Pod Your Reef

BACK IN STOCK NEW PLS-50 Elite II , slimmer size 3.25" x 3.5"!

CAD-Aqua

Sps_Addicted964
5 hours ago, CAD-Aqua said:

Hi, Teenyreef,

We have the new instructions coming soon. we released the PLS-50 Elite II in early January and it was 4.5 long and 4" wide. so after a few customers have tried it, and didnt fit, we completely redesigned it to see how we can slim it down to the current 3.25" x 3.5", making the old manuals unusable. new manuals will be done by the time the current Pre-order batch will be ready to ship. 

Thank you for choosing us and we really appreciate your support!

Scott

So what was 4.5" long and did you say you changed  the design from the ones sold in January? If so, does that mean the one I just bought a few weeks ago will be different along with the instructions I never received? 

On 2/21/2018 at 9:09 PM, Sps_Addicted964 said:

So what was 4.5" long and did you say you changed  the design from the ones sold in January? If so, does that mean the one I just bought a few weeks ago will be different along with the instructions I never received? 

Hi, SPSaddict

We did a limited quantity launch back in early January of the PLS-50 Elite II which had a larger footprint. those original foot print was about 4.5" x 4". many of the customer feedback was that though it skims great, it isnt compatible with their tank because the footprint was too big. so we all redesigned the whole skimmer and looked into each component to see how we can cut down the size as much as possible that we can and most important factor is to make it as small as possible without sacrificing any of its performance. so using the same pump, volute and all of its original technical components, we were able to make the current PLS-50 Elite II which is much smaller yet having the same performance as the larger one in all of its tests. 

Here is the instruction booklet for the PLS-50 Elite II. 

CAD Lights Aquariums

www.cadlights.com

(909)980-6880

sales@cadlights.com

Congratulations on owning thePLS-50 Elite II, “Inch for Inch” strongest skimmer in the market. With many years of research and development we have designed awhole new way of protein skimming. By removing all of the pipes and valves, we were able to effectively cut down the skimmer size by 40% while still exceeding protein skimming standards. We truly wish that you will have great results with our PLS-50 Elite II.

1)       Silent design

2)       CAD Lights Patent Pending Pipeless skimmer technology.

3)       Professional internal Bubble-Plate (Turbulence control)

4)       10G-60G Capacity (with respective live stock loads)

5)       100% Cell-Cast acrylic

6)       Hand-made quality craftsmanship

7)       Tension lock and full locking

8)       Pin-wheel air injection Venturi

9)       Slide mount

10)    Removable collection cup

11)    220GPH pump

12)    1 year manufacturer warranty

Directions for use of PLS-50 Elite Nano pipeless skimmer

1)       Now that the PLS-50 Elite II is all assembled, you can now fit it into your filter chambers. The range of water level to use the PLS-50 is 4.5”-7” and the Optimal level is 5”.

2)       Before putting the PLS-50 Elite into water, make sure the drain holes are aligned and that it is at maximum opening. Loosen slightly the (M) locking screws and you can turn the skimmer body left or right to open and close the drain holes. This is the motion you need to do later to adjust the skimming and foam level. Practice outside of tank if necessary to get more familiar with this unique turning adjustment.

3)        (G) Drain holes now should be aligned and at maximum opening. Pre-fit the skimmer in the back chambers and adjust the tank mount (L) as necessary to the operating height of your choice. Loosen or tighten the thumbscrew as needed to slide the mount up or down.

4)       Keep the (M) locking screws loose so there is an ease of motion as you turn the skimmer body to the left and right. Make sure the drain holes all align to maximum opening prior to plugging in the pump.

5)       Now you may plug in the 220GPH Pin-wheel skimmer pump.

6)       Let it run for at least a minute until you start to adjust.

7)       Now that you have a nice smooth motion where you can freely turn the skimmer body holding either the base of the collection cup or the “Collar” of the skimmer’s upper body. Turn counter-clockwise to raise the foam and turn clockwise to lower the foam and adjust to your desired level. Once you have reached your desired foaming level, you can lock the adjustment by tightening the (M) Locking screws (when surfaces touch is fine). Avoid tightening too much or all the way; you only need it to be tight enough for it to hold the setting. Over tightening can possibly tilt the body slightly and throw off your setting and leak out micro-bubbles in between the bottom plates.

8)       Each time you adjust the skimmer, make sure to loosen the tension lock first to get minimal restricted motion on the body.

BREAK IN Period: this is the time it takes for the new pump and skimmer to loosen, equalize and balance itself into your tank and its chemistry. The average break in period is typically 1-3 days. During this period, the skimming level can be either too high or too low. You can make slight adjustments to it as needed. Once the PLS-50 Elite has fully broken in with your water is when it will hold more consistent.

Maintenance:

1)       To empty out the collected Protein (DOCs organic waste), you gently pull the collection cup upward and it will disconnect with the skimmer body. Empty or clean as you wish and push back into the skimmer body.

2)       Once in a while it is recommended to give the PLS-50 Elite a complete cleaning. To do this, the skimmer takes apart in 4 pieces. The collection cup comes off as shown above #1, the skimmer body can be disassembled by removing the lock screws and simply pull upward to separate from base, the pump slides off of the bottom and the center bracket will remain.

3)       Clean under warm water or diluted Vinegar (For soaking). Then assemble and place back into filter chambers for use.

Instructions pg 1.jpg

Thanks for posting the instructions!

For those that may be interested, I posted some pictures and a video of the skimmer in my IM Fusion 40g tank thread, on page 88:

• Like 1
  • CAD-Aqua changed the title to BACK IN STOCK NEW PLS-50 Elite II , slimmer size 3.25" x 3.5"!
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Reeferon said:

Do you think that it would be possible to modify this skimmer to fit in a Fusion 20?? (4" x 3")

It seems like it would work because the body diameter appears to be the identical in the new model. 

Here is a thread with a description mod: 

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2018 at 8:16 PM, pieceofreef said:

Does this skimmer work in the IM 25g lagoon? I've found conflicting information.

Are any mods necessary? This thread mentions a mod on the version 1.

I do not believe this will fit. I have one in my Lagoon 50, there’s not a lot of breathing room. I had a lagoon 25 previously, the Icecap K1 is the closest thing as far as style, that will fit the 25. It’s too bad too, I love my PLS-50, it’s a beast.

• 1 month later...

I've been researching a skimmer for my JBJ45 rimless.  So far I'm down to the Tunze 9004 DC.  Came across this thread and have been intrigued.  Anyone have any experience with the Elite II in a JBJ45?

Thanks,

-gene

On 10/24/2018 at 6:49 AM, McGene said:

I've been researching a skimmer for my JBJ45 rimless.  So far I'm down to the Tunze 9004 DC.  Came across this thread and have been intrigued.  Anyone have any experience with the Elite II in a JBJ45?

Thanks,

-gene

This is the perfect video for you. EatSleepReef is using the skimmer on his JBJ45 and he would not ever use anything else. Have a look, hope you enjoy it!

-CAD

Thank you so much for this link. It completely changed my decision on the Tunze. 

I like the ease of cleaning as well as the performance of this skimmer. 

Thanks again!

Was a bit surprised to find that I had to pay shipping for a skimmer that's over $150.  I hate to sound cheap -- but, with Amazon and so many other online retailers setting the bar on shipping -- it just seem a bit surprising.  

On 10/31/2018 at 5:35 PM, McGene said:

Placed my order (paid shipping -- could not find a discount code -- oh, well). 

Will provide an update after installation on my JBJ45

Today is 11/7/2018 and no word from CAD on when my order might be shipped. 

Sent an email via their website but no response. 

Is this typical?

2 minutes ago, McGene said:

Whoops. As I typed the above note I received a reply to my email. Skimmer is on the way. 

Thanks CAD!

McGene sorry for the small update delay, the skimmer is definitely on the way though! We will make sure this doesn't happen again.

-CAD

Just installed the CAD skimmer.  What a beautiful piece of equipment.  Reminds me of the one I had on my 125g years ago -- just on a smaller scale.

Placed the skimmer in my JBJ45 on the left in the second chamber.  Fit perfectly.  First chamber houses my upgraded InTank media chamber.  

Will post an update as the skimmer breaks-in and starts to pull out gunk.  So far, my tank is fairly clean (Tank was set up in July of 2018 -- so currently only 4 months old).  

The folks at CAD seem to be caring and interested in my success.  Thanks, guys!!!

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, McGene said:

Just installed the CAD skimmer.  What a beautiful piece of equipment.  Reminds me of the one I had on my 125g years ago -- just on a smaller scale.

Placed the skimmer in my JBJ45 on the left in the second chamber.  Fit perfectly.  First chamber houses my upgraded InTank media chamber.  

Will post an update as the skimmer breaks-in and starts to pull out gunk.  So far, my tank is fairly clean (Tank was set up in July of 2018 -- so currently only 4 months old).  

The folks at CAD seem to be caring and interested in my success.  Thanks, guys!!!

Awesome! Looking forward to the update. Have a great rest of your day.

Well, it's only been 2 weeks and the my CAD skimmer is working beautifully.  Still not pulling a ton of stuff out -- but, that's largely due to a fairly clean tank.  I do have the obligatory diatom bloom -- but, it will run it's course soon.  

I'm hearing (reading) more and more satisfied users of this skimmer in tanks like mine.  Seriously, it would be hard to find a better skimmer.  If you research the issues of maintenance on the Tunze 9004 you'll quickly appreciate the design of this skimmer for long term use.

I have no affiliation with CAD -- this is simply and honest evaluation based on my personal experience.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @CAD-Aqua!

I have the WaterBox 20 AIO. The middle chamber is long enough, at 210mm (8.25"), but I am not sure it is wide enough, at 80mm (3.15").

Any more precise measurements, or possible "shaving" that could be done to squeeze this guy in there? 

Thanks!

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, shaner014 said:

Hey @CAD-Aqua!

I have the WaterBox 20 AIO. The middle chamber is long enough, at 210mm (8.25"), but I am not sure it is wide enough, at 80mm (3.15").

Any more precise measurements, or possible "shaving" that could be done to squeeze this guy in there? 

Thanks!

Hey @shaner014,

The PLS-50 Elite II has a removable ring that will bring the overall foot print to 3 1/2 x 3 1/8 . Removing the ring on top will not affect the performance of the skimmer.

Have a great day,
CAD

• Like 1

Hey @CAD-Aqua!

Got my hands on a new PLS-50 Elite ii

First off, bravo. This thing is a work of art. Secondly, you are right! The removeable white ring allows the skimmer the extra bit of clearance needed for most of the body to slide down into my middle chamber on a WaterBox 20 AIO. For reference, the chamber is 81mm front to back and this will slide in. 

Whew.

The only catch... the slight “lip” where the taper begins at the top of the skimmer impedes it from sliding any further than that taper point. I think (only looking, can’t confirm with actual immersion yet) that the skimmer would function like that. No mods needed. However, I’d like to lower it slightly more to be less obtrusive to look at outside the tank. 

Where the tapered acrylic meets the main body tube... I’m going to attempt to sand flush all the way around (can’t just be in 2 spots because the whole body has to rotate for adjustment). I suspect that this won’t compromise the skimmer whatsoever because it’s already welded together at that seam, and I’d only be sanding the lip down flush to the body width. Am I correct in assuming that? Obviously if I sand too much... well, I won’t do that! 

Thanks so much! 

(crummy video to show what I mean. Ignore my basement clutter!)

Got it to clear the first lip on the back by Dremel-ing some of that lip off. Proof of concept. Another 20 minutes and a steady hand with the dremel and it will fully clear. 8C9A7987-72D9-449C-916D-31415910B1E1.thumb.jpeg.1dd77b05474125377a3dbe36f353519c.jpeg

What is the max immersion depth of the skimmer? I’d like to drop it down as low as possible. Can the skimmer be inserted all the way to the white collar on the top? Pardon my ignorance as I’ve never had this type of skimmer before. 

Tagging: @Tamberav and @teenyreef since they have both been very helpful thus far! Thanks!

7F4D0549-3371-4867-8894-F13C04167A02.thumb.jpeg.ffc258a979cbcb60bf9bcac1022bf427.jpeg

For further reference. My skimmer body measures 79.5mm. The collar I ground down is at 80mm, and my tanks middle chamber had 81mm of room. Whoa!

Given manufacturing tolerances, your mileage may vary...

• Recommended Discussions