Cultivated Reef

First time tank!

jorahx

1 minute ago, ChristopherDido said:

Thanks! Gives me some new ideas.

it was a simple kitchen cabinet set from home depot. I also had extra granite left over from my kitchen remodel so placed it  on top! worked out good =]

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jorahx said:

in a bigger tank this gyre would do wonderfully! its just a bit to small for this gyre. i feel it works but it blows the LPS torches around a lot. 

and the rock, i had no idea there was different kinds when i first started out. so chose some from a near by LFS and started creating my aquascape. haha

thanks for viewing! i love feeding the anemones and watching them take all the food in. 

I'm in-between adding a second Jebao RW series and adding a single gyre unit...  Hmmm decisions...

As for the rock - yes there are many types! I'm surprised you found that at your LFS...  By me the LFS' only carry Fiji and the often terrestrially sourced "dry base rock" - including the painted variants.  Pukani is awesome because the shapes resemble the natural growth patterns of the reefs (so technically that rock on the left with the GSP on it is upside down).  I also like it because a 5lb single piece is huge compared to most other types of rock.  In my tank I only  have a few pieces of large pukani and I love it.

11 hours ago, ajmckay said:

I'm in-between adding a second Jebao RW series and adding a single gyre unit...  Hmmm decisions...

As for the rock - yes there are many types! I'm surprised you found that at your LFS...  By me the LFS' only carry Fiji and the often terrestrially sourced "dry base rock" - including the painted variants.  Pukani is awesome because the shapes resemble the natural growth patterns of the reefs (so technically that rock on the left with the GSP on it is upside down).  I also like it because a 5lb single piece is huge compared to most other types of rock.  In my tank I only  have a few pieces of large pukani and I love it.

i really like the uniform pushing of flow, but i just feel if i had a bit bigger of a tank it would be much better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a quick question for you, how much rock and sand did you use?  I am just itching to get my nuvo 20 started, just looking to see how much to buy, I like the depth of your sand bed.

Cheers

-Ceres

On 1/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, jorahx said:

i dont want him to wander into the power head. Or go kill my corals

They don't move nearly as fast as you might think.  It would take a nem over 5-6 hours to move from one side to the other. And generally speaking. Once it's found it's happy spot. It's. It going to move again

9 hours ago, CeresReef said:

Hi I have a quick question for you, how much rock and sand did you use?  I am just itching to get my nuvo 20 started, just looking to see how much to buy, I like the depth of your sand bed.

Cheers

-Ceres

think its like 17-18 pounds of rock.

1 20g bag of pink sand

9 hours ago, JBM said:

They don't move nearly as fast as you might think.  It would take a nem over 5-6 hours to move from one side to the other. And generally speaking. Once it's found it's happy spot. It's. It going to move again

yeah not worth the risk with this investment. 

Update-

its been awhile since i did an update so here it goes =]

got some new corals and some better skills with my camera.

feeding chalice

rtLvsyh.png

xCvHARg.jpg

L8i86p9.png

eJbGBgn.png

fLyS93h.png

7c80yls.jpg

8 minutes ago, RocketClownfish said:

How’s your rbta? Did it ever find a good spot in your home?

didnt get some good photos today. =[

oh, and i have it in the nem box. it doesnt wonder into the powerhead =]

LogicalReefs
1 hour ago, jorahx said:

didnt get some good photos today. =[

oh, and i have it in the nem box. it doesnt wonder into the powerhead =]

Nice. Keep us posted on it.