SaltCritters.com

evo 13.5gallon nano noob

tHeKrAk3N

HI! :)  I'm new here and new to this hobby so any help will be useful. here are some pics of my recently acquired nano tank. 

the first photo was taken a few weeks before I moved it. ahhh wait why cant I upload more photos?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimage.thumb.png.e06d506aa039d7724244f21922df7b2b.png

• Like 1

so I bought this used it came with all of the fish and coral, I fragged about 10 kenya tress and sold them to my lfs and that paid for itself almost. so anyways moving on  I redid the scape what do u guys think?

don't mind the hair algae, that topic is going in its own thread soon,,, maybe...

I'm not 100% on the looks I think it has something to do with all of those yellow polyps and lack of color. and the boring base rock

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

So cool man I am starting up the same tank, I have just introduced inverts and some "starter fish" which I'm housing temporarily.  Is that whiskey I see?  I'm a huge bourbon fan.  Here is my tank, and my whiskey collection for the purpose of bragging.

tank full.jpg

live rock b.jpg

Pappy.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Mmmm Pappy. For the money, i'm more of a W.L. Weller Reserve guy. I prefer smooth (wheat) over bite (rye). Palm Ridge Reserve has a good balance like pappy. Most other buffalo trace offerings have too much rye for my taste.

Nice stock portfolio and tank, too. :) Toss a tuxedo urchin in there and say bye bye hair algae.

Stocks, alcohol, and saltwater fish tank...nice! 

Speaking of alcohol, hard liquor burns me and I hate the feeling.  I drink Ballast Point Sculpin/Grapefruit in regards to beer.  What's s good whisky that won't deter me away?

Back to reefing, OP's new design is nice.  The yellow polyps are a bit overwhelming so if it was reduced I think it won't look bad.  Nice tank overall!

• 5 months later...

breathtaking cabinet my friend! loved the pappy's, im heading to the lounge tomorrow and ill give it a shot. 

so when i built this thread i had a very nice balance of work and home. then things got busy. now im back and ready to let you guys know what has happened since 

i have made some modifications to the evo. the one im most excited about is when i ditched the stock light  for the ai prime hd; i recommend anyone using the evo to change the light. whether its the prime kessil or the one that seems very promising to me; the nano-box. the next thing i bought was an ro/di unit called the ro buddie +di. and today i just received  (this is what reminded me to come here and do an update)  the eflux 660 wavemaker from current usa. ive tried 2 different wavemakers before this purchase and the main thing this wavemaker differs from the others is the controllability and the mostly wireless functions not to mention the size. 

all in all it was a very nice upgrade! with the prime hd im able to control the light anywhere in the world, the great thing about the prime is that you are no longer dealing with the same spectrum of light and not constricted to pre programmed settings. you can over drive your led channels above 100% as long as there is unused power from dimming other led channels. the lunar function is connected with the lunar cycle. the night settings you choose will dim according to the current moon phase. i set the lunar times from 9pm-2am with 5% royal and 5% blue. 

im still figuring out the daylight settings but currently im just running 69% uv, 60 violet, 78 royal, 72 blue, 14 green, 20 red, 55 white (from 11am-4pm stable constant light) . i run hardly any uv or violet in the moring till about 11:30 and i have a 3 hr ramp up and down. staring at 8 am)

the ro/di unit is pretty nice but now im kinda wishing i bought a 5 stage brs ro/di unit because the ro buddie uses unconventionally small filter sizes. luckily though you  can replace the ro membrane with generic products. i make 5 gallons ever 1 1/2 hrs.. 

i dont really have a review for the wavemaker but i am already very impressed with it. pictures will be posted soon

i lost the royal gramma but my clowns (named bonnie and Clyde) are paired and doing great. 

added a acan lord and a green acro of some sort.

prime and mount- $230

ro/di buddie -$60

wavemaker -$89

total money well spent= $379

p.s. im using the 3rd chamber as a refugium/return. for the refugium light im using the evo stock light mounted to the wall 3 inches from back of glass