanks for the tip! I am doing 2 gallon water changes weekly and have been since I started, dosing NoPox everyday at about .5 ML for the past month now. Should I continue to dose this? It's keeping my nitrates down as well from what my test kit tells me.

Red Sea coral pro has some high numbers, alkalinity being pretty high around 12 dkh.

You might not need to dose anything with small colonies but you should test because once they get bigger they will deplete those elements much faster .