Innovative Marine Aquariums

What’s your favorite setting on the Vortech MP 10 and why?

Brian whitman

Brian whitman

I love my MP 10 on my red sea max 130 D. It provides plenty of flow  and has great options and features. I’ve always wondered though what the best setting is. Right now I’m using nutrient transport mode which pulses for a while And then runs continuous for awhile.  I’m just starting up a new tank, it is mixed with mostly LPS and SPS,  but some softies like zoas and and Green star polyp. 

I’d like to add a second Mp10  eventually to create more back and forth directed flow,  but I’d have to turn them down pretty far for it would be too much for the tank. 

What are you guys running on your MP 10s in your tanks? Why do you like that setting? 

I like he nutrient transport mode as well. Most people will probably vote for Reef crest, but I like to have some wave action. If I had 2, I would run one on nutrient transport and the other on reefcrest. 

Reefaddiction

Reef crest predominantly. After feeding I put the MP10 on Nutrient transport mode to help move leftover food to my  filter in the back of the tank.  And of course the wonderful night mode when lights go out!

1 mp10 reefcrest 100% near upper level for random speed gyre effect , and RW8 on same side upper level on random mode at 70%.  Together they work well as gyre ,  whole tank has great flow.  Redsea Reefer 170. 

Brian whitman
2 hours ago, John L said:

1 mp10 reefcrest 100% near upper level for random speed gyre effect , and RW8 on same side upper level on random mode at 70%.  Together they work well as gyre ,  whole tank has great flow.  Redsea Reefer 170. 

I like this idea and have never seen these jebaos, very good price for what looks almost as good as Vortech.  Right now I have my Vortech on the same side my returns are near ( they come out of the back but are in the upper left corner of the tank). It’s working well but it’s kind of a one directional flow so I would like another pump on the other side to break it up and make it more random, this could work perfect. 

10 hours ago, Brian whitman said:

I like this idea and have never seen these jebaos, very good price for what looks almost as good as Vortech.  Right now I have my Vortech on the same side my returns are near ( they come out of the back but are in the upper left corner of the tank). It’s working well but it’s kind of a one directional flow so I would like another pump on the other side to break it up and make it more random, this could work perfect. 

I’m really pleased with the RW8 so far,  you’ll need to clean it every few months as it does affect performance.

For yr 130, 50% power will be like a storm in a tea cup, you’ll have plenty of flexibility though.  Just to let u know there is an updated version called SW8, and smaller version SW4.

Brian whitman
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Battery back up mode, most valuable asset of the MP10.  

I need to get one (battery). Do you have to use the Vortech one or will a computer UPS work?

I have an ES model so I don't have night mode, but I simulate it with a half-strength "Lagoon" setting. I use an altered light cycle, having my lights come on at 2:30pm so that they are at peak when I'm home rather than while I'm at work, so based on that, this is my MP10 program:

Lagoon 50% - 12am-5am

Lagoon 65% - 5am-6am

Lagoon 75% - 6am-7am

Transition (ramp up mode)

Tidal Pool 75ish (I think it's 72, but that's because EcoSmart is a terrible program and I got sick of messing with it) - 7am-11am

Reef Crest 70ish - 11am-2pm

Reef Crest 85% - 2pm-6:30pm

Feed mode - 6:30pm-6:45pm

Nutrient Export - 6:45pm-7:40pm

Reef Crest 70% - 8pm-10pm

Transition (ramp down)

Tidal Pool ?% - 10pm-12am

Lights start moon phase at midnight

If I had "night mode" on my MP10 I wouldn't go to all this hassle, I'd just set it and let the machine figure it out. lol 

Tidal Swell mode at about 40 - 45% power. I like the randomness of the flow and so do my corals. I have a Biocube 29 with it mounted towards the top front of the left hand side of the tank. Mostly soft corals and LPS. 

MainelyReefer
2 hours ago, Brian whitman said:

I need to get one (battery). Do you have to use the Vortech one or will a computer UPS work?

I purchased the vortech one a year ago and would reccomend it for its capabilities, not sure A computer ups could pull 72 hours of operating time. It has saved the tank a few times since.

2 hours ago, Brian whitman said:

A computer UPS will work I’ve used one for the past year but just took it offline cuz I’ll be getting the eco tech battery backup. 

My tank is LPS dominated. I tried Lagoon and NTM in hopes these were gonna be more gentle than Reef crest mode. Lagoon on the same speed seems to move way too much sand around . NTM is ok, but I got sick of it after a while. Plus it doesn’t look that natural to me .

I switched to Reef crest 75% speed in my 2ft tank. Corals needed 2 days to adjust to the flow but now they’re all good !

Sand isn’t getting blown around that much either.

So whoever did the testing and found out Lagoon moves more water than Reef Crest, is right. Way more sand getting blown around by Lagoon, at least in my tank. 

So there you go, Reef crest does well with LPS as well. I’ve got Ricordeas right under the MP-10. They’re loving that spot as well.

Brian whitman
3 hours ago, Mazzy21 said:

I have an ES model so I don't have night mode, but I simulate it with a half-strength "Lagoon" setting. I use an altered light cycle, having my lights come on at 2:30pm so that they are at peak when I'm home rather than while I'm at work, so based on that, this is my MP10 program:

Lagoon 50% - 12am-5am

Lagoon 65% - 5am-6am

Lagoon 75% - 6am-7am

Transition (ramp up mode)

Tidal Pool 75ish (I think it's 72, but that's because EcoSmart is a terrible program and I got sick of messing with it) - 7am-11am

Reef Crest 70ish - 11am-2pm

Reef Crest 85% - 2pm-6:30pm

Feed mode - 6:30pm-6:45pm

Nutrient Export - 6:45pm-7:40pm

Reef Crest 70% - 8pm-10pm

Transition (ramp down)

Tidal Pool ?% - 10pm-12am

Lights start moon phase at midnight

If I had "night mode" on my MP10 I wouldn't go to all this hassle, I'd just set it and let the machine figure it out. lol 

Whoa how do you have it change modes throughout the day like that, with their controller?

I have a ReefLink. Without one there is basically no controlability for any EcoTech item unless you plug it in to a USB. You can't even do anything with Radions without a Reeflink. I'm growing a little sour on EcoTech products and how non-user-friendly they really are, but I suppose that probably happens over time with any products you buy. Newer tech comes along. But for EcoTech I feel it's kind of like the iPhone - they were first and so people make the mistake of thinking they are "the best" but really all they can claim at this point is being first and not staying in line with their competition. I laugh at people who think iPhones are offering them any kind of new tech that andriod users haven't had for at least five years. Unfortunately I'm feeling like now I'm the duped consumer when it comes to EcoTech. So anyway, yeah - I have a reeflink. And a radion and MP10 controlled by it.

PS - and my driver crapped out a day ago and was glitching before that so now I question if those percentages were right. The one thing I'll say for EcoTech items is that they are powerful. Both the lights and the pumps. So it always seemed like those %'s were pretty high for a nano tank but the lights were working as they should on the driver so I figured it was all good. When I recently moved my tank I found out that the power plug port was pulling away from the motherboard so it was only getting full power on random occasions it was making full contact. Telling this is as cautionary info - you may not want to make %'s that high in a nano tank. 

• 2 years later...
Freshz Rocker

hello guys i just bought the mp10 i have 40 gallons nano reef tank, so what is the best speed for that, also i have night mode only pressing button, so is the lagoon mode the best way to do it wirelessly on the app? thanks

Hopefully you have some budget left to add more flow.  I'd use a minimum of two pumps for a reef almost on principle, but especially considering these pumps (weak) and your tank (large).  The Mp10 flow is only good to about 12", fairly weak outside that range.  Add a second pump to cover the "dead end" of the tank and you're set.  Select a mode where the pumps are on more than they are off and which you can run close to 100%.  (Don't waste those pumps just lookin' at em – use 'em!!)  Which mode specifically doesn't matter too much.