Cultivated Reef

Any ideas how to lower temperature?

fot80

I have a fluval evo 13.5 and it's running about 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than I'd like.  And this is in the winter.  I will probably be dealing with a good 3 to 4 degrees in the summer.  I really, really don't want to buy a chiller....big money, no room to run lines, too cluttered, etc.  I don't know of any fans that will fit on the tank without removing the covers.  I was thinking that if i point the pump nozzle a little more upwards it may create a greater turbulence on the surface and chill.  It creates a small turbulence at the moment.  I also have an air driven skimmer, but it's not doing enough to cool the tank.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, ifarmer said:

that is easy.  

put a frozen bottle of water in the sump

i'm looking more for a constant solution.  also, the frozen bottle will lower the temperature too much and there is no sump.

I was having a similar issue with my Biocube 14g from the CFL's (82-83 degrees in summer despite the a/c in the house being on almost continuously). I got a cheap chinese Inkbird temperature regulator for $20 on-line, hooked a 10mm computer fan up to it, mounted the fan to a hole in the back of my hood, set my temps and had really good luck dropping my temps by 4-5 degrees. The downside was my evaporation rates doubled, but at least I was able to start keeping some softies. I don't know about how Evo tops are designed, or if this solution is feasible for you, but it might be worth a try.

• 3 months later...
Jellyingabout

I know this thread is supper old and likely dead but If your still interested in ideas for this perhaps for next summer, I used to lower the tempurature of my jellyfish tank with a DIY water cooler. I used a cheap mini fridge £30 ($42) and drilled two holes straight through the top, I used water tight conduit fittings £2 ($3) as bulk heads of sorts threading a 15mm hose into the minifridge where it was coiled up loads then returned out the other hole. I used a maxijet to pump from my sump into the cooler and had it return into my tank. 

I regulated the tempurature change by adding a Y split in the water line after the pump, before the cooler, one line would go into the cooler then into the tank, the other straight back into the tank. The line for the cooler had a union on it. This way i could limit the flow through the cooler without burning out the pump.

• 3 months later...