inTank Media Baskets

Mushroom mad? Damaged?

KNelson

I was inspecting my tank this morning and noticed my favorite mushroom looked wrong.  There was some sponge growing next to it so I snapped a quick photo and (after poking my leather really hard in my freak out :unsure:) tried to mush the sponge into oblivion and rub of whatever was on my shroom. 

20171225_095826.thumb.jpg.eeb5bf291a50c87ac607bde9515e1b65.jpg

Then it got mad. 

20171225_095901.thumb.jpg.cc0a3157998749fdfbebe89a97505607.jpg

Now it's guts are back in, but the spot on the side is worse. 

20171225_095948.thumb.jpg.66cc83de5bf76e139ca549fcff33956b.jpg

It looks like the guts, but it's coming from the edge.  Anyone know what's happening? 

The  remaining filaments are coming from the side though.  They are mostly back in as of this post.  I couldn't find much info on the web without delving into very long articles that I don't have time for today.  I did add a small torch and an alveopora (both located far from the mushroom) on Saturday.  Hopefully he'll be all better by morning.

Thanks! 

Agreed - mesenterial filaments.  I've observed them various times and in almost every circumstance it's been an offensive/aggressive behavior.  I actually had a scoly that "digested" a neighboring coral from quite a distance.  

From the pic they don't appear be a problem.   For the tube?   Is it a worm from the other side or something?

12 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

For the tube?   Is it a worm from the other side or something?

I have to drain a gallon of water to stick my hand in there to move him around to find out.  He stiffened up real quick when I touched him earlier so I doubt it would do me any good to see.  

14 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

Agreed - mesenterial filaments.  I've observed them various times and in almost every circumstance it's been an offensive/aggressive behavior.

You think the torch emitted something? 

22 minutes ago, KNelson said:

I have to drain a gallon of water to stick my hand in there to move him around to find out.  He stiffened up real quick when I touched him earlier so I doubt it would do me any good to see.  

You think the torch emitted something? 

Can't say for sure what causes it but In my experience they go back to normal after a little while.  Observe it carefully but you may not need to take any action. 

• Thanks 1