Libra Vibora

Beginner Tank Suggestions

Libra Vibora

Hi, guys! I've lurked on this forum for a bit and finally found the courage to create an account, so I'm very glad to be here. I'm completely new to saltwater; I've always wanted a saltwater tank, but only had freshwater tanks due assuming that SW tanks need to be huge and require lots of maintenance. So, I was completely surprised and happy to learn SWtanks can be smaller and aren't as hard as people claim them to be. 

Cutting to the chase, I am seriously considering getting a nano tank and making it a reef tank, but I'm unsure which nano tanks would be good for someone like me, a beginner with no saltwater experience. So far, based on limited space, my choices have narrow down to the Coralife LED Biocube 16, the Fluval 13.5  IM Nuvo Fusion 10, IM Fusion Peninsula 20, and IM Nuvo Drop-Off 20. I intend to research long before (as in months) buying the tank and all the equipment I need to successfully start and maintain a SW reef tank.  What are the pros and cons of each of these tanks? What are the equipment/upgrades I would need for each specific tank?

Lula_Mae

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  I was the same, always thought salt tanks had to be huge until I came here.  I would suggest searching for those tanks on here and reading about the myriad ways people have customized and upgraded (or not) each of them to get an idea for what would need immediate upgrading versus what could wait versus what's perfectly fine to use.  There's pros and cons to the sizes you've got in mind too, more tank gallons = more space but lighting can get more expensive for longer tanks.  There's so many ways to reef, best thing to do I think is read, read, read some more, and start trying things once you pick a tank setup. :)

• Like 1

Big E reef

^ ditto, also look into the I'm nuvo peninsula 14, kinda a happy middle ground by the sound of what you are looking at. Remember however that more gallons are more forgiving. think of it like a test, if you miss one question on a 10 question test that's now 90%, but if you miss one question on a 100 question test that's 99%. The bigger the tank the more room for error.

Clown79

Hello and welcome

I love nano tanks! I had a 55g and I prefer my smaller tanks to it. 

The old "rule" of sw having to be 55g or more is just that- it's OLD.

Ppl have sw in 1g jars.

Anything is possible with the right set up, dedication, and maintenance.

For your options:

Biocube- nice tank but the hood may cause temp issues/gas exchange issues, rounded glass distorts the visual can be a pain to clean. No lights needed, comes with it.

IM - great tanks, thick glass, open top, crisp clean look. Need a light but there are a lot of options.

Drop off tank- the first ones made of acrylic had serious issues with bowing and springing leaks. Not sure about the glass ones. Read lots of reviews on before deciding.

Otherwise the drop offs are really cool looking.

Peninsula- the length is great for aquascape but lighting will be limited to multiple pendants or 1 long fixture.

I have a 10g IM and the 25g lagoon. Love the tanks. I love the lagoon. Perfect dimensions.

The evo 13 is another nice tank. I really like the look of them. It comes with a light that's good for Lps and softy corals. A media basket would be needed for it as well.

Some upgrade the pumps, it's not necessary for start up, it can be done later if you need to.

Getting media baskets is a good idea to hold your filter media. 

I like the IM baskets but many go for the intank media baskets. 

Getting something that's 13g or more is a great option. It gives you more room and honestly, sw is addictive. More room means more corals.?

Go through member journals and the gallery. It will help you decide on the look you like best.

• Like 1

This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Hello and welcome

Ppl have sw in 1g jars.

For your options:

Biocube- nice tank but the hood may cause temp issues/gas exchange issues, rounded glass distorts the visual can be a pain to clean. No lights needed, comes with it.

IM - great tanks, thick glass, open top, crisp clean look. Need a light but there are a lot of options.

Drop off tank- the first ones made of acrylic had serious issues with bowing and springing leaks. Not sure about the glass ones. Read lots of reviews on before deciding.

Peninsula- the length is great for aquascape but lighting will be limited to multiple pendants or 1 long fixture.

I have a 10g IM and the 25g lagoon. Love the tanks. I love the lagoon. Perfect dimensions.

The evo 13 is another nice tank. I really like the look of them. It comes with a light that's good for Lps and softy corals. A media basket would be needed for it as well.

Some upgrade the pumps, it's not necessary for start up, it can be done later if you need to.

Getting something that's 13g or more is a great option. It gives you more room and honestly, sw is addictive. More room means more corals.?

Go through member journals and the gallery. It will help you decide on the look you like best.

Very well said 

I own a heavily modified biocube.. (look at my profile) with a display refugium and sump. I had the biocube for quite some time until I wanted a display refugium lol

it seems what you want to do with the tank of either having a reef or a FOWLR, revolves around lights. What is sufficient for fish versus growing coral. 

Welcome to the hobby! Everyone here was in the same shoes you’re in on deciding your ideal tank. Good luck, don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Stay Salty!

• Like 1

pgrVII
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Hello and welcome

Ppl have sw in 1g jars.

For your options:

Lagoon for sure?

• Like 1

Clown79
1 hour ago, pgrVII said:

Lagoon for sure?

The lagoon was what I always wanted but I cheaper out when I set up my 15g...2 yrs later switched to the lagoon and absolutely love it...wish I had just gotten it to start, would have cost less in the long run.

• Like 1

Libra Vibora

Hi, guys! :D Sorry for the super late reply. I was really caught up in my holiday break and lurked on this site to research (per your suggestions). Additionally, classes started up for me again. Thank you so much for the responses and extremely helpful advice. Upon further research, I'm definitely became more impressed and enamored with Innovative Marine and their tanks. However, while I find IM'sdrop-off/Abyss tanks very eye-catching, I've also read many reviews composing of complaints of these tanks leaking and being hard to aquascape. And while I find the IM 10 to be an amazing tank, I think I will go with the IM Nano 20 or IM Micro 30L (I measured the parameters of the area I would place the tank and found out I have enough room for either of these tanks) due to the ideas of more gallons allowing more room for error (thank you for the pointing this out, Big E reef!) and more corals (thank you,  Clown79)!

I really appreciate your help and I'm definitely looking forward to chatting some more with you and the other lovely folks at Nano-Reef! :D

RIP Sebastian

I'm gonna toot my own horn here and say the IM Nuvo Micro 30L. That's what my tank is and I LOVE it! I think it is the perfect size- lots of room for corals, but not too much work!