Pod Your Reef

TDS from tap is 1?!

Brian whitman

Brian whitman

I recently got a bulk reef supply 4 stage RO/DI unit.  Today I upgraded it by adding on a pressure gauge, flow restrictor bypass and TDS meter. The bad news, my water pressure is only at 38, do I need to worry about that? The good news, I don’t think I need to worry about the water pressure on this sink I am using it because inbound my TDS  is only measuring 1. Outbound it is 0.  At these numbers I am wondering if I even need RODI?!  I will of course still use it and I feel a lot better knowing that I  supplying my tank with very clean water.  I have heard where I live (Atlanta) has very good water,  this proves it. I also brew home Beer a lot and my local brew supply store has told me that our local water is very good for brewing without adjusting much. They were right for the most part! 

Thrassian Atoll

I would still use it for sure.  Could be stuff in the water that doesn't show up on the tds meter.  Not sure what that is, chlorine maybe?  

I bought a boost pump because my water pressure is around 40.  I think the higher the pressure, the longer the media lasts.  

Brian whitman

Actually I realize they have you install the probe after the first 3 filters and before the DI so not sure about it out of the tap...  don’t know why they wouldn’t have you install the in meter befor any filters...

1 is from the RO filter, as I think you've figured out.  Based on the lower pressure I'd say your tap is probably in the low 100's in order to get a 1 from the RO output.  It may also be due to cold water, especially if you don't have a temperature correcting TDS meter.  Cold water can under report TDS by 2 or 3.

38 should be barely enough, it's better than using tap.   If you're in a house then odds are you have a pressure regulator where the supply comes in and you may be able to increase house pressure a bit.

My pressure hovers around 40-42. TDS is 16 out of the tap and 0-1 out of the RO, I don't use DI. 

I have calibrated my TDS meter and tried 3 different ones from different companies and all are the same, so I have no reason to think it's not correct and out of tap TDS is consistent with what the water authority folks report.

I live in an apartment and I don't think there is any way to boost pressure without a booster pump but they cost more then the RO unit, so I'll pass for now...lol