SaltCritters.com

test kits question

jorahx

hey so i'm new to reefing and i'm in the process of building my first fish tank. its a 20g one and ideally ill have a couple fishies and a couple corals. now back to my question, what are the suggested water test kits i should buy? while browsing i saw like 12 different chemicals to test for but i didn't know which ones are important to get first while i'm trying to cycle my tank and which ones i should get when i actually get a fish or a coral.

thanks for any help you guys can suggest. 

Clown79 is on point for what you need and when you need it. 

I never use to test alk, calcium, mag or phos when I first started I just relied that water changes would get my levels close enough to acceptable and my tank always was surviving but not thriving like it is now.

API for Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate are sufficient if you are on a tight budget. I like the red sea tests a bit better for those three because I find the colors are easier to tell from one level to the next, but the API are definitely pretty good and will get the job done for a fraction of the cost.

for ALK hanna tester is the best, but I use Red Sea because it is more cost efficient because I test multiple tanks 3-5 times a week. 

Calcium and Mag I just use the red sea because they come as a "foundation kit" with the alk. I have used API calcium test before and it gets you in the ballpark.

Phos I would highly suggest a hanna because the levels are generally so low that it is hard to decipher one color to the next even with the best colorimeter test.

This is a great video on test kits

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-34-our-favorite-test-kits/

The liquid test kits from Red Sea and Salifert are generally okay. I like that the red sea kits have lot numbers and expiration dates on them. The hardest part with any liquid test kits are that they require you compare the results to a color chart of some sort, many of which can be difficult to read. The hannah kits are nice in that they will give you a specific number. The problem with the hannah kits is that they only come in a limited number of tests and i'm not sure how accurate they are again. As in, I don't own any of them and i'm not sure: A) how long the probes last and B ) can you calibrate them?!

• 2 weeks later...

I would get the red sea algae control (nitrate and phosphate), red sea foundation test ( alk, calcium, magnesium ).  Api or salifert ammonia and nitrite.     My tank was setup with no live rock and I seem to use calcium a good bit.  

:  1) make ur own saltwater from start. Get rodi from lfs, get your own high quality salt ( red sea salt is solid), a bucket , heater and a pump or powerhead.  This way u have full control of the type and quality of the saltwater u use from the start and will be more consistent.

1 minute ago, zohar78 said:

I would get the red sea algae control (nitrate and phosphate), red sea foundation test ( alk, calcium, magnesium ).  Api or salifert ammonia and nitrite.     My tank was setup with no live rock and I seem to use calcium a good bit.  

:  1) make ur own saltwater from start. Get rodi from lfs, get your own high quality salt ( red sea salt is solid), a bucket , heater and a pump or powerhead.  This way u have full control of the type and quality of the saltwater u use from the start and will be more consistent.

i ended up getting the red sea test kits, i love them. easy to use and i feel like walter white while testing.

i have been just getting SW from LFS but i plan to start mixing my own once i get more room (living in an apt sucks)

I know the feeling about apartments.  Yeah I'm using red sea myself.   Ask lfs what salt they are using and what they mix to.  Most of the salt say have to mix to 1.24 to 1.26 to reach the advertised levels.  Neither of mine do so I would have to dose almost directly from the get go.

Just now, zohar78 said:

I know the feeling about apartments.  Yeah I'm using red sea myself.   Ask lfs what salt they are using and what they mix to.  Most of the salt say have to mix to 1.24 to 1.26 to reach the advertised levels.  Neither of mine do so I would have to dose almost directly from the get go.

good idea, ill get that info so i can be informed. i get water from the same store. and know they get it from one source. so should be consistant once i learn what it is. 

Mozby's Reef
2 hours ago, jorahx said:

i ended up getting the red sea test kits, i love them. easy to use and i feel like walter white while testing.

i have been just getting SW from LFS but i plan to start mixing my own once i get more room (living in an apt sucks)

Hey fellow new reefer, 

I also got the red sea test kit (marine care) so I'm biased but I'll say good call! Also, I'm planning to get a hanna checker for phosphates. The tip I got from BRS is to get the ULR phosphorus checker instead of the phosphate checker. You'll have to do some math but the results are more accurate. Currently also getting SW from LFS but eventually I'll probably install an RODI unit and mix my own. You might want to check out Aquatic Life Twist-in 100GPD 4 stage RODI system, since its smaller, lightweight and portable (suitable if you don't have a lot of room). I'm thinking of getting that as well.

18 hours ago, Mozby's Reef said:

Hey fellow new reefer, 

I also got the red sea test kit (marine care) so I'm biased but I'll say good call! Also, I'm planning to get a hanna checker for phosphates. The tip I got from BRS is to get the ULR phosphorus checker instead of the phosphate checker. You'll have to do some math but the results are more accurate. Currently also getting SW from LFS but eventually I'll probably install an RODI unit and mix my own. You might want to check out Aquatic Life Twist-in 100GPD 4 stage RODI system, since its smaller, lightweight and portable (suitable if you don't have a lot of room). I'm thinking of getting that as well.

thanks ill check that out! much appreciated