Thatoneomahaguy

Is my coral beauty bothering my corals?

Thatoneomahaguy

Hey everyone. I have a question about everyone's luck with coral beauty angel fish and coral. A few of my coral (blue acro, orange montipora digitata, and fuzzy millepora) never have polyps extended but others like my birdsnest, hammer coral, and rock anemone are doing great and constantly showing full extension. Today I saw my coral angle take a quick nip at my blue acropora and I realized that my issue could just be  the coral beauty. I usually feed my fish daily but sometimes it's every other day. Is the fish likely the problem here? This was my first time seeing this behavior but it would make sense. Is it normal for fish to go after some corals but not all? Ultimately I am trying to figure out why some coral are thriving and others are just surviving and I think I may have found the culprit.

Tank params:

Alk 10.4

Mag 1440

Ph 8.2

Calcium 440

Nitrates ~ 0 

Thoughts?

RayWhisperer

It’s a YMMV situation with any angel. I’ve never had an issue with a coral Beaty, myself. However, I know they can be a problem.

Thatoneomahaguy
20 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

It’s a YMMV situation with any angel. I’ve never had an issue with a coral Beaty, myself. However, I know they can be a problem.

Yea thats kind of what I was afraid of. If he was picking at the corals would there be other signs besides lack of extension? 

Flexin

I had a flame angel, but honestly they pick at everything.  If they like it, it would be gone, so I think you are ok.  Mine had a thing for Xena heads, he would nip at everything but they will come back and finish it off before you can do anything.  Ask me how i know :)  Besides the Xena, he just picked but did not do any real damage.

RayWhisperer

Pretty much what Hans and frans said. Angels pick at all sorts of things. Most times it’s harmless. If they find something they like, they go at it with gusto. 

Ive had several coral beauties, as well as several African flame backs. All picked, but never did any damage. I had one cherub that was fine for months. One day it started picking at a large colony of pocillopora. It was a big colony, so I didn’t much worry, plus, I didn’t want to try and catch it. Within 2 days, the entire colony was destroyed. If you don’t notice any damage within a few days, I would start looking for other causes.

jesseatam

If you have the time to spare I'd reccomend checking out this vid, lots of good info